3rd Party content installation issues

Since I upgraded to the new daz 7.8 my third party content has stoped working, the program keeps telling me files are missing and I can't seem to locate my content management window any more. The instalation option for third party content that was apart of the previous daz studio seems to have disapeared in the latest version. So I guess I am back to square one with installing 3rd party content. Main question here is. How do I install 3rd party content in the new daz 7.8 studio?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,438

The same way you've always done it. There is no difference. Where are you trying to unzip the content to? Extract the folder into a temp folder and post a screen cap of it so we can see what's going on.

• MicheleMichele Posts: 48

Okay, I attached the screen shot. The new look of the data base maintinence appears to me that there isn't a way to manualy add files to my library. 

1 screen shot.jpg
    1360 x 768 - 216K
    edited October 2015

Are you trying to add a content library to DS? If so its the wrong place to do it.

Post edited by frank0314 on

I am trying to add the content folder to My Library. I was able to do this before through the data base managment. Basicly once the file folder for the third party content was unziped I would add the file directory to my librarythrough the data base managment. 

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited October 2015
    Michele said:

Since I upgraded to the new daz 7.8 my third party content has stoped working, the program keeps telling me files are missing and I can't seem to locate my content management window any more. The instalation option for third party content that was apart of the previous daz studio seems to have disapeared in the latest version. So I guess I am back to square one with installing 3rd party content. Main question here is. How do I install 3rd party content in the new daz 7.8 studio?

I think you mean DAZ Studio 4.8, that is the latest version?   There never was an option for installing third party content that I know of, in any version, so not sure what you mean here?

To add a content library, it is the same place as always, Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager.   If your library contains Poser items it needs to be added to both DAZ Studio Formats AND Poser Formats.

From your screenshot, you appear to be using the 4.8 Public Build (Beta version) which is not a good idea.   Download and install the latest version 4.8.0.59 which should be available in your Product Library.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on

Okay, I had the areas confused. just found the right one I think. I think I was confusing the other window for this one.

ScreenShot_2.png
    1360 x 768 - 169K
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891

Why are you using the Beta version?

Because it gets automatic updates.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

So does the regular version and it is newer than the beta.

Okay, I'll give that a try. I'm still learning the ins and out's of the program. smiley

Okay so I switched it over to the pro version. It looks like my old version so hopefuly I can get my third party content back in. smiley 

I think this might actuly be worse. I can even find my library now. lol ugh I feel thourghly stupid.

Screen shot 3.png
    1360 x 768 - 114K

Yeah! I found my workspace City limits and my 3rd party content fixed it self! Jumping for joy. angel

Okay so my previous content is good but my new third party content still isn't showing up. Not sure what I did wrong on the import of the directory.

Try re-importing your metadata and see if they show up.

I will try that,Importing the metadata aging, I haven't done that yet.

My content was working for all of a hot minute now I get this when I try to open up my model. 

ScreenShot4.png
    1360 x 768 - 243K
  • SoneSone Posts: 84

Hi Michele,  Click this (Red arrows I'd made) for the dropdown menu and do .... Search Hardrives for Files . It has worked for me in the past, hope this helps you.

clickthis.JPG
    1358 x 769 - 152K

Thank you, that helped out great.smiley

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,115

that will find your stuff, but it's going to make a huge mess out of your content library.It will map things that are in your downloads folders, desktop , and just about every where else.It's much easier to put them in the folders they belong in. If you move one of those things out of the folder it's in, Studio won't be able to find it anymore.

Installing 3rd party items isn't as difficult as it seems.

In your content library you see folders with names like "data", "runtime", "Characters" and so on. You need to merge the folders that came with your new item with the ones already in your content library.

Your screenshot of the character that is made of blocks means Studio can't find the geometry files.That means either they didn't get downloaded or the Content Directory Manager isn't pointed to the same folders that DIM is.Both DIM and Studio need to be pointed to the same folders so they both can find your stuff :)

Once you get Studio and DIM both set to look in the same folders, things will start working.The beta needs to be setup manually as well.I caution against pointing a beta class software at anything you want to keep.The beta might change things in such a way the release version can't read or use.

I would suggest keeping completely separate content libraries if you plan to test the beta. Version isolation is a key part of beta testing any software.It allows testers to determine if the beta is functioning as intended.

If you need help getting your content directories setup, just let us know. :) It's pretty simple once you've seen how to do it.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Make sure that you have mapped the folder CONTAINING the runtime (or other top-leve DS folders), not the runtime itself.  For example, if you had a content folder "C:\MyProduct\Runtime", in the Content Directory Manager you would map "C:\MyProduct" as both DS and Poser content (or only one or the other if it wasn't in both formats).  If you are looking for your content in the Content Library pane's Categories view, you must first also go to the menu and select "Scan known directories for files" to tell DS to look for new files in the folders you just mapped.  If that doesn't work, then:

Can you post a screenshot of a Windows explorer window showing the full path of the content folder with the runtime folder (or other top-level DS folder) within it?

Then, post a second screenshot showing your Content Directory Manager with both the DS native and Poser content expanded, so we can see that they match?

My third party content is finally showing up. But now my morph dials have disapeared. Have all my shaping dials disapeared because of the way the files were searched and found for the third party content? 

• Ading directories shouldn't disable morphs - which figures is this affecting?

All figures. I can't figure out what went wrong. I tried un-installing daz and re-installing but none of my morph dials will show.
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Michele said:
    I tried un-installing daz and re-installing

A quick note to save time later; this doesn't work. Your content files, the database that drives your Smart Content display, and the settings that let D|S know where to find your content, are not stored with the D|S program itself, so going through yet another uninstall/reinstall will never solve a content problem.

That said, did you add a new directory path, or change an existing one? If you found new stuff but lost old stuff, it sounds like you changed instead of added.

• It may be that there is now a nested content directory confusing the issue, or that there are two folders for the older (Victoria 4 etc.) figures and the first found doesn't have the morphs. Is this all as in older (V4, m4 etc.) and newer (the Genesises)?

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

The only way to do a completely clean uninstall and re install is to not only uninstall but go to your computer files and delete all of the folders that say daz 3.  After everything is off (empty your recycle bin) you can then do a comptelely new install.  But make sure any free content you may have is saved in a separate folder so its easy to find and you don't have to track it down piece by piece.  (ask me how I know lol)

It may be that there is now a nested content directory confusing the issue, or that there are two folders for the older (Victoria 4 etc.) figures and the first found doesn't have the morphs. Is this all as in older (V4, m4 etc.) and newer (the Genesises)?

I work mainly with Genesis and Genesis 2, and genesis3. So how do I reload all my morph files? I have but ton of them and am not sure where to locate the files.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Try searching your product library (from your account on the DAZ website) for "morphs", that might get you a bunch of the installers.  "morph" will perhaps get more but also show you clothing you'll have to weed through.  If needed you can unzip/install into an empty temporary folder to see what files result.  If you use DIM, I think you can right-click or click the arrow or something after selecting a product to see what files are installed and what locations they installed to also.

Okay, I'll try that. Thank you for your help, I really apreciate it. smiley