Elephant Hair Wrist Bangle for G8F' and G9.

I was on holiday last week, and visited the Powell-Cotton museum at Quex Park, Birchington, Kent, England. The family were collectors of Indian and African art and 'things' from about 1900 to the late 1940's.

One exhibit really caught my eye, a wrist bangle from the Okavango Delta in Botswana, collected in the 1920's. It looks totally contemporary, but it's a century old, and made from one or two tail hairs from an Elephant. The hairs are so wire-like that the bangle looks like a beautifully made black wire bracelet. It's incredibly ingenious.

Having been inspired, I modelled up a bangle, fitted it to both G8F and G9, left and right wrists, and included metal wire material options as well as the default black. It's shown below on Mousso's Dola G9 character:

The zip file is 14Mb (too big to attach), so if you wish to download this freebie, can I refer you to my Renderosity freebies: https://www.renderosity.com/users/richardandtracy/freestuff, and then click on the bangle download link.

Hope you like it.

Regards,

Richard.

Comments

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,295

I got it and thank you.

• My pleasure.

I admit, it's a bit of an oddity. Jewellery made from Elephant Tail Hair !?! There were just so many things in the Powell-Cotton museum that were absolutely amazing & I would love to model something similar at some point for DS. There were war quoits (Chakra's) from India along with all sorts of ornamental weapons and shields from the Indian sub-continent. The least ornate item was a Ghurka Kukri - similar to one my grandfather brought back to the UK in the 1930's.

Then, there was the non-metallic jewellery collected in much of southern Africa that looks totally contemporary now, and would look fantastic.

The metallic jewellery collected in Northern Africa looks less contemporary - more ornate than is currently the fashion. However, I'm sure if more people saw how beautiful it is, there would be more demand.

I fear the museum has a very poor online presence (as do many private UK museums), but if anyone is interested, take a look here: https://powell-cottonmuseum.org/collections/?_collection_type=archives

Regards