Anybody know some good eye-poses for G8?

Doc_1189058Doc_1189058 Posts: 30
edited July 2023 in Product Suggestions

So, this is a reworking of a previous moan of mine from when I initially switched from using V4 to G8. Ultimately, G8 is better in every way apart from facial expressions. G8F and M have the emotional flexibility of Mark Zuckerberg and making them form any heighened expression is like pulling teeth - or in this case - pulling eyelids.

The functionality of the eyes in general are terrible. The number of times I've found myself screaming "JUST LOOK OVER THERE. THERE. JUST LOOK, YOU FOOL." because they only seem to have 75% movement in comparison to an actual human being, but that can at least be remedied by manually moving the eyes and telling the "up/down left/right" sliders to go screw themselves.

But the eyelids are an absolute nightmare. Trying to make a G8 character appear shocked is the single most painful task in the decade-long experience I've had with this great program. They don't move. The "shocked" expression-slider looks more like "there's a new coloured M&M I never knew about" as a posed to "I've just found my wife in bed with my best friend and all my Iron Maiden CDs have been smashed to pieces" - which is a whole UNIVERSE of difference.

I'm changing tactics with this ongoing gripe, and am BEGGING someone out there to recommend some better poses/morphs for the G8F/M face. There must be something out there that can widen expressions better, and put these terrible facial sliders to rest! Expression-sliders are okay, but obviously what I'm really looking for are basic pose controls that are better than the crappy ones that come with G8.

I really don't understand how they could stand by a product this bad.

I'm sure if you know this problem, then you know it. But if you're finding it hard to understand what's made me so mad, I'll strip it right down to the main thing I'm trying to solve; G8F and G8M eyes do not open wide enough. The only way to do this is to use specific expression sliders, which is annoying if you want the eyes open without that expression! - I've tried disabling limits for some of the sliders, and that never seems to work.

EDIT: Genesis 9 isn't too bad, I just looked at it. The literal "wide" function for the eyelids does an infinately better job than anything I have on G8, but I'm not finnancially ready to start building my G9 library, so I'd still like something for G8. Any advice would be appreciated!

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,174

I know the 'problem' but it is not that bad ... I was lazy so I started to use Look at Me from G3 era : https://www.daz3d.com/look-at-me-ii-pose-control

As for manual tweaking, I'm afraid there's no shortcut but just go for using those Pose Control dials...

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,364

Have you tried using the face rig.

• Moved to Product Suggestions as it is not a Daz Studio application topic. Art Studio or Technical Help might also have worked for suggesting other options.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744
    edited July 2023

This is G8F,  and the eyes can be set fairly wide open. 

1surpriseand shockat 100percent.jpg
    750 x 422 - 98K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • FirstBastion said:

This is G8F,  and the eyes can be set fairly wide open. 

Yep. If you go for surprised, open the eyelids as wide as possible, you get this.

Now try an enraged expression. That's Angry, with the eyes open as wide as possible. It just isn't happening.

Now try absolutely any other expression besides surprised or afraid. Too many of the expressions lock out basic functionality of the face.

• scorpio said:

Have you tried using the face rig.

I've no idea what this is. I'm sure it'll likely help a lot, but I've never used anything like it.