creating uv template with planar face proportions?

YofielYofiel Posts: 204
edited October 2015 in Carrara Discussion

While the UV mapping is really great in Carrara, I'm still stuck with creating a template of a building which has the same isometric proportions as the orginal so I can draw on it in Photoshop. When I try creating a UV map, the faces all overlap and are maximized to fill the square. While the overlap is easy to fix, how can I make the UV shapes have the same proportions as they are in the Carrara vertex object?

I have Inagoni's Baker, which is also very helpful, but it still only creates one square tile for each shading domain, so it doesnt help me draw in Photoshop with the same proportions. 

Post edited by Yofiel on

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I use Unfold for pretty much everything. You do need to cut seams in most objects, but it makes a reasonable job of getting the proportions right, mostly.

Bung a square pattern "uv ckeck" texture on it afterwards, to check how well it did.

• YofielYofiel Posts: 204

There'[s not reason to use stitching or unfolding on a rectilinear object, all the seams are edges. I tried unfold still got lots of boxes that were not the same horzontal/vertical ration as the original. So I reinstalled Hexagon and exported an .obj there, and when I just opened the UV editor, without even unfolding, it made just what I expected: Flattened boxes. All I needed to do was set it to cubic projection. I don't know how to get the same thing in carrata. Heres the Hexagon thingy. 

Capture.PNG
    1208 x 717 - 117K