Setting the default Hip translation

I have a character that has a non-zero value for hip Y Translation when Edit -> Figure -> Zero -> Zero Figure Pose is used.

This creates issues later when exporting the figure as an fbx.

I've tried every method of adjusting the height I can find in the docs for a way to set the default Translation for the hip but have not found a way to do so - either the figure's feet are floating in the air or General | Transforms | Translation is non-zero. I need the figure's feet on the ground with all the Translations showing zero offset.

~ Is there a way to change the default Translation values for a hip joint so that when Edit -> Figure -> Zero -> Zero Figure Pose is used the joint's Translation controllers all read zero?

Comments

• Which figure is it?

• I don't have that to check, but I thought most Genesis 8 characters used morphs to scale and so kept the feet grounded. I am not sure how you can do this - there are ways to resolve one half of thje aim, but both together is trickier.

• Ah - so the recommended way would be for the artist to have scaled the hip joint instead of setting a Y offset? That would make sense.

I've noticed a lot of variance in artists techniques for getting the result they want - it does make for some interesting challenges when trying to create a 'catch all' conversion solution!

Do you think it would work if I zero the translation offset and then scale the hip joint to get the feet back on the ground? I'm away from my computer right now, but IIRC the hip joint has no geometry bound to it, so scaling it shouldn't distort the figure...

• The scaling benefit is that it can be, with care, done from the ground level - in this case you would effectively have to remove and redo the size adjustment.