Any good free model painting applications out there?

As it says on the tin.

There are a bunch of 3D modeling programs ranging from free to not so much. Anything out there for actually painting the models, dealing with UV maps, etc?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918
    edited October 2015

Everything I use or can think of costs money. We use Substance Painter, Mudbox, Zbrush and C4D Bodypaint

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Blender...and that's about it.  I've been looking for a while and Blender is about the only one that has much in the way of 3D painting...and it isn't anywhere near the feature set of the paid ones (although it is one of the items that will be seeing more work in the upcoming releases, it's still pretty basic).

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited October 2015

painting on 3D models used to be pretty exclusive to high packages(ie a few grand), but now there are some reasonably priced ones for a few hundred bucks or less. 

Free, not so much. Cept blender but since thats not it's primary task I can't imagine it's competitve with dedicated painting apps(already mentioned by Frank). There is also 3D coat and Blacksmith 3D.

Mudbox has a free trial and is 10 bucks a month. 

Maybe find some trials and see how those go.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

According to its website Sculptris can be used for 3D painting.  I do not have this program but there is a youtube video on their website:  http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964

Kismet: Hmm, that's worth poking at, thanks.

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,105

Hi Will!

I wonder if it is not possible to make painting in blender ? (I have other softwares  so I never tried in blender) :

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Manual/Textures/Painting

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

Blender might be not the best idea for painting unless you are already comfortable with the interface for modeling. I don't see non-Blender users working easily with the painting tools if that's the purpose of them using Blender without some other features established in their repertoire. Wow, I thought I'd never say anything bad about Blender in these forums but I just proved myself wrong. Dang!

theres a video of modeling in Blender and texturing in GIMP

the only more free than that is Bob Ross comes to your house (Zombie Ross - makes an awesome Halloween costume!)

Photoshop CC has model painting but I've not had a chance to try it yet, I'm on the phone with Adobe tech right now since CC blew up on my Mac after I installed El Capitan Caveman.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I have sculptrix and it is possible to paint in it although I haven't gotten around to trying it yet since I am trying to learn the modelling first.  One thing with Sculptrix, if you are dong the modelling make sure that you are totally finished with the modelling part because once you switch over to the paint side you can't go back and change anything in the modelling part.  I really like using this program, it uses triangles instead of squares and add polygons as you go, no having to click to activate the mesh or anything.  super super easy to use.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I've texture painted in Blender, and it seemed to do a good job, in comparrison to other softwares I've seen; familiarity with Blender generally would definitely help a little.

• If you are a student or teacher/educator through a registered educational institution, then you can get the full Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate 2016 (Maya, Mudbox, 3DS Max, Softimage, MotionBuilder) for FREE (non-commercial use of course)

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/

Just need to register with your education details