DAZ IM slow

Why not upgrading to faster formats? ZIP use a single core while 7Zip and other newer formats can use all cores and have better compression ratio

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,293
    edited July 2023

I can't say I have ever found the unpacking to be a serious bottleneck as it is, are you installing (or reinstalling) large  numbers of products in one go? If it's noticeably slow to install even a single item I would look suspiciously at your security software (or other system tools that might monitor file activity).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • leonardo_3285321dleonardo_3285321d Posts: 96
    edited July 2023

Yes, reinstalling after a pc format takes a while. Backup also take more space. Why not adding .7z compatibility?

Post edited by leonardo_3285321d on
  • SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,764

I would imagine that the main reason is that zip is "good enough" and so there is no need to change.

There is absolutely no way Daz is going to re-package ~45k product archives (probably WAY more than that since some products have multiple zip files) and switching to 7z format would mean that DIM, Central and (possibly) Connect would all have to be updated to support both extraction methods.  Even so, this would not solve your main issue seeing as all the old ones would still be in zip format.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

SofaCitizen said:

I would imagine that the main reason is that zip is "good enough" and so there is no need to change.

There is absolutely no way Daz is going to re-package ~45k product archives (probably WAY more than that since some products have multiple zip files) and switching to 7z format would mean that DIM, Central and (possibly) Connect would all have to be updated to support both extraction methods.  Even so, this would not solve your main issue seeing as all the old ones would still be in zip format.

Not to mention that Windows has native Zip support, which makes it easier for the Average Joe.

• If DIM support 7z I can repackage myself my products.

DAZ can save a lot of bandwidth (money) with this format if then decide to convert the catalog.

Normal users are not supposed to open these zip files, but install them with DIM, so there is no problem about the average Joe.

Implementation is quite easy as there are a lot of open source libraries supporting the format.

Perhaps, but they will also lose a lot of both time (writing a suitable script) and money (CPU resource) with unzipping and 7zipping over 45,000 packages.

In addition, many users do not use any package manager and prefer to manually install things so moving away from zip could annoy those people.

Just because libraries exist does not necessarily mean that adding them to your application is easy. There are language concerns, licence concerns, API concerns. Plus the extra testing and QA work that would have to be put in. They would also have to code in support for both zip and 7zip since even if they decided to re-package the entire back-catalogue that will take some time and you would not want to stop people buying things whil that happens.

Therefore, I think it's unlikely that they see this as a good project, especially as the amount of people who re-install everything from scratch is probably quite low.

I suggest that if you are re-installing from scratch regularly that you either install products to a separate storage drive that can transition across reinstallations or setup a regular backup routine.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,842

Nothing will happen by suggesting a change here. Daz developers don't scour the forums looking for suggestions on how to do their job. If you want to pursue it, you need to submit a help request to Customer Service. That is the official route for offering a suggestion. Don't be surprised if you only get a response saying that they have forwarded your suggestion to the developers, and then you never hear anything more. You will not engage in a conversation with the developers.

• DAZ is frozen since many years and I'm not expecting any new feature developed. Mine was just a suggestion and I still think that adding a newer storage format will benefit users and DAZ for the future. Compatibility is preserved and 7z can be used for new packages only or if users want to repackage their library.

• Then what's the point of this "Product Suggestion" forum if not monitored?

leonardo_3285321d said:

Then what's the point of this "Product Suggestion" forum if not monitored?

The point, I believe, is to suggest products for PAs - i.e. for users to make suggestions for outfits, environments, props etc that they would like. There are some PAs that browse here and so perhaps they would see the requests and maybe add them to their list of things to make.

• I submitted the ticket, let's see