Outdoor winter wear for extreme cold climates please

It would be nice if there was some heavy-duty winter wear similar to what people who live in 40 below and colder winters wear to go outside.

I'm not looking for fashion wear or ski wear, but rather big parkas with hoods, one-piece snowmobile suits, tall heavy winter boots suitable for trudging through deep snow, etc.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,293
    edited June 2023

While I agree this would be a welcome addition to the store we do need to bear in mind that it would be hard to rig - the further the surface of the fitted item is from the skin the harder it is to get it to bend naturally, especilly if 9as here) it is bulky rather than just hanging loosely. It is also more challenging to get morphs to project nicely.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,028

I would be happy if there are coats with a closed and open option, and warm clothes that can be layered and mixed and matched: shirts, blouses, sweaters, vests, slacks, skirts, flat-soled boots, scarves, mittens, ski hats, those ski-masks that look like you are a robber, heavy ski boots, ... for everything from the simple winter temps of 30 degrees F down to below freezing and with gale force winds (think blizzard) and you still have to go to work. Farmers, rescue workers, service workers, teachers, kids, cops, firemen/women, medical folks, people who can't work from home, but have to go out into it. Or for those who are enjoying skiing, sledding, skating, or watching hockey. And if an office outfit for the ladies needs heels, a bag to put the pumps in, and exchange them at the office where you are warm and dry. 

Reasonable clothing and accessories that will keep one warm, along with emergency supplies. Less fashion, more real-world. 

We have had a few choices in the past but they are few and far between. And some are very old. And an open coat will not keep you warm or dry when it rains or the air is freezing.

Please.

• sazzyazzcasazzyazzca Posts: 495

Richard Haseltine said:

While I agree this would be a welcome addition to the store we do need to bear in mind that it would be hard to rig - the further the surface of the fitted item is from the skin the harder it is to get it to bend naturally, especilly if 9as here) it is bulky rather than just hanging loosely. It is also more challenging to get morphs to project nicely.

Quite honestly, I don't bend so well either when I'm bundled up for very cold weather either LOL.

But I understand what you're saying. It sounds like it would be something time/labour intensive, perhaps a labour of love or self-challenge for the artist to create, but not necessarily very profitable. For me, a higher price would be worth it, but I get it, bills don't get paid on one or two customers. On the other hand, it's not like the market is saturated with those items, so they might actually sell quite well. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

sazzyazzca said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Quite honestly, I don't bend so well either when I'm bundled up for very cold weather either LOL.

But I understand what you're saying. It sounds like it would be something time/labour intensive, perhaps a labour of love or self-challenge for the artist to create, but not necessarily very profitable. For me, a higher price would be worth it, but I get it, bills don't get paid on one or two customers. On the other hand, it's not like the market is saturated with those items, so they might actually sell quite well. 

Cold weather wear has been asked for many times over the years and FWIW it has gotten better than it used to be, but as you pointed out, there are still lots of options left to be explored.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010
    edited June 2023

Even with the v-neck sweaters and open coats, The Nomad for G3 is about the best there is so far.
    https://www.daz3d.com/nomad-for-genesis-3-male-s-and-female-s

Although my winter clothing some 40 years ago was a t-shirt, jeans and a thin summer jacket at -25C to -30C (-13F to -22F)

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492
    edited June 2023

I rather like Hypertaf's Winter Trendy https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-winter-trendy-outfit-for-genesis-8-females. Wouldn't be good for long at much below freezing, but it isn't too bad.

Post edited by richardandtracy on

memcneil70 said:

I would be happy if there are coats with a closed and open option, and warm clothes that can be layered and mixed and matched: shirts, blouses, sweaters, vests, slacks, skirts, flat-soled boots, scarves, mittens, ski hats, those ski-masks that look like you are a robber, heavy ski boots, ... for everything from the simple winter temps of 30 degrees F down to below freezing and with gale force winds (think blizzard) and you still have to go to work. Farmers, rescue workers, service workers, teachers, kids, cops, firemen/women, medical folks, people who can't work from home, but have to go out into it. Or for those who are enjoying skiing, sledding, skating, or watching hockey. And if an office outfit for the ladies needs heels, a bag to put the pumps in, and exchange them at the office where you are warm and dry. 

Reasonable clothing and accessories that will keep one warm, along with emergency supplies. Less fashion, more real-world. 

We have had a few choices in the past but they are few and far between. And some are very old. And an open coat will not keep you warm or dry when it rains or the air is freezing.

Please.

