Why is Stephanie 5 a "Character"?

barbultbarbult Posts: 23,842
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Why does Stephanie 5 show up in DAZ Studio as a "Character Preset", instead of showing up in the "People" section with the other Genesis derivatives like Victoria 5, Victoria 5 Supermodel, Michael 5, and Michael 5 Superhero? At first I thought she didn't install. Then I read the documentation page and found her. Is this just another metadata inconsistency, or is there a good reason?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,293
    edited December 1969

Probably just down to someone different doing the final set up - you could open a support ticket or a bug report, though I doubt they'd want to d a full update just for that.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

yeah cridgit , I think so. (sorry barburt, it is not concern your problem,, I think,,
    so just ignore this)

I think daz do not have a reguration how to categorize,
    and daz had announced it public or vendor?

so their meta-data system has not many means for user.(maybe some-user)
    half of user do not like meta-data and never use smart contents, I think.

and they keep the bug if we use the product view.
    they cleared what I serched in product view. after road one item.
    it is so frastrated for me.

(I think if people can not use the product view, almost
    meta-data is just toy, because product view is new categorize way for files in products

so, if use smart-contents effectively, must need improve them more flexible and usable

I try to make many many many meta-data as I like.
    and after install 4.5 some duplicate products icon appear.
    I just delete the metadatas with anger.

I hope someoen make topic about - meta-data.
    I want to shout there about meta-data.

about why meta-data and "smart contents" are not loved by everyone.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,842
    edited December 1969

OK, since there isn't an important reason for her to be inconsistent, l'll move her. It seems like metadata quality is on the decline. I've recently gotten two different products where props and materials were completely backwards (dsf was called material and dsa was called prop). The free motorcycle helmets was one of those. I'm getting pretty good at using cridgit's metadata tutorial. Thanks for your replies.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    There have been numerous inconsistencies in DAZ store metadata categorization over the past months, particularly around Props, Sets and People/Characters.

It isn't just the metadata, in many cases the files themselves are installed in inconsistent locations. Sometimes props and materials and morphs that all come as one character set are placed in one folder in /People/Genesis/Characters/ and sometimes they're split up in any of half-a-dozen different ways, not all of which make sense to me. I don't use categories or the CMS, so all I do is juggle the files until everything that should be together, is.
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,842
    edited December 1969

I've often wondered who packages the files into their final directory structure and who makes the metadata. Is it DAZ or is it the individual creative artist that made the model? If artists are doing it, it seems that DAZ QA should ferret out those that don't comply to standards and require a redo. If it is all done at DAZ, I don't understand why they are not doing a more consistent job of it. It has such huge potential, but I think so many people are turned off by it, because so many products are delivered with metadata that contains errors and omissions.

I do thank DAZ very much though, for providing us the tools to create and modify the metadata ourselves. I also am very grateful to cridgit for the great metadata creation tutorial. Without that, I would never have figured it out at all.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

Her install jacked up my content db too, had to reimport all metadata to recover.and reinstall DS to get Smart Content back. Its still wonky(smart content filter) but better.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I've often wondered who packages the files into their final directory structure and who makes the metadata. Is it DAZ or is it the individual creative artist that made the model? If artists are doing it, it seems that DAZ QA should ferret out those that don't comply to standards and require a redo. If it is all done at DAZ, I don't understand why they are not doing a more consistent job of it. It has such huge potential, but I think so many people are turned off by it, because so many products are delivered with metadata that contains errors and omissions . . .
    From what I have seen, it is the vendor that makes the file structure . . .

And what I understand from a previous conversation with Male-M3dia is that although vendors have the option of creating their own meta-data, they often find it difficult to do correctly so they usually leave it to the DAZzlers.
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,800
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:

This is and will continue to be a problem until DAZ sets a standard and ruthlessly enforces it.

Completely 100% agreed. S5's placement in the "Character" Preset section definitely surprised me. You'd think DAZ themselves, of all peoples, would never make an error like this, especially to a Millennium Icon of all things.

Unless this is simply a continuation of the pattern where in Gen 4, all the Iconic base figures were subjective morphs to the Victoria & Michael unimesh. V5 & M5, being the leading couple on the new Genesis line, get the honors of being up-front as "People" and everyone else who comes along take the back seat as "Characters".