Too dim for DIM, mac osx.10.03

I’m back. confounded by dim yet again. im completely unfamiliar with Daz Studio and its file management and want to install it and all its components. i promise this will be the last time you hear from me on this subject.promise. thank you for any light you may shed on this, to me, a most perplexing  below i have 2 files attached which show you how i have it configured. the image of the open folder is on a drive named content and is where i am trying to have all content and runtimes and downloads and daz 3d library directed. I successfully had dim download all files for installation to the correct folder called Daz 3d Install Manager DWNLDS.

I want my apps Daz studio, carrara and hex installed to my Startup drive. the path is Users/Dendron/applications/Daz3d and this is where i have 64 and 32 bit software directed to. not sure if thats right.

all content is supposed to go to my drive called content which contains my runtimes, content, daz 3d library(which i hope will replace the folder daz studio creates in my shared folder)

E, the ready to install attachment shows where i have my daz stuff installing to. does set up look right? if not what is wrong?  where  does photoshop 3d bridge get installed to? i have many more questions. i have scoured videos and daz for dimmed down explicit explanation that made sense to me. thanx

Iage E.png
744 x 493 - 1M
Content folder.png
349 x 359 - 490K

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,114

I don't do Mac, so someone else will need to answer the bulk of these questions, but I can tell you that you cannot use the same path for both 32 bit and 64 bit software. At least, not safely. First of all, when you install any DAZ software DIM will create a DAZ 3D/<software name> subdirectory; this will be 'DAZ 3D/Studio4' for DAZ Studio - 32 bit and 64-bit; It will then install the software in 'Studio4' - so if you install both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions they'll take turns overwriting each other.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I can show you my Install Settings panel. If you just set your own paths (click on the "..." button), it should be okay...

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 10.13.47.png
    668 x 645 - 91K
  • jrm21jrm21 Posts: 140

I'm on a mac. I am also testing a PC installation (on the same machine, running bootcamp). What goes where questions are just as tough on either platform. :)

On the Mac...

All my "DAZ" apps are in a "DAZ 3D" folder inside my "Applications" folder. I forget if I created the "DAZ 3D" folder of if DIM (or prior installation of some DAZ product) did it. EIther way, that should be apparent when looking at the install path listed in DIM.

When I install Carrara into that folder, it puts everything inside a "Carrara8.5 64-bit" folder it creates during the install process. Same for all the other software... Bryce, DAZ Studio, etc... they each end up in their own folder. Your post seems to have everything set up correctly for this. (All programs on startup drive, each in it's own folder).

Content is different. Like you, I prefer to keep my content on another drive.

Your post seems to indicate all content will go to the "Content" drive into a "DAZ 3D Content" folder. This will work, but ALL content will be in that one folder. If you have much content, it may make sense to break it down into further subgroups wiithing that "DAZ 3D Content" folder." This will mean downloading different items to different places (Genesis content to a "Genesis" folder, Buildings to a "buildings" folder, etc.)

The trick with Carrara is that these "external" folders are not readily viewable in the Carrara browser. They must be manually added to the browser window using the "add folder" function. Someone here recently turned me on to a great YouTube video:

This is a different way to organize your Carrara browser, but covers some great concepts.

Finally, keep in mind that the "Base" content that comes with Carrara may require some special installation tricks to work right. (That used to be the case - don't know if DIM fixed it). Basically, the "presets" must be installed inside the Carrara "package" program to be viewable in the broswer. The installer (last time I ran it) installed it in a separate folder and the user had to move the files inside the package. If you use the method described in the above video, you will not have to worry about this because everything is installed outside the program folder.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373

Thanx namffuak and jrm21 and tangoalpha  so many questions. namffuak i have 32bit checked because i have hexagon and its 32 bit and thought it would go to my app folder. is this not correct? i dont install any other 32 bit apps. i dont have much content but if i could organize it and get it running off a dedicated volume id get more. that video is very helpful thanx for the help i see a lot of trial and error coming up. thanx again. also where does the fotoshop bridge for daz studio install to?

• jrm21jrm21 Posts: 140

The Hexagon application should end up in the "DAZ3D" folder inside your applications folder. On my system it is just a program icon, no enclosing folder (although I am running a later OS, so Hexagon is just a non-functioning app).

I have never used PS Bridge, and am pretty sure is doesn't work with my (current versions) OS or PS.  My installer file indicates a 32bit software.

This DAZ help link provides detailed info on installation of the bridge:

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/21045731-How-to-install-and-use-3D-Bridge-in-DAZ-Studio-4-Pro

Hope this helps.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Hexagon won't work if you have an Intel Mac. (Still not sure if you're running 10.0.3 - Cheeta - or 10.3 - Panther)

tangalpha im running X.10.3 i mean 10.10.3 and hex runs just not very well. i usually run hex on a puter that has 10.6.8. i am optimistic hex will eventually get ported for 10.10 or el capitan when apple stops with all these os updates.

thanx for link jrm21