importing V4 deformers and limits from poser

YofielYofiel Posts: 204
edited October 2015 in Carrara Discussion

I saw some other posts on this, recently I had the same problems with opening poser files with deformers (magnets) applied to V4 and other objects. After setting the 'magnets in global space' in poser 2014 sr1, some deformers still did not work initially.

After some thought, I added all the elements with deformers to a Poser group. The grouping does not import to Carrara, but the imported elements are instead separate objects at the top level (not in UNIVERSE). Then many more deformers (magnets) appear to import correctly. 

I still cannot open a Poser file with limits disabled. A page on philc's site suggests this is because the Poser vertex ordering is different than it should be. Using the bones page to disable all limits globally causes the same distortions. I have to go into the individual elements where limits are exceeded and set them manually until I isolate the problem. 

It appears the next thing to do is to apply fenric's poser shader fixes. It would be nice if fenric could add fixes to the scen import problems too so there is a one-button solution, but I dont see any recent work from him and I dont know if he is still around?

Post edited by Yofiel on

Comments

• YofielYofiel Posts: 204

The other notes are, after the Poser file opens, I have to save it and reopen it, or I get crashes when attempring to rebuild the grouping I had in Poser which did not import; and that camera animations do not appear to import, but maybe there is something else I am doing wrong. Other than that, I havent found any other problems with positions. 

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Most people just load their figures from the Content browser. I assume when you talk about magnets and deformers, they are used to deform the mesh to create different character shapes? Is it possible to save the deformed figure out of Poser as its own .cr2 file that can be loaded from the Content browser? I have no experience with Poser since version 2, and even then, I didn't have a good grasp on it.

Since you are coming from Poser, you may not be in the Carrara mindset yet, but you can use soft select and magnets in the Vertex Modeler in Carrara to alter your figure. You can also create morphs for your character, and even edit the mesh in the Assembly Room.

I have no idea if camera movements can be imported from Poser or not. I know lights won't come across.