June 2023 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Scenes, Landscapes, and Working Modularly

New Users Challenge - June 2023

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around a while and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

New this year, we are breaking down each month into 2 different challenges. A Beginner Challenge and then also an Intermediate Challenge.

So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges

• New to Daz Studio

• Newer to 3D Rendering in General

• Or if you have not participated in the March Posing Challenge

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile

• Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in-depth topics

• Been using 3D Rendering Applications for a while and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics

• Or if you have already participated in the March Posing Challenge

*Please be sure to list in your post which Challenge you are participating in*

Closing date for both is June 30, 2023

For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread: Challenge Rules

They apply for both versions of the challenge.

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited June 2023

Beginner Challenge - June 2023

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

"Scenes and Landscapes"

This month's focus will be scenes and landscapes. If you haven't noticed when you look at images made by the various 3D software some of the packages do a lot better then others in treating an expansive scene or a magnificent landscape. Ones that come to mind are software such as Bryce or Vue. Both have some built in features that make those wonderfully big expansive images come true. DAZ Studio on the other hand does not have some of these features built into it but if you know the tricks there is no reason why you can't get those same kinds of results. For this contest we will be exploring the principles of how such scenes and landscapes are built and how to control the environment to create the sense of expansiveness a scene or landscape creates for the viewer.

There are some key elements that should be considered when creating a landscape, they are the inspiration, lighting, perspective and depth of focus. I have gathered some links for you that talk about each of these elements.

Inspiration:

Photos and Art:

Landscape Photography

Landscape 3D Art

Landscape Paintings

Surreal Landscapes

Perspective and Depth of Focus:

What a Painter Considers

What a Photographer Considers

Things to consider when setting up your landscape:

As stated by Jon A. Bell in his book, 3ds max 6 Killer Tips, "For more realistic outdoor scenes, especially if you're seeing a distant horizon, you should always add a slight amount of atmospheric haze.... If you look at a distant mountain range (or if you don't have one right outside your window, just grab a travel magazine or pretend), you'll notice how colors become muted and washed out with distance. You can use just a slight amount of atmospheric fog (it depends on the scale of your scene), and the colors will determine the clarity or quality of your "atmosphere." For clear outdoor settings, using a slight bit of white fog is desirable; for sunset or urban settings (where the air might be more polluted), a slight yellowish or reddish cast makes your horizons look better." In DAZ Studio you have a couple of options in getting that affect. The first would be to add just a tiny bit of Depth of Field so that the objects become a bit more blurred and muted. Another way is to have a volumetric camera that will add the fog feature to the render.

Lighting:

Approaching Realism in DAZ Studio and Gamma Correction Demystified

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54913/

Using HDR Files In DAZ Studio 3delight renders https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okaYS1jeAew

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37753/

and for Iray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5FZ5gS9v50

https://thinkdrawart.com/how-i-light-my-daz-studio-iray-scenes

Handy tools for DAZ Studio ( note: these can help but are not in any way necessary):

https://www.daz3d.com/terradome-3-iray

https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascatter-advanced-instancing-for-daz-studio

https://www.daz3d.com/modular-cove-landscape-creator

https://www.daz3d.com/digital-kit-bashing--cities-landscapes-and-structures

https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--realistic-landscape-system

https://www.daz3d.com/ultrasceneryxt--expansive-landscape-system 

Previous challenges and contests on the topic

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/571201/june-2022-daz-3d-new-user-challenge-scenes-landscapes-and-working-modularly/

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/498816/june-2021-daz-3d-new-user-challenge-scenes-landscapes-and-working-modularly/

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/412326/june-2020-daz-3d-new-user-challenge-scenes-landscapes-and-working-modularly

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/253991/june-2018-daz-3d-new-user-challenge-scenes-and-landscapes/p1

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/171661/june-2017-daz-3d-new-user-challenge-scenes-and-landscapes/p1

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/90721/june-2016-new-user-3d-art-contest-scenes-and-landscapes-wip-thread/p1

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/832212/#Comment_832212

Bryce 7.1

Bryce Landscaping

Bryce Basics

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • Intermediate Challenge:

Working Modularly

This includes kitbashing: combining elements of various products in unexpected, creative ways; and picturing items in settings other than what they were designed for. We’re looking for renders that go beyond simply using elements of a modular props or environment product (although these can certainly be incorporated into your work, and may make a good starting point). Ideally, your render should take a novel, unique, or inventive approach to using props and sets.

