Freshly Installing DAZ 4.8 on a New PC with a SATA and an SSD Drive

I am new to DAZ. Quickly got addicted, purchased $500 or so in the first two months. I just got a new PC to handle rendering better and I am trying to install everything to the new machine. I downloaded DIM in hopes of installing the program to my SATA drive so it wouldn't take up room on my smaller 250GB SSD. But when I ran the .exe file, it installed everything immediately to my C Drive (the SSD). 

I uninstalled everything and now I need to start over. Two questions:

1. Is there a thread saying how you can do a fresh install onto the drive of your choice

2. If that's too much of a hassle and I just want to install it in the standard fashion, how can I get DIM to start and run and let ME decide which files to install, rather than downloading EVERYTHING automatically? 

I've been searching these forums for a few days with no clear answer.

Thanks!

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439

DIM has to be said on your main HD/SSD. You can download and install to a separate location, say a secondary drive. Once you get DIM installed on your main HD just point DIM where you want everything to go. The main app takes next to nothing in space.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited October 2015

I have an SSD as main and well, a number of drives and SSDs.

Install Daz, to C drive; basically derfault install for Daz and the Install Manager.

Once installed set your content library location to you Mechanical Hard Drive (Not SSD)

The small image shows how I make backups of files from three places and store them in the folder shown

App Data is under: C:\Users\[YOUR_NAME]\Downloads - although under Windows 10 it might be some combination of various characters if you did the free upgrade

The _withHexagon just means when entering the folder there is a Hexagon folder as well, you might not have or might be different.

Untitled-2 copy.jpg
    485 x 142 - 58K
    Post edited by nicstt on
  • sjreid2003sjreid2003 Posts: 4
    edited October 2015

Thanks to both of you for answering...I really appreciate it. So I just re-downloaded the Install Manager and let it install to the recommended path on my C drive (SSD).

That's the only thing I've downloaded so far. I open it up and see this:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2rwb6si.jpg

Then I press Start and log in and it connects and says that I have 116 already installed , and 49 waiting to be installed. 

http://i61.tinypic.com/2vrvc46.jpg

But I haven't downloaded anything except the DIM so far. Why does it say 116 have already been installed? How do I get these to download again and intsall on the new PC?

Post edited by sjreid2003 on
  • tristanthorne1997tristanthorne1997 Posts: 241
    edited October 2015

Oops - Looks like I posted as my alter ego. I created a secon account in an attempt to get DIM to think I had nothing already downloaded. That didn't work. Both accounts show the same files already being downloaded, even though they aren't. :(

sjreid2003 and tristanthorne1997 are both me...

Post edited by tristanthorne1997 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

DIM saves information on what products have been installed in the ManifestFiles folder (I think the default location is C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\Install Manager\ManifestFiles) -- if you copied over that folder it will think those products are installed.  Delete the contents of that folder.

• Fixmypcmike - That totally helped!

Question - Is it recommended that you check the box that says Delete Package After Install in DIM? A bunch of Zip files are downloaded into my SSD Drive:

C > Users > Public > Public Documents > Daz3D > Install Manager > Downloads

but the content files inside the Zip, when installed, are on the SATA drive where I want them. 

Can I delete all the zip files in the C drive after I have installed them? Or move them to a backup on another drive?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439

yes you can delete them. All that is needed is the manifest files once installed

• Thank you. I love this forum!

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You can also change where they download to.

• As I am downloading everything to the new PC, can I skip files that say Poser or PS, since I don't use Poser? Or will their ommission cause any conflicts in DAZ at all?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Download them elsewhere, your mechanical HD, and then keep them, I keep them all. If there is an error, redownloading everything is going to take some time even on a fast connection.

• Thanks, Nicstt. What about my last question regarding Poser formats? Is it ok to skip downloading them since I don't use Poser?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

In DIM, on the "Ready to Download" tab click "Download Filters" and make sure only the software you need is checked.  That will filter out the Poser format files unless they are needed for DS.

• Thank you again, everyone....I'm back in business. :)