Sun! And general lighting of scene and skydome.

Iam having trouble lighting a scene, This one is open doors, I have a nice wintry skydome, Loaded a ground set and some props to fill out nicely, When i set my lights on my character or focus of the scene everything else is quite litteraly black. Despite pre render the backdrop / skydome looks beautifully well lit and frosty! I know i remember seeign a video to remedy this months ago when i first started out but iam having a horrible blonde moment in remembering my lighting tuts.

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

The Skydomes only work in 3Delight, not in Iray. In Iray they stop the light getting through from the Iray dome and the scene ends up dark.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Are you using Iray and do all the surfaces have Iray settings or the UberIray shader on them?  How are your lights set up and what kind of lights are you using?  Can you show a screenshot of your setup?

• Yes, Using Iray, And as far as i know everythign has an Iray uber-base applied to them, I have an winter skydome and a matching light but as i said, It produces no light even with skydome enabled and Envio lights. That said i also have a basic 3 light set up on my character complete with Rim, main ect The world remains dark aside from the character lighting, This said, I will double check my Iray settings for all objects later on this evening.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,896

If you are using scene lights and a skydome, be sure you have either Dome and Scene or Scene Only selected for Environmental Settings.

Otherwise the renderer is ignoring everything except an environmental map or sun light (both of which are being blocked by the skydome)

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

You say Skydome. If that's a physical item in the scene (i.e shows up in scene contents) it will block the sun in Iray. Skydome is probably a term that shouldn't be used in conjunction with Iray.

If it's a HDRI file with light, that's a different story.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985

To use a Skydome prop with Iray, you can apply an emissive shader to the Skydome material, then add lights to your scene.  A good example of this technique is the recent release of DM's Stones of Graith.

1. On the Scene tab, select the Skydome prop and go to it's Surfaces tab.
    2. Press the Control key and apply the Emissive shader in the DAZ Uber shader preset folder.
    3. On the Material Preset Load Options, change Images: to Ignore, press Accept
    4. Go to the Emission Color channel on the Skydome's surfaces tab, click on the dropdown button on the left and add the Skydome's jpg.  It's the same jpg on the Base Color channel.
    5. On the Emission Temperature (K) channel, change the value to 6500 +-.
    5. Finally, change the Luminance value to 40,000 +- to "light" the Skydome.
    7. Add lights to light the scene. 

• You shouldn't need steps 2 and 3 - the Emissive preset should ignore maps anyway.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Instead of using a huge emissive geometry, which tends to slows down renders, use Will's method of changing Refraction Weight/Index to 1.0. It makes the dome transparent to external light, yet still shows the image. He wrote it up here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/63014/yet-another-iray-skydome-technique

This has the benefit of still allowing you to light your scene with the Iray Environment, either Sun-Sky, or an HDRi (without the map showing, of course). Light from an emission source is by default diffuse, with little or no shadowing.

Heh, I totally forgot about that, thanks. (bookmark)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Bookmarking

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited October 2015

Excellent!

EDIT: I tried this technique on DM's Stones of Graith sky dome.  In addition to the settings on the first post in this thread, set: 

Surfaces tab:
    Set Glossy Color to White
    Set Luminance to 0.00

Iray Render settings:
    Draw Dome to On
    Environment Mode: Any mode except Scene Only

I also removed any lights loaded with the scene preset.

Post edited by Lindsey on
  • ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

If you have a Luminance node, it means the Emission Color is something other than black, and this could route some processing through the maze of tangled web that makes up the Uber Iray shader. Otherwise unnecessary, so best to bring that back to black; the other nodes associated with geometry emission should then disappear.

Yeah, I kept plugging away at various emission ideas before figuring out it was unnecessary. Glossy color acts like a 'gel' for transparent objects.