You don’t have to have expensive modeling software to create a unique 3D environment. Why not put a new spin on a few old products and tools?

Kitbashing Tips and Tutorials

Working modularly can be very rewarding, as it can greatly expand the possibilities of what you can do with the assets in your 3D library. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

• Here's my start for the Intermediate Challenge.

My characters outfit is what is kitbashed.  The armor is from Slayer Guard for Michael 3.0, the shirt is from Espionage for Genesis 2 Male(s), the rest other then the earpiece that he is wearing are the Tactical Boots/Gun/Pants for Genesis 3 Male(s).  His weapon also has a little kitbashing going on, the flash is from a differant gun prop.

To do:

1) Retexturing of differant surfaces for IRay

2) Adding the enemies he's shooting at.

3) Add some DoF(?)

The last one is a maybe I don't use DoF that much.

june2023a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 530K
  • Alias52Alias52 Posts: 284

Great start, Shinji! Have you ever used the geometry editor? It is a good way of grabbing bits of a surface and giving them different textures. Was thinking things like the pistol grip and maybe areas of the body armour would look good.

I am looking forwards to having a bit of time to have a go again this month. Kit-bashing is something I really need to work more on. Now, all I need is some inspiration!

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited June 2023

Alias52 said:

Great start, Shinji! Have you ever used the geometry editor? It is a good way of grabbing bits of a surface and giving them different textures. Was thinking things like the pistol grip and maybe areas of the body armour would look good.

I am looking forwards to having a bit of time to have a go again this month. Kit-bashing is something I really need to work more on. Now, all I need is some inspiration!

Yes I have used the geometry editor before.  Infact I used it in a render that I did a few years ago that was showcased.  Maybe even for this same challenge that year.

Edit - It was the November 2020 challenge that I did the scene in question for.

Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • apprenticeapprentice Posts: 58

Ok. Most probably the answer will be obvious - but I have to admit, that I don't know it. What is a volumetric camera?

• Version B of my scene.

Added a quad-legged robot and set the glowing survaces alight.

Also did some texture work on the scenery, and shifted the instance on the right side of the scene slightly to remove some wood from the colomn laying on the ground.

june2023b.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 585K

apprentice said:

Ok. Most probably the answer will be obvious - but I have to admit, that I don't know it. What is a volumetric camera?

Not an expert here. I have found that a volumetric camera is when you are using some kind of fog/smoke/cloud kind of thing. In my files, it is called a volumetric camera because it is outside the effect you are trying to cause. I am still learning, so this might be a new feature I didn't know about.

• Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Here's my start for the Intermediate Challenge.

My characters outfit is what is kitbashed.  The armor is from Slayer Guard for Michael 3.0, the shirt is from Espionage for Genesis 2 Male(s), the rest other then the earpiece that he is wearing are the Tactical Boots/Gun/Pants for Genesis 3 Male(s).  His weapon also has a little kitbashing going on, the flash is from a differant gun prop.

To do:

1) Retexturing of differant surfaces for IRay

2) Adding the enemies he's shooting at.

3) Add some DoF(?)

The last one is a maybe I don't use DoF that much.

Nice start! I appreciate how you've kitbashed an outfit from clothing made from different generations of figures (all the way back to Michael 3)! Looking forward to seeing the retexturing work. The scene looks a bit dark at the moment; you might try experimenting with some different/additional lighting in order to heighten the drama.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited June 2023

Version C here.

