Gibbons (Lesser Apes)

AstraffelAstraffel Posts: 205
edited June 2023 in Product Suggestions

We have human, chimpanzee, gorilla, and orangutan. All we're missing to complete the living apes is the adorably lanky gibbon, also known as the lesser apes.

edit: I wonder if AM's chimpanzee or the gorilla could be used as a starting point for kit-bashing one...

gibbon.jpg
1280 x 720 - 276K
Post edited by Astraffel on

Comments

• sazzyazzcasazzyazzca Posts: 495

There's this really old Vervet model that could be used in the background with some shader updates.

https://www.daz3d.com/silverkey-3d-monkey

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,035

would look cute with Strandbased Dforce fur

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,874
    edited June 2023

I was going to correct you and say that we're still missing mandrills, but to my surprise, those (and baboons) are monkeys.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • AstraffelAstraffel Posts: 205

Gordig said:

I was going to correct you and say that we're still missing mandrills, but to my surprise, those (and baboons) are monkeys.

I'd thought about making this post requesting both gibbons and monkeys, and I had a similar thing thinking ringtail lemurs were monkeys only to discover they're in the separate group of prosimians.

edited June 2023

Hypertaf just released a new monkey for G9!

https://www.daz3d.com/chocos-the-monkey-for-genesis-9

Since gibbons are superficially monkey-like, this may be more viable for a lesser ape than one of the great apes...

I'm thinking: hide the tail, get a G9 body morphs set for the limb proportions (I just discovered that G9 has a few basic morphs built in!), try to alter the fur color (which has a version with the white rim around the face and a fully black eye preset!! (+a texture add-on)), and I wouldn't need to get the extra face morph set that I'd need for altering the G8 chimpanzee or gorilla.

This may be the way...

(coincidentally, the gibbon character I'd like to make is based on a beloved childhood toy I had that while labelled a gibbon was a generic monkey model, inaccurate tail and all)

• SadeSade Posts: 883
    edited June 2023

Sade said:

and dont forget my expansion neither :3

https://www.daz3d.com/hakapeszik-for-chocos-the-monkey-for-genesis-9

Those are great!

The reddish-orange one kinda reminds me of a golden snub-nosed monkey from China! Especially if one of the pale blue faces were swapped on.

edit: oooh, it looks a lot like a red howler too!

Here's a customized lar (white-handed) gibbon!

It was a bit of work to get the fur pattern correct. As I couldn't quite get an accurate white and blonde pattern, I decided to copy the dark capuchin textures (the one with the white edge around the face) to a new folder and manually altered the colors and patterns in an editor. I'm also currently using the red and black devil texture from the expansion. I like the extra details in the face and the idea that the red on the body may dynamically blend with the blonde fur in various lighting giving notes of a ginger undertone. Thanks Hypertaf and Sade for making this possible!!

I'm really happy with how it turned out!

Between this little fella and the maned wolf I recently made, I'm seeing a pattern of extremely long-limbed animals... which is strangely fitting as I myself am very lanky... Perhaps I subconsciously identify with them...

gibbon.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • SadeSade Posts: 883

its just awesome!

I'm glad you like it! This is the first thing to really get me interested in Genesis 9 stuff!

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

Astraffel said:

I'm glad you like it! This is the first thing to really get me interested in Genesis 9 stuff!

So, is the evolution of digital humans a premonition of our future?

Fur makes resource wasting fashion industry unnecessary and with the water levels rising, we need limbs better suited for living up the trees cheeky

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492

PerttiA said:

Astraffel said:

In all honesty, anything can be a premonition of the future. It's just that most premonitions are wrong. Some are right. Just don't know which is which until it's too late to do anything about it. But on balance, the premonition is more likely to be wrong than right. Look in every paper for what is predicted by your 'Stars' - how right is that? When it's right, it's so general and non-specific it applies to almost everyone including the other 11 star signs. Pfft.

Regards,

Richard 

PerttiA said:

Fur makes resource wasting fashion industry unnecessary and with the water levels rising, we need limbs better suited for living up the trees cheeky

Was there ever a gibbon in any of the Planet of the Apes films? I don't remember any, but I don't remember a lot of those movies either to be fair.

richardandtracy said:

In all honesty, anything can be a premonition of the future. It's just that most premonitions are wrong. Some are right. Just don't know which is which until it's too late to do anything about it. But on balance, the premonition is more likely to be wrong than right. Look in every paper for what is predicted by your 'Stars' - how right is that? When it's right, it's so general and non-specific it applies to almost everyone including the other 11 star signs. Pfft.

Regards,

Richard 

Personally, I prefer fortune cookies... 100% more cookie than non-cookie based prophecies...