Problems Getting the Right Sized Render

inquireinquire Posts: 2,130

I have one of those 16 x 9 aspect screens on a Macintosh. I can drag the Viewport as wide as I want. But, I want to get a render for a person who is standing, and I want a real close-up. I want the render to be longer than the height of my screen. I've tried going to render settings in DAZ|Studio 4.8 and changing the aspect ratio, but that still doesn't work. I've tried changing the pixel count. Still can't get it to work. I've clicked the show aspect proportions (or whatever it's called). I've gone from Active Viewport to Custom. I've tried the various sizes, such as Letter, or Legal. Still can't get what I want. Question: What steps would I take to double, or tripple the height of the render window, assuming I want it two times or three times the height of my screen? Another Queston: Should I have the Aspect Control set to On or to Off?

Post edited by inquire on

Comments

• Turning off Constrain Proportion and entering the desired values for width and height should work.

Set render size.JPG
    356 x 458 - 40K
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,130

So, it's the "Pixel Size" that I want to modify? I was also trying the "Aspect Ratio" (Global). What does the "Aspect Ratio" do? 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,392

Aspect ratio controls the ratio between height and width. When "constrain proportion" is on it should adjust automatically the pixel dimensions so that the ratio between them corresponds to the aspect ratio you set.

For example on Richard's screenshot it's set to 1:2, so height is supposed to be twice as long as width. If you change the width to 1500px when constrain proportion is on it will set the height to 3000px automatically.

If you set width at 1000px and then change 1:2 to 1:1 when constrain proportion is on it will set height to 1000px.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

You also need to know what the resolution of your screen is. You should be able to set aspect ratio to 16:9 and then just put the height value to twice or three times your screen resolution.

If you don't want to maintain your screen proportion, then turn off "constrain proportions" as Richard instructed.

OK. Thank you for the comments. I'll experiment with this. The default screen resolution by the way is 2560 x 1440.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

Screen resolution really means nothing as far as image size goes. A 1000 px wide image will still only use up 1000 pixels of any screen it is viewed on no matter the resolution smiley The only time you need to worry about resolution is if you want a print of the image. To get the pixel size you multiply the print size by 240 or 300, most printers will work fine with these resolutions, For example to get a 10"x8" print image the rendered image should be 3000px by 2400px at 300 pixels per inch or 2400px by 1920px at 240 pixels per inch. The image, although saved at pixels per inch, will be printed at dots per inch which will be converted by the printer driver.

For your question of doubling the render height:

1. turn "constrain proportions" OFF

2. set H to 2880

3. set W to whatever you want.

4. render

Well, I set the Height to 3880, the Width to only 250. You were talking about doing this in the Pixel dimensions, right? The Constrain Proportions was set to OFF. I still didn't get what I wanted. It was still too wide. And, I wanted a really tall figure, closeup and taller than the height of my screen. Didn't happen, though the figure was taller. I looked through the VIew Aspect Ratio, with the Camera I was using. It looked too wide, but I did get the figure streatched out from the top to the bottom, height wise. I tried narrowing the viewport, but  the figure kept getting too small. I thought,  "Maybe it will work out, so I'll render and see what happens. If it's too wide, I can always crop the  image in Photoshop."  But I really wanted that tall figure, taller than the height of my screen. Nope, did not happen.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

You will have to scale the figure to fit in the viewport. To get it to fit in that viewport you will have to stretch it up in the Y scale and shrink it in on the X  or Z scale depending on the orientation of the figure.

The actual render will be taller than your screen. Isn't that what you wanted? Otherwise it's not really clear what you are trying to accomplish.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

What were the dimensions of the rendered image?

fastbike1 said:

The actual render will be taller than your screen. Isn't that what you wanted? Otherwise it's not really clear what you are trying to accomplish

Yes, that's what I was trying to accomplish. The actual rendser did not come out taller than the screen.

edited October 2015

What were the dimensions of the rendered image?

OK, checking in Photoshop, here's the dimensions of the rendered image: 

As you can see, the image came out wider than taller, which is not what I specified in the render settings.

Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 4.54.18 AM.png
    428 x 355 - 53K
    Fishtales said:

You will have to scale the figure to fit in the viewport. To get it to fit in that viewport you will have to stretch it up in the Y scale and shrink it in on the X  or Z scale depending on the orientation of the figure.

Well, no, it's a human figure. I was aiming for a realistic effect. I would not want to distort the figure like that.

Can you post a screenshot of your render settings?

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

If   you have set Your render camera >Dimensions>Use local dimensions "on" witout intention?

If you use local dimension, you must need to set local Dimension about the camera which you use for your render image.

not  set for gloval render setting, or other camera on the scene.

As  my pic, I use local dimension about my render MainCam.   1700pix  =H  is too high for my monitor.

But  I can see bear and trush through MainCam frame without problem  in 3d scene view.

after that  I get long pic which can not see in my Scrren without scrolling , If I really need it.

iraytest.PNG
    1353 x 795 - 1M
    edited October 2015

You should have seen something like this for your viewport.

Your camera and viewport will autoscale until you render. The render will be the size you specified and will require you to scroll if larger than your monitor resolution.

pixel size.PNG
    1084 x 1034 - 119K
    Post edited by fastbike1 on

Can you post a screenshot of your render settings?

Sure. 

Render Settings.png
    684 x 567 - 92K
    edited October 2015

If   you have set Your render camera >Dimensions>Use local dimensions "on" witout intention?

If you use local dimension, you must need to set local Dimension about the camera which you use for your render image.

not  set for gloval render setting, or other camera on the scene.

As  my pic, I use local dimension about my render MainCam.   1700pix  =H  is too high for my monitor.

But  I can see bear and trush through MainCam frame without problem  in 3d scene view.

after that  I get long pic which can not see in my Scrren without scrolling , If I really need it.

OK, I think this is it. I didn't even know about Local Dimensions. I'm still not sure what it is. But when I checked in the Parameter Dials for the camera, yes Local Dimensions are on. I guess that's the default. What does it mean, exactly?

Anyway, I turned the Local Dimensions to OFF, and that did it. Thank you, everyone, who provided information. And thank you, kitakoredaz, for the tip on Local Dimensions.

I am rendering, and yes, getting the kind of render I want. It will be long and tall, and I'll have to scroll to see the entire figure.

Can anyone explain what the Local Dimensions is for?

Local Dimensions lets you set different render dimensions for each camera.

edited October 2015

OK, thank you. Learened some things here.