I did some more texture work fixing a mistake that I made with some of the debris, and converted his outfit to Iray and made changes to some textures and colors.

To try and help with the darkness from using a night time image for the image based lighting I'm using I added some flames behind the character and car wreck along with the debris I tweeked, (characters perspective not ours, they are just out of frame.) and some explosions in the vacinity and behind the quad-legged robot I added in version B.

Edit- it looks like I can't upload at this time.  I'll try again later.

Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • Don't know why I wasn't able to upload the render earlier, but here's version C.

june2023c.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 652K
  • LimunLimun Posts: 182

Intermediate Challenge: Lara's shout

No postwork 

Lara's shout 02.png
    1379 x 1034 - 2M
  • marconft6marconft6 Posts: 56
    edited June 2023

Intermediate Challenge

Title:  Cyber Assassin

Normally, clients want something stealthy and secretive. This latest one wants big, bold, and public. Time for the Cyber Assassin to get to work.

(Items used.... a lot.... Callan HD, dForce Electro Hair, Noah Sci-fi Outfit, Space Pirate Outfit, Sci-Fi Punk Outfit, M.O.A.B. Missile Silo, Cyberpunk Coupe Car, Sci-fi Outpost, MMX Smoke Trails, Real Neon Signs)

No post work was done. I combined the Missile Silo and the Sci-fi Outpost to make up the majority of the scenery. This was a lot of fun to do.

Success Uploading the file!!!

Cyber Assassin 2 JPG.jpg
    4000 x 3200 - 4M
    Post edited by marconft6 on
  • @marconft6, nice start on this can't think of much to suggest to add to if myself.  Also I know what you mean about truble uploading, I was having problems yesterday and had to restart my laptop before I was able to with my latest version.  If you still have problems with uploading yourself maybe give that a try.

• apprenticeapprentice Posts: 58
    edited June 2023

Level: Beginner

Title: The Forest in the Morning

landscape-morningv1_1_1920.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by apprentice on

@apprentice .... This looks great!

Great start, folks. 

@marconft6 I do love a cyber render. Love the wisps of smoke from the manhole. Have you thought about maybe a soft light on his face? The problem with all the neon in cyber is that some details get lost. (I'm also struggling with uploads. Managed one on my phone when I was camping in a field but not at home on full fibre setup...)

@apprentice looks like a place I would like to visit

@limun great start. However, you have a bit of poke through on the shoulder straps there. As a matter of interest, what was the kitbashing?

@Shinji Ikari 9th love the textures and lighting far more now. Good improvement

Darn it,  I need some inspiration... 

edited June 2023

Alias52 said:

Great start, folks. 

@limun great start. However, you have a bit of poke through on the shoulder straps there. As a matter of interest, what was the kitbashing?

Darn it,  I need some inspiration... 

Thank you Alias52 , i didn't noticed that :)  

Intermediate Challenge: Lara's shout

No postwork 

Lara's shout 05.png
    1379 x 1034 - 2M
    Post edited by Limun on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 702
    edited June 2023

Make a Wish

Intermediate Challenge

I used kitbashing to make the fountain, as well as the little girl's outfit

Fountain.png
    1667 x 2000 - 7M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • shack5876shack5876 Posts: 4

My entry into the Intermediate Challenge: Rearming for a Stealth Mission.  This uses the Thor station as a rearming platform and a scaled-down spaceship modified to mount twin Gatling guns (Vulcan cannon) under each wing and a laser rotor on the top of each wing. The pilot is a grey alien. Lighting is the station lighting supplemented with lights from the spaceship and with four six-light generators from a construction set. A robot is restocking the rocket launcher on the back of the spaceship. 

