smart parenting props

Hope someone can help....

I made a prop and then another prop that is parented to the first prop.  As an example I have a tea plate with a tea cup that is parented to it.

How can I save each of these props in DS so that the tea cup stays parented to the tea plate?  Every time that I parent the cup to the plate then save them separately as props they are not parented to each other when I load them again.

What I have been doing is to save as a support figure/prop, selecting 'smart parenting' and not compressing.

Comments

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985

On the "Figure/Prop Assets Save Options" screen, did you check "Smart Parenting"?

Smart Prop.jpg
    982 x 890 - 158K
  • BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152

Hi Lindsey, yes I did.  That's why I'm so confused.  I'm trying to learn how to use DS better.  I'm used to version 3.1 and the 4.8 interface is so different from what I'm used to.  I'm getting better but these little hick-ups stop me in my tracks.  I don't know if it's just not working or if I'm doing something wrong.  I was mostly a Bryce user so I never learned all the ins and outs of DS.

• BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152

What I found that might be working for me is to saved my parented set as a 'scene subset'.  I had to copy the .duf from a subset folder into my library props folder but it seems to work quite well.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited October 2015

When you did your testing, did you have the saucer selected when you loaded the cup?  The cup should have parented to the saucer.  In my testing, the cup would parent to whatever is selected in the scene tab, whether it be a saucer, person or even a camera.

If your goal to always load them as a set, then a Scene Subset would be the way to go.

Edit: Searching for topics on Smart Parenting seems to indicate that it's main purpose is to parent non-conforming assets to a figure.

Post edited by Lindsey on