Clothes simulation

More advanced than the current dForce iteration, a tool that can simulate clothes resistance until they get torn apart, like Houdini's vellum does :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9bti02RNoA

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,874

Most other 3D programs like Maya, Blender and C4D have their own cloth systems that can do tearing; Houdini's Vellum just happens to be the best of them.

• So DS is behind...

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375

no kidding

• Dolce SaitoDolce Saito Posts: 159
    edited August 2023

I really wished DS has at least half as powerful as this... Just wow. The amount of detail in the simulation you get out of so little processing time (compared to DS dforce) is immense.

Post edited by Dolce Saito on

linoge8888 said:

So DS is behind...

Well, yes and no. dForce is like a lot of other features in DS, in that it's not as mature and fully-featured as the equivalents in other programs, but does have the benefit of being easier to use in narrow use cases. Other cloth systems give you a lot more control, but that's a double-edged sword, because that also means there are more settings to play with to get what you're looking for, and none of them are perfect; even Vellum isn't immune to explosions, nor is industry-standard cloth simulation program Marvelous Designer.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

linoge8888 said:

So DS is behind...

depends on your perspective. DS is mainly a hobbyist app and not meant to compete with industry standard, professional apps like Maya, Houdini, VRay, CLO, etc, so those that are used to those high end apps will find features in DS lacking or missing. Most here do not have (legal) access to the high end apps due to cost, so DS gives them a good option to experience 3D.

I find it amusing that for many years DS and poser lived in their own little ecosystem where DS was the top dog and the rest of the 3D industry was in theirs. Then with interactive licenses and bridges to some highend apps, more and more traffic started crossing between the two ecosystems and now there are users that are used to the 3D industry tools think DS is lacking, LOL

• FSMCDesigns said:

... more and more traffic started crossing between the two ecosystems and now there are users that are used to the 3D industry tools think DS is lacking, LOL.

The comparison is inevitable when bridges are build up and ecosystems get mixed. I remember some were heavily sweating when Metahuman has veen released and predicted then end of DS. Its time has not yet come but DAZ must keep challenging itself. For example, renouncing to implement a reliable search bar for the forums is a bad signal, imo.

FSMCDesigns said:

linoge8888 said:

So DS is behind...

I find it amusing that for many years DS and poser lived in their own little ecosystem where DS was the top dog and the rest of the 3D industry was in theirs. Then with interactive licenses and bridges to some highend apps, more and more traffic started crossing between the two ecosystems and now there are users that are used to the 3D industry tools think DS is lacking, LOL

The problem with that version of events is that DS users wishing that they could do things that DS doesn't is far from a new phenomenon. DS is objectively less fully-featured than programs like Maya and Blender, and some people got tired of waiting for Daz to add the functionality they were looking for and started taking Daz content into other programs long before Daz even thought about making bridges. I was certainly one of those people, and I am far from alone. DS's ease of use is basically what got me into 3D, and DS is great at doing what it does, but "what it does" isn't very much, even with the wealth of great plug-ins and add-ons that vendors have made.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,282
    edited August 2023

FSMCDesigns said:

linoge8888 said:

So DS is behind...

depends on your perspective. DS is mainly a hobbyist app and not meant to compete with industry standard, professional apps like Maya, Houdini, VRay, CLO, etc,

There is something super "fine art" about a finished render in DS with DS models and the way the environment meshes in together and can give you the softest shadows and the most stunning of depth and layered scenes.

I tend to think DS can rival even the most touted 3D software. ...and the artist is indeed a true form in themself. 

The variety of models can produce some great images, though, the Daz store is still, sadly and terribly, biased against male figures and props.

It will be good times when male figures are given equal attention.

Post edited by RexRed on