How do I get better render times?

I started with an EVGA GTX 750Ti (2gb of RAM) video card and though that is a decent card it was slow when it came to rendering the iray stuff. Now I have an EVGA GTX 980 (4gb of RAM) and I don't really notice a difference in rendering speeds.

What else can I do to improve rendering times?

My system as is:

CPU: 4930k overclocked to 4.3 ghz

RAM: 32gb of G.Skill Trident X 2133mhz (4 x 8gb)

MB: Asus Rampage IV Black Ed

Graphics: EVGA GTX 980 4gb SC ACX 2.0

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,892

Are you sure you've selected GPU rendering?

Because those two should be hugely different.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Without seeing a scene, lighting in it and what the render times are, 'slow' is meaningless...

• Are you sure you've selected GPU rendering?

Because those two should be hugely different.

I did not know about this option. I take it this is an option in the program.... I'll look and see if I can find it. Thanks!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2015

Download SickleYield's test scene from this thread and run it...post your render times.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53771/iray-starter-scene-post-your-benchmarks

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,892

GPU rendering:

On the lower right (probably) are a series of tabs. Surfaces, shaping, etc.

Click on Render Settings, then Advanced tab in the panel that comes up. There will be a check box for CPU and GPU rendering -- you want to at least attempt GPU-only, so uncheck the CPU and make sure GPU is checked.

If this wasn't set up that way before, it should make a huge difference unless you have an absurdly huge scene that won't fit in GPU. (But I have a 970 and have seen huge jumps from a 750 or similar, I forget exactly which I had before)

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Use them both; should be an increase there.

Reduce the resolution, it will render faster.

• GPU rendering:

On the lower right (probably) are a series of tabs. Surfaces, shaping, etc.

Click on Render Settings, then Advanced tab in the panel that comes up. There will be a check box for CPU and GPU rendering -- you want to at least attempt GPU-only, so uncheck the CPU and make sure GPU is checked.

If this wasn't set up that way before, it should make a huge difference unless you have an absurdly huge scene that won't fit in GPU. (But I have a 970 and have seen huge jumps from a 750 or similar, I forget exactly which I had before)

I found it. Those settings did not seem to make a difference. The scene I am trying to render is a Harem scene (looking for a fantasy pool scene like you may have seen in Roman times) with three bodies in it so far. I believe two of the bodies are in Iray.