Rearming for a Stealth Mission.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 745K
  • HLEET_3DHLEET_3D Posts: 172
    edited June 2023

Title : Robot-chic

Challenge : Intermediate

Software used : Daz3D

hleet_3D_0633.jpg
    2438 x 3000 - 5M
    Post edited by HLEET_3D on
    edited June 2023

Emmy Test Scene

Will be Intermediate

So, apparently 6am works to add attachments!!! Not remotely finished yet but really enjoying the renders and wanted to post where I was so far! Taken the Emmy Gen 9 character and added a Danu Colm Jackson Gen 8 material to it. The rocks have added PBR shaders for now. There are plants and butterflies from various sources, hopefully blending in well enough with the rainbow grasslands.

I realise I need to do more actual Kitbashing. Plans include:

Using Geometry Editor to play with the sword and outfit. (I may have to change swords to see one with enough to tweak sections.)

I feel my character is underarmed and intend to add a dagger and sheath to the belt and look at the options I have on other outfits for throwing daggers etc. I remember a Raven assassin having some arm mounted throwing knives. (Recollections may vary...)

Need to add something else. Not sure what yet!

Emmy Scene 1.jpg
    2000 x 2400 - 4M
    Post edited by Alias52 on

Alias52 said:

Emmy Test Scene

Will be Intermediate

Need to add something else. Not sure what yet!

I like this :) , maybe you can change  the blade of the sword to add some metallic shine so that a reflection or mirror is seen on the blade.

also it would also be great if her eyes weren't in shadow ?!

it's just my opinion and sorry for my bad English, I can't express myself exactly as I would like

Agreed about the sword. I tried to tilt it more, but it appeared flatter! The shadowed eyes are partly because of the mood to convey but I may be able to add a little more!

Intermediate Challenge (Second Submission)

Title:  In the Hall of the Dragon King

About:  In the Hall of the Dragon King used to live a great society. No one ventures there anymore and the area has long since been abandoned.

However, on rare full moon nights, you can catch a glimpse of the large walkway and entrance at the base of the waterfall. Legend says that you can still hear the city rumbling, but no one dares enter.

(No post work)

Items used:  Dragon Hunt Weapons, Castillo del Diablo, Blur Crazy, Iray OceanWorx, Muelsfell Vast Ocean Modular Set, SY Super Splash Pack Iray, HH Wyvern

I used the Dragon Hunt Weapons to create the majority of the scene. The bridge, bridge supports, and entrance are all weapons (staff, shield, bow... respectively). I had to do some major scaling and deformation to get the look the way I desired. I originally added small torches along the bridge, but it made the scene way too busy and took away from the "age" I was trying to portray. I built the waterfall using the Blur Crazy product, added a few deformations (to match my Google Image search of waterfalls) and I think it turned out pretty good. I tried to do a gold tarnish, but it looked awful. Instead, I did add shaders to the gold leafing that was supposed to make it seem like the gold, used to adorn the structure, is peaking through the grime and rust of time.

Of course, something needs to be lurking in the water, right? Right?!

Hall of the Mountain Dragon 2 JPG.jpg
    3125 x 2500 - 6M
  • @marconft6  Good start that you have there.  If you haden't mentioned how you made the bridge I wouldn't have guessed it was verious weapons.

@macronft6 Now, THAT is kitbashing. Great job. I have to confess that I needed to look at the weapons set and I really admire what you have done with them there. Awesome job!

• I did another version of my render last night, but it looks like it doesn't want to upload at this time so I'll have to try again after I get home from work.

• Here's version D of my project this month.  I would have posted this morning before heading into work but it wasn't wanting to upload the image.

Anyway the changes are I added a stream of tracers going down range, a string of spent shell casings falling to the ground, and sparks from the bullents that have hit the enemy he's shoting at.

I also adjusted his pose so he was actually more or less shoting at where the sparks are, how he was had him way to the right of his target.

june2023d.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 658K
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 702
    edited June 2023

Version 2, fixed the position of the little girl's leg, and moved the dog so it's face isn't behind the water

Fountain2.png
    1667 x 2000 - 7M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on