Having a close option is so important!  I live on the prairies. Winters here can be brutal and blizzards are not an uncommon occurrence. The only people you see in fashion wear are the youngsters before they freeze a couple of times and smarten up, or those who go from their heated garages to heated parkades. Normal folk who have to walk to a bus stop through ankle-deep or higher snow, and then from the stop to their work building, or take multiple busses and have to wait outside for their connecting bus, or trudge from their parking spot into their place of work, dress for comfort in the cold here. What is a winter status symbol here is having the best quality boots and jackets and branded touques. It's kind of funny how people can be snobby about the insulation value of their clothes LOL.

FSMCDesigns said:

Cold weather wear has been asked for many times over the years and FWIW it has gotten better than it used to be, but as you pointed out, there are still lots of options left to be explored.

I was away from 3D for many years and just came back to it in March. I have to admit, there is a LOT more variety than there was when I left, and a LOT more "real world" and everyday clothing.  Given that 3D is ever-evolving, I have confidence that eventually someone will figure out a way to make these bulkier clothing items work well. 

PerttiA said:

Even with the v-neck sweaters and open coats, The Nomad for G3 is about the best there is so far.

Although my winter clothing some 40 years ago was a t-shirt, jeans and a thin summer jacket at -25C to -30C (-13F to -22F)

For me, it was mini skirts, pantyhose (which is essentially bare legs), high heels, and a short unlined leather jacket. That foolishness didn't last more than one winter. I hadn't seen The Nomad outfit before, but have wish-listed it now. I don't see an option to close it though. Nevertheless, it's a really nice set.

richardandtracy said:

I rather like Hypertaf's Winter Trendy https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-winter-trendy-outfit-for-genesis-8-females. Wouldn't be good for long at much below freezing, but it isn't too bad.

I do have that one and also quite like it. The way it falls without clinging and the loosen morphs help give the effect of a proper winter coat that you'd wear sweaters under. I've wish-listed the add-on cuffs and collar as well. I think the shearling effect of them makes it look like a much heavier and warmer coat. 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492

If you can't find what you need, I can offer a few appropriate freebie poses:https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/545601/g8f-shivering ;)

Regards,

Richard 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744
    edited June 2023

We absolutely do not have enough parkas,  nor ones that can zipper shut.

Post edited by FirstBastion on

@Luthbellina we beg you to update your wonderful https://www.daz3d.com/nomad-for-genesis-3-male-s-and-female-s for G9, G8, G8.1 and dForce it and with more options, like a closed parka maybe and the backpack that can lay down by itself and bits & pieces come off to use when hiking and setting up camp at night? That outfit set a standard that is remarkable.

And don't forget kids who have to go to school. They need jackets, beanies, mittens, scarves and boots that can be lost on the way, left at school or on the bus, dropped in the gutters, or taken by the older school's bullies from them instead of lunch money.

• AstraffelAstraffel Posts: 205

A good suggestion! I'd also be interested in general extreme cold attire.

Specifically, I have an interest in expedition-grade gear, but I don't mind making adjustments to more everyday stuff. I love the design of the expedition outfit from the Rise of the Tomb Raider game, and while I have the AJC Cropped Style Outfit and the Ski Bundle, as the sazzyazzca mentioned in the original post, those are more fashion and ski style.

Nomad does look nice though!

edited June 2023

This outfit is designated as military wear,  but it certainly has the look of cold weather appropriate and could handle below freezing temperatures visually speaking**.

https://www.daz3d.com/mi-tactical-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-81-males

** as determined by a guy who works outdoors through Canadian winters.

FirstBastion said:

This outfit is designated as military wear,  but it certainly has the look of cold weather appropriate and could handle below freezing temperatures visually speaking**.

I remember seeing that on the main promo here:

https://www.daz3d.com/modern-weapons-collection-2-poses-for-genesis-9

No idea if that's a default autofit on a feminine form though.

Astraffel said:

FirstBastion said:

I remember seeing that on the main promo here:

https://www.daz3d.com/modern-weapons-collection-2-poses-for-genesis-9

No idea if that's a default autofit on a feminine form though.

I just autofit the  https://www.daz3d.com/mi-tactical-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-81-males to G8.1F and used the 'fullbody' selection. Everything fit perfectly and the sliders to adjust things worked. Since I just tried to attach a render to another thread I didn't make a render for you, but this will fit the military women or scientiest in your party. The only issue you might have is kitbashing a hat. 

It is only now in the 21st C that the military women have work/combat uniforms design specifically for their bodies (except for the pregnancy uniforms in the 80s/90s). Every non-ClassA/B uniform I wore was a male uniform, once the older blue cotton slacks of the 50s were done away with. So too big waistbands, long sleeves, tight chests were the norms.

