Advise for architecture designs

i would like to start a bit with architecture design, any hints, tips and advised are appreciated! :)

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Architools by inagoni  I could be a start . What exactly do you want to do? 

• I am thinking about making a photorealistic 3D model from blueprints, outside and inside like for example if someone is planning to build a house that I can make a fully 3d model for them that looks like the house is already build 

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452

Chris Fox Art,

The better the information you provide = the better the help given.  I am learning Carrara myself so I can be of limited help..however,..

How are you with textures..you will need to be good with Photoshop, or equivilent to provide the textues needed for a convincing interior/exterior.

Will you be sitting with your clients and show them live the 3D model or will you provide a video. If live you may need a fast system (Win/Mac ?). Others can help you here. Are you a beginner with Carrara ? Are you shopping for the best 3D application for architecture ?  If you would provide, say a paragrapph of info. it might save a lot of forum posts back and forward.

I have had some extremely generous help on this forum by describing my dilemma in detail. 

Good Luck

Starboardtack

• I am thinking about making a photorealistic 3D model from blueprints, outside and inside like for example if someone is planning to build a house that I can make a fully 3d model for them that looks like the house is already build 

head wax said:

Architools by inagoni  I could be a start . What exactly do you want to do? 

I agree with Head Wax. If you start from the blue print and want interior/exterior; Architool is the best start if you want to stay inside Carrara. It has an easy learning curve, can be easily configured, can import any window/door necessary (see here a nice repository) can export to obj... The main issue I have with it is that creating dormers, while possible, is not straighforward and has limitations.

Outside Carrara, Sketchup is famous for creating buildings from street pictures and can export Collada to Carrara.

There are also plenty of specialized software for Archviz from Free to outragiously expensive.

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited October 2015

I have sketchup and I know there are also vray plugins for it, it might've an easy to use software but it's not what I really like to use as it is not exactly how I would work, hard to explain.

i am using Carrara for more than 1 year right now and with the help of this forum and the training dvd's from infinite skills I've learned a lot.

i love Carrara as it is an awesome all in one software that can produce great realistic images even without any plugin, so I am not a beginner at all.

most of the time I was more working on characters but I would more like to do more than just that.

in some way, I want to make it to my job.

i won't sit with the clients when I'm realizing the project but maybe when talking about it what they want or when it's finished or they wish some changes but first I want to just get started creating my own examples that if somebody wants something like that can see what I am doing an what is possible.

i have just not really started yet, was watching for blueprints on google but don't know what views I should need, all sides of the building + top view and inside view? Or anything else?

but thanks a lot for your replies! :) I will take a look on architools

Post edited by Chris Fox Art on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

RK66 - that is an amazing use of splines!  Thank you.

Note - Carrara can load blueprints and other floorplans in the directional camera views of the vertex modeler.  The grid can be customized for any real world dimensions.  The polyline tool can be used to match the floorplan.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Architools is a good tool for creating the basics of a house.  I have worked a little with an architect, what I did was to create the model in Carrara, export as an OBJ and then use an OBJ viewer on an iPad to interactively show the client and to discuss things. It wasn't photorealistic (although you generate stills in Carrara, particularly with something like the Octane plugin) but it allowed us to view the scene from any angle, so we could check the line of sight from different angles, which turned out to be very useful in that case.

• I have used Carrara for this. I've only done interriors. I have used Carrara because It's easier for me to get a photo realistic look. But it is hard because Carrara isn't as user friendly entering dimensions and locations. I'm doing a lot of math. I don't really recommend it. I do walls and ceilings with the spline modeler and everything else in the vertex. I use the set size command alot. I do like how easy it is to use textures esp fabric wall treatment. My sister does interrior design and I think my renders look much better then her sketchup renders, but Carrara isn't really the right tool for the job. So it is not cost effective if you value your time. I played a bit with arch tools but I didn't really think it would help. This was typed on a phone so i'm sure it's full of typo's. Brad
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

TurboCAD Deluxe is a relatively inexpensive cad program, and has a lot of architectural functions built in. It will also save in formats Carrara can use. It does do rendering on its own, but Cararra has more options for that as you might expect.

• for 3D Modeling i have Carrara 8.5 Pro, Hexagon and Vue Architecture bundle for Sketchup but if it's possible i would use all in Carrara as i am not that familar with Hexagon right now and as Sketchup goes, i don't really like to use it.
    But thanks a lot for the Informations, Architools looks very interesting.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

I like Architools quite a bit, and went through a phase where I did a lot of modeling of houses/buildings with it, I found it enjoyable to use.  Trying to dig up a few of my old renders of buildings I created with it...

Here's at least one I was able to dig up:

Architools House Mine.jpg
    800 x 450 - 257K

And a couple more:

Architools Hotel1.jpg
    600 x 338 - 30K
    Architools Gas Station.jpg
    600 x 337 - 24K

Hmm, one of them didn't show up, so 3rd try:

Architools Hotel1.jpg
    600 x 338 - 30K
  • Carrara has a rather limited architectural use capability. I used TurboFloorPlan for a long time and it is now switched to Personal Architect. Very easy and capable for low cost.

Export from PA easily used in Carrara to do shadow studies vs time (sunrise to sunset) as a video output.

Doug.S