Having an object not cast a shadow in Iray

dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305

Like the subject says, I have a picture with a gun with a laser sight as part of the prop.  The laser is casting a shadow.  I tried disabling shadows in the properties tab and it didn't change anything.  It doesn't matter if the whole gun doesn't cast shadows, it's mostly in shadow anyway, but I can't have a beam of light casting shadows.  Is there anything I can do? 

Post edited by dakkuuan on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

How are you making the beam of light light up?

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Can we assume the "beam" is an emissive geometry? That's not clear from your post. If it is, dial its Refraction Weight and Refraction Index both to 1.0. That will keep the geometry itself from casting a shadow. It will still emit light.

When you say, "I tried disabling shadows in the properties tab," when using the default Iray Photoreal mode, the shadow controls are not visible. So, either one of two things here: You've unhid hidden parameters, which just adds to the confusion, or you're using Iray Interactive mode, in which case, controlling the shadow cast should work.

• dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305

Well I tried it as an emissive first and then I tried it without it.  And yes, the hide shadows parameter was hidden.  I think tim answered my question, I'll give one of those methods a shot.  And yes I'm using iray in photoreal mode.  

I tried what the link suggested, but it doesn't stop all shadows, only ones on the Iray virtual ground, which is where it's not where the shadow is being casted.  It's being casted on another object, so I'm back to square one..  

The ironic thing is the shadow I'm speaking from isn't actually from the laser sight lol... so it would be nice know but I'm good otherwise.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

You haven't mentioned what techniques you tried. The link Will provided contained a number of approaches.

To me, a "laser sight" is something tangible and should cast a shadow. A laser beam shouldn't. Maybe you can post an actual image of what you're dealing with. Otherwise we're just guessing at what it is oyu're looking at.