>.< don't understand collision detection. sometimes locks the figure?

i have loveybear and noodles in this scene.
used send to origin and now i want to drop them to floor.
so i added an infinite plane.  
raised Lovey and Noodles into the air and turned on collision detection.

Loveybear works just as i'd expect.
-select his name in the instantances box and move his blue handle. he floats very nicely to the plane.

but Noodles doesn't want to move.  
with collision detection on i can't move his handles.  
if i select his hip he'll move,
but he's not collision detecting with the infinite plane.

looking back and forth at their settings, can't figure out the problem?

they both constraint 'full'.  tried constraint 'none' on noodles didn't change is frozen attitude.

no understand
what's going on?

thanks.

understanding collision detection1.JPG
869 x 692 - 106K
understanding collision detection2.JPG
893 x 667 - 105K

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

just had an idea, mebbe ik settings?  where the ik on/off hiding ...

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Hard to tell from the perspective, but it appears the cat's bounding box is bigger or more offset than the bear's bounding box. Carrara may be working longer calculating the position of the mesh or there are invisible parts of the mesh (manipulator handles?) that are colliding. There is also the possibility that the mesh is higher density than the bear. In any of these scenarios, Carrara may take longer to calculate the collision. If you click and drag the manipulator and you don't see movement right away, try keeping the mouse button depressed for awhile and see what happens.

bounding box?   invisible bits collide?  

so many mysteries still  lol

thanks.

edited October 2015

doh, Noodles is wearing a collar.  mebbe i need to group cat and collar so they'll move as one?

that didn't work.

mebbe parent the collar? 

deleted the collar, now noodles is moving.  yay.  

but, how do you move something with clothes or anything attached to it?

scap, didntwork.JPG
    887 x 686 - 84K
    Post edited by Mistara on

next experiment, :)

Can i set an object in the scene to not be included in collision?

Can i set an impact sound clip for when things collide?

Thanks.  

Could do these experiments all day  lol

scap conenotcollide.JPG
    1082 x 571 - 91K
    scap sound collision.JPG
    1074 x 705 - 96K
    edited October 2015

Many times Poser models use handles or manipulators to pose things like dresses and the like. Many times you can hide the handles with a shader that uses the alpha channel. The handles are part of the model's geometry and all a shader with an alpha channel does is make it look invisible. It's still there though, and it will still collide.

Regarding the collar, was it a conformed collar or a prop collar? If it was conformed, it may not have been part of the cat's group which could cause some issues perhaps. If it was a prop, then I assume it was parented to the neck or something? That shouldn't cause the non-movement issue, unless the collar had a different movement constraint than the cat maybe.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

maybe cat is conformed to collar rather than vice versa

i tried making a group of Noodles and the collar.  That didn't work.
    Tried parenting collar to Noodle's neck, didn't work. 

gave up on the collar for now, trying to finish this project in time for the faeriewylde halloween.

there's no way to make the cone not be included in collisions?
    I have it in the center there, so i can use 0 to bring my camera to center.

just had an idea.  a boolean of the cone and infinite plane to make a vortex of terror.
    there's something about a blackhole in rarra somewhere. soo tired right nows.

i've seen utoob videos with balls rolling down slopes with rarra physics,

but what about making Noodles walk down a slope?

Physics won't help with that. You would need to keyframe the animation. You could create a walk cycle and then use the motion path to translate the figure down the hill.
  • dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373

this collision detection bug been around a long time. same problem here. if the objects are too close they lock. i havent tried it in the new beta. i am on a mac but apparently pc's and other macs dont have this problem. if i move the object far enuf away i can get on the ground. but if i have to position it next to another object i have to turn off CD and slide it across the ground and eyeball it.

• I think part of the collision problem comes from clothes and other objects that are parented to figures. They automatically collide when you try to move them. I seem to rememeber a work around that I read somewhere. Select the figure, clothes and parented objects and group them. Then drag the group around.