Two queries of Oriental nature ...

CaetlynCaetlyn Posts: 80
edited June 2023 in Product Suggestions

As the title says, I have two queries of an oriental nature and I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm in the process of putting together a Asian/Celtic fantasy graphic novel idea and I need two "items" that are essential to the story.

First - Horsetail whisk. A fairly simple one will do. Searches online for a 3D model came up with nothing. Any thoughts?

Second - a Chinese Phoenix. No, not the fiery type but one which is a composite of various other creatures. This creature is a traveling companion to one of the main characters and hence the nescessity. 

Post edited by Caetlyn on

Comments

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,518

The closest I've seen to a good pheonix is Songbird ReMix Birds of Legend by Ken _Gilliland, at Renderosity.  It comes with a red and yellow one and a blue and green one, and they have the long flowing tails and head crest.  Not exactly like the one you show, but you might be able to make it look more like it by editing the textures.

• sazzyazzcasazzyazzca Posts: 495

I've never seen either one, but you could probably get the horsetail from one of the adult sites. You'd probably have to find something for the handle though and do some "kit-bashing". Perhaps even a hi_res cylinder and apply bump and/or displacement to get whatever decorative look you're after.

• CaetlynCaetlyn Posts: 80

I'm looking for a horsetail whisk - not a horsetail whip lol

A horsetail whisk is a specific Asian weapon. It looks something like this ... smiley

• jparks123jparks123 Posts: 37

For the weapon, it appears to be a stick with horse tail attached. You could try a ponytail hair and turn the scalp part invisible, or maybe Daz horse has a part that can be used. The stick part should not be that hard to find. Or maybe experiment with the strand hair creator in Daz?

For the bird, I believe this animal is fènghuáng 鳳凰 (firebird or celestial bird) and I have seen it on Chinese 3d sites but not in Daz format. They use it a lot in video games so it's usually in OBJ or Maya. Convertible to Daz but probably a lot of work.

If you are asking around on actual Chinese forums be careful about using the word phoenix, a small minority would be upset due to certain things that happened in history regarding foreign invaders and their "careless" translations. There actually is a firey chinese mythological bird, it's known as zhūquè 朱雀 (vermillion bird) and can be on fire like a Greek phoenix.

• CaetlynCaetlyn Posts: 80
    edited June 2023

jparks123 said:

If you are asking around on actual Chinese forums be careful about using the word phoenix, a small minority would be upset due to certain things that happened in history regarding foreign invaders and their "careless" translations. There actually is a firey chinese mythological bird, it's known as zhūquè 朱雀 (vermillion bird) and can be on fire like a Greek phoenix.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm of Chinese descent myself so I know it can be a touchy subject. I tend to use my own knowledge of Chinese mythology for my art and writings.

I'm actually looking a fènghuáng not a zhūquè. I only used the term "phoenix" here with a description to make it a little easier for other Daz users. Thank you for your input anyway. smiley

Post edited by Caetlyn on