Confusion over the new Reality 4.1 installation

moon_babymoon_baby Posts: 41

Hi, I searched the threads but I haven't seen this topic yet so I'm assuming I'm the only who can't install the new Reality 4.1 into Daz Studio.  I bought it as an upgrade.  I already had 4.0 installed. When I downloaded the plug-in which isn't handled through DIM, it showed up in my download partition as odd symbol that I have never seen before.  Usually it's a zip file or a Daz Studio installer symbol.  This one looked like a Vulcan symbol. smiley  I clicked on it and it opened a black box.  My dad likened it to DOS.  It was not like any installer I've ever seen.  I proceeded to follow what it said and I typed in Y for yes and it asked me if I wanted to overwrite the previous installation and I said Y for yes.  And it did something and went away.   But when I opened my Reality in Studio, it was still 4.0.  It's definitely not 4.1.  So can anyone tell me how to do this right because right now I am totally lost and confused in California?

Profuse thank yous to anyone who responds.wink

Post edited by moon_baby on

Comments

• ronmolinaronmolina Posts: 118
    edited September 2015

The download file should have been a 7zip file which when clicked selve expands into a folder full of things including the installer exe. When you click the exe file it installs but make sure the folders it is showing are correct. Then you should see it in DAZ and open it once to register it. Also, after you expand the file there is an install manual in it. You may have just expanded the 7zip file. Hope that helps. So you know I downloaded from his site.

Post edited by ronmolina on
  • Hi, Ronmolina,

Thank you for you answer!  So the way you describe is that it should have expanded into a folder with an installer.  Correct?  What I got was a black box.  See attachment.  I clicked yes and it said that it was extracting.  And then it went away.  Except there was no folder extracted in my download files.  Nothing with todays date.  I found my old Reality folder extracted from a zip.  I clicked on it for the heck of it thinking you never know but it was for Reality 4.0.  So what did your file folder look like when you opened the 7Z file?  Was it like a real folder?  Or did it look like my black box?

FYI, I downloaded Reality 4.1 from Daz twice and they're the same.  

Reality 7Z file opening.jpg
    1920 x 1032 - 659K
  • It will extract to a regular folder. However, for me IE stripped the exe extension off of the 7Z file. Once I changed the name by addiding .exe to it it opened fine. In the folder is a new exe file that actually installs reality with all other support files including the installation pdf. The new exe file when clicked in the folder leads you through the process..

• moon_baby said:

Hi, Ronmolina,

Thank you for you answer!  So the way you describe is that it should have expanded into a folder with an installer.  Correct?  What I got was a black box.  See attachment.  I clicked yes and it said that it was extracting.  And then it went away.  Except there was no folder extracted in my download files.  Nothing with todays date.  I found my old Reality folder extracted from a zip.  I clicked on it for the heck of it thinking you never know but it was for Reality 4.0.  So what did your file folder look like when you opened the 7Z file?  Was it like a real folder?  Or did it look like my black box?

FYI, I downloaded Reality 4.1 from Daz twice and they're the same.  

Your image is not showing, but I had the same problem too.   The files says it is an EXE file, but it is actually a 7ZIP archive as ronmolina has already said.   I have a folder called Downloads where everything gets downloaded to, and it created a new folder in that Download folder called 'Reality_DS_w64'  containing 12 files and it is 179 MB in size.

If you still can't find it, do a search for the name Reality_DS_w64.   Inside that folder is the actual installer, it is a bit confusing.

• moon_babymoon_baby Posts: 41
    edited September 2015

@ronmolina and @JimmyC!  Thank you, thank you very much for your responses.laugh  I figured it out.  Yay!  First, here's what caused the problem.  I still had my Reality 4.0 extraction folder in Downloads. Coincidentally, the new version has the exact same extraction title, which was Reality_DS_w64.  Naturally, right?  So when the 7z extracted, it tried to overwrite the existing file.  At the time I didn't understand.  I said yes so it put it inside of the 4.0 folder under the title Assets.  I would have never have found it if JimmyC had not said to do a search in my downloads for "Reality_DS_w64."  There was all kinds of old stuff concerning that title but only two had yesterday's date!  Ta-da!  But, here's where it got tricky.  Even though I had found the extraction, it did not have an installer.  It came out fragmented due to the fact that it was trying to overwrite the pre-existing folder, I guess.  So to get a clean extraction, I removed all previous Reality_DS_w64 folders from my Downloads partition and tried the extraction again.  It worked perfectly.  There was a fresh, brand new folder and in it was the new 4.1 installer file.

So let this be a lesson to anyone who reads this and runs into the same problem.  Remove your old Reality_DS_w64 folder containing the 4.0 version before extracting the new 4.1 version.  They have the exact same title.  It will save you all kinds of stress and heartache!

Once more thank you to my two heroes of the day, Jimmy and Ron.  Hugz!  You guys are awesome!  Have a great week!  

Post edited by moon_baby on
  • Great to here it!