Mary

As a wrokaround to the forum image upload problems,  I uploaded images to my daz gallery MISC. folder, and then copy the link to get the image to show in the forum. it is an option if you want to show the image. .

edited July 2023

I think I have posted one image to the gallery and that was before the redesign. Will the MISC folder keep those images private to the general gallery viewer? It would solve a lot of issue for me.

Mary

Well I put it on my gallery but I can't embed the image here, so here is the link.

Post edited by memcneil70 on
    edited July 2023

memcneil70 said:

I think I have posted one image to the gallery and that was before the redesign. Will the MISC folder keep those images private to the general gallery viewer? It would solve a lot of issue for me.

Mary

Well I put it on my gallery but I can't embed the image here, so here is the link.

After you have uploaded it, you must click on it,  and it opens as a jpg or png.  Copy the address bar link and then add that to the your forum post using the image button at the header of leave comment tab..

FirstBastion said:

As someone who walks to and from work daily in Canadian prairie winters, I concur. With proper headwear, it'll pass. I bought it during the sale. But I'd still like to see more bulky parkas with hoods and longer ones that can close fully. We need one-piece snowmobile suits too.

I did find these other sets, but they're on the thin side. 

https://www.daz3d.com/winter-clothing-for-genesis-8-male-s

https://www.daz3d.com/winter-clothing-for-genesis-8-females

Well I thought it was uploaded, I saved it. Not sure what I am doing there. Arghhh!

Saved it to my iMac, and just tried to attach it here, but an hour after I was able to attach two renders, I can't attach one now.

I am sorry, this is a nightmare.

edited July 2023

memcneil70 said:

Okay maybe now you can see the image?

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5332490294132736#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1297327

We see her outfit now.  That is a realistic looking winter wear outfit.  All she needs is a touque*.

I usually reduce female chest size when putting them in mens clothing,  to reduce the distortion in the clothing mesh.

(* correct Canadian spelling)

edited July 2023

Use this button to upload image to forum,

then place link in this URL field here in the popup that appears   and change width size to 800 or less to meet forum rules.

I tried that, but I couldn't get rid of the Lorem Ipsum filler. I tried, it drove me crazy, I never had that issue before.

Someone was concerned with if autofit would work without a lot of girations needed. So I did a straight, no messing around transfer. 

As far as a tougue, or ski hat, PhilW has https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-beanie-hair-for-genesis-8-and-81-females which might work. I am currently looking at my library of hairs and have found two that came with hat fits, so people could check hairs out for that then pick a hat out, or use https://www.daz3d.com/sy-hat-and-hair-helper-genesis-8 (I haven't seen one for G9 yet, she has a large library to move up.) to squash down any hair with any hat.

Mary

• The image button isn't uploading, it is linking to an external image - and it needs an image URL rather than a link to a page that show an image plus furniture around it, which is not supported by a lot of hosts (they want to pay for their service from advertising revenue).

edited July 2023

The method above will allow you to post the gallery linked image. I tried to soften the colors a bit might work with a bright  red, yellow or green too.

edited July 2023

The winter hat I used above was a christmas freebie last year.   It was only in store for a week or so,  but some people might have it in their Daz Content Library. the strands of hair are included with the Hat.   "Christmas Knitted Hat For Genesis 8 Females"

After failing to attach a reference image of the Tomb Raider expedition outfit I mentioned before, it seems to have randomly worked. (I made a half dozen attempts over the past few days)

Additionally, I have attached two stills of Kate Beckinsale's Antarctic outfit from the 2009 film Whiteout. They may not be exactly the style of what the original poster was requesting. They're some of my personal favorites, and despite the design differences, I thought it may be of interest to see a 3D rigged model compared to a real version.

Anyway, I think I could alter a less extreme, more everyday style parka to be similar to these for my characters' expeditions.

Side note: I love the vibrant lighting in the close up!

rottr-expedition-outfit-3300x2550.png
    3300 x 2550 - 6M
    whiteout-far.jpg
    1440 x 750 - 318K
    whiteout-close.jpg
    3504 x 2336 - 1M

memcneil70 said:

Someone was concerned with if autofit would work without a lot of girations needed. So I did a straight, no messing around transfer. 

Thanks for taking the time and effort!

Other than what appears to be some geometry tearing in the collar (from the pose?) and some floating buttons (which should at least be able to be hidden), the overall fit looks good. I do find it very helpful to see what the default distortions are.

You are most welcome @Astraffel.

Mary

In my wanderings, I came across this set. It appears the jacket can be closed, and is loose enough to have a bulky look that suggests warmth. It would still need headwear, but I think it has potential.

https://www.daz3d.com/cyber-girl-nakano-outfit-and-hair-for-genesis-8-female