Emissive Decals

I have no idea if it's actually possible to get decals emissive but I have tried some minor things but I'm no good at decals, not used them too much, just those that comes from KindredArts' packs.
Was hoping if it worked it would fit perfect to do Sci-Fi stuff like Lightsaber cut or Blaster hole that's still warm or just like a Blaster scorch mark.

Could work perfect with some of Stonemason's sci-fi environments.

Added some example down below,

Lightsaber Cut1.jpg
602 x 370 - 17K
Blaster hole1.jpg
732 x 410 - 14K
Blaster Mark.jpg
356 x 361 - 63K

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,377
    edited May 2023

It is possible, I think.  I tried the first of KindredArts product (one no longer in the store) on a textured primitive, went to Surfaces Tab and applied a color and intensity to the Emission channel.  I used a dark HDRI, a little bloom, and rendered.   

glowingcube.png
    1626 x 1211 - 751K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • I tried it on a no textured plane with a dark hdri and added the emissive but no glow came... might try adding a texture to the plane and try again?

MetalSunde94 said:

I tried it on a no textured plane with a dark hdri and added the emissive but no glow came... might try adding a texture to the plane and try again?

I tried it on a textured decal wearable  (otherwise you end up having to do all the work and I believe all of the the KindredArts products come with one).

• nemesis10 said:

MetalSunde94 said:

I tried it on a no textured plane with a dark hdri and added the emissive but no glow came... might try adding a texture to the plane and try again?

I tried it on a textured decal wearable  (otherwise you end up having to do all the work and I believe all of the the KindredArts products come with one).

So you used a premade decal from one of KindredArts pack and just changed the emission and the hdri to a dark and it worked?

Gonna try out aome different methods.

Yep, it was quick and easy

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856
    edited May 2023

MetalSunde94 said:

Did you crank up the luminosity to a value with lots of zeros and make sure that your render settings use environment and scene lighting? 

Post edited by BradCarsten on
  • MetalSunde94MetalSunde94 Posts: 91
    edited May 2023

BradCarsten said:

MetalSunde94 said:

Did you crank up the luminosity to a value with lots of zeros and make sure that your render settings use environment and scene lighting? 

yes, completely dark... tried one from KinderedArts and one from the "Create-New Iray Decal Node" and with dark HDRI, cranked up the luminosity with "lots of zeroes" and had the "Dome and Scene" selected. 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • MetalSunde94MetalSunde94 Posts: 91
    edited May 2023

"trying" Attatched a screenshot where the camera light is on... otherwise it's all dark.

it's from  "Create-New Iray Decal Node" but added the bullet holes from one of KindredArts' product

Post edited by MetalSunde94 on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744

You don't necessarily need a decal node,  just using a plane primitive placed where you need it  with transaprency and emmissive  should work. 

• I wanted the decals to look like "blaster holes" like in star wars, and I would need the bullet holee decal from the KA firefight pack...too difficult to get it lined up with what you talks about.

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856
    edited June 2023

I did a little research and it seems that iray decals do not support emission. But FirstBastion's solution is quite easy to implement 

cut.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 223K
    Post edited by BradCarsten on
  • nemesis10 said:

It is possible, I think.  I tried the first of KindredArts product (one no longer in the store) on a textured primitive, went to Surfaces Tab and applied a color and intensity to the Emission channel.  I used a dark HDRI, a little bloom, and rendered.   

Was that really a decal you used there? 
    I've read now multiple places that iRay doesn't support emission on decals. And that were from a link on a daz forum from '16.

Stupid that they (nvidia and daz) can't figure a way to support it!

• If you apply the decal to a primitive that has the emission color set to something other than black, the luminance of the primative will shine through the mask area of the decal.  I know this doesn't make the decal glow.  But it might be helpful in some situations.