Carrara Installation Corrupted and Not Working

Argh.  angry

My Carrara is not working.  I am going to have uninstall and reinstall.  Oh, the pain of various plugins and free utilities.  Oh, the pain.  angry

I get an error that it can't find one of the VWD files when Carrara first loads.  Carrara quits if I try to conform hair or clothing to a figure.  Carrara freezes up if I try to model in the assembly room.  crying

Oh, the pain of uninstall and reinstall.  angry

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited July 2023

UPDATE - MORE SADNESS

Uninstalling and reinstalling Carrara did not fix the 'conform to' issue.  Something deeper is wrong.  surprise  None of the plugins should need to be installed for that basic function to work.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5139166/#Comment_5139166

you've had this problem before.... could it be the same?

• Why would uninstalling and reinstalling carrara help with a VWD issue? Is that a file that is part of the base VWD or is it a configuration file, an you tell?

Richard Haseltine said:

Why would uninstalling and reinstalling carrara help with a VWD issue? Is that a file that is part of the base VWD or is it a configuration file, an you tell?

I think the file missing warning (the VWD issue) is a deeper file reference problem, not a VWD problem.  At least, that would fit with the other problems I mentioned which are basic Carrara functions.

Oh, the pain.  sad

edited July 2023

Progress

Well, I not only uninstalled Carrara, I wiped all other files in the directories.  I did a fresh install.  Now when I start Carrara I do not get the missing MCX file error.  And I can load a M4/V4 type figure and conform a clothing or hair item to it without crashing, and I can model in the assemble room.  Yay.

Now I just need to re-install everything else.  surprise

Not to jinx myself, but this unistall/reinstall is going reasonably well so far.  Famous last words.  No plugins yet.  We shall see.

Stezza said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5139166/#Comment_5139166

you've had this problem before.... could it be the same?

Maybe this is just a regularly scheduled missing MCX file error for me.  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,858

well I cannot have Mimic plugin installed with Octane on my new installation on my new C drive yet I copied over the exact set of extensions I had before where it worked

VWD just throws up an error now on both Carrara versions if installed upon loading not that it worked on the Win10 anyway (crashed upon sending back to Carrara) but I only have the original version 

Malwarebytes deleted Carrara.exe in the middle of a render on my Win7 the other month but I rescued it from Quarantine 

so much cannot be explained 

good luck and perseverance heart

edited July 2023

Progress

Having mixed results with the plugins.  

Example of good.  - Philemo's converter from Carrara dynamic hair to vertex mesh is working.  yes

Example of not so good.  - The 3rd party 'Noir' and 'Parchment' scene filters brings up the menu but do not do anything when applied.  no

edited July 2023

Progress

Problems with accumulated Carrara content folders.  Argh, many of my browser folder references are gone, but not all.  Sorting this out is going to be a b!tch.  angry

For example, my folder with the helix and other math formula objects from 'That Cool French Site' is missing.  

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 190
    edited July 2023

Diomede said:

Progress

Problems with accumulated Carrara content folders.  Argh, many of my browser folder references are gone, but not all.  Sorting this out is going to be a b!tch.  angry

For example, my folder with the helix and other math formula objects from 'That Cool French Site' is missing.  

The browser folder references are in the Preferences.txt file (in Users\<your user>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Carrara 8.5\ ) Hope you have a backup from which you can restore it.

I guess you referring to this 'That Cool French Site'  http://gianp.free.fr/carrara/indexcarrara.html

Perhaps you might want to consider my proposal on setting up the Extensions folder. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/485406/sharing-my-extensions-folder-setup#latest

Good luck!

Post edited by RuudL on
    edited July 2023

Thank you, @Ruudl.  Yup, that is 'that cool French site.'  I had copied each math formula and pasted in Carrara's formula modeler, then edited to add p1 and p2 parameters for adjustment, then saved to my browser for future use.  Would suck to have to repeat the exercise, but I should be able to find my old directories.  Presumably, they are still on my computer and on the backup drive --- somewhere.

And I really appreciate the link to the post on your presets folder.  Thanks.  yes

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

WendyLuvsCatz said:

so much cannot be explained 

good luck and perseverance heart

+1

Thank you for the encouragement, @UnifiedBrain and @WendyLuvsCatz

I have a working copy of Carrara 8.5 Pro again, which is the most important thing.  The remaining problems are mostly with some specific plugins, and in navigating my backups to find all of my own creations.  The problem with just copying whole directories is that some things will have the wrong file references - like for shaders that I edited at several different times between different re-installations.  Not having VWD working is a particular annoyance for some of my projects if I made the figures purposely avoiding conforming accessories.  Seems like my VWD goes bonkers on a regular basis.  Argh.  But I am up and running!  yes

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Between the experience of you and Wendy, I'm starting to think I was fortunate to miss the recent VWD sale.frown

edited July 2023

Diomede said:

I had copied each math formula and pasted in Carrara's formula modeler, then edited to add p1 and p2 parameters for adjustment, then saved to my browser for future use.  Would suck to have to repeat the exercise, but I should be able to find my old directories.  Presumably, they are still on my computer and on the backup drive --- somewhere.

That site also offers the possibility to download the objects in Carrara format (version 1.0) The download zipfile also contains a fbx and poser version. So no need for copy and paste. Just click one of the tiles on the download page ( http://gianpf.free.fr/indexzips.html )

Post edited by RuudL on

Diomede said:

Argh.  But I am up and running!  
    yes

I am glad that you are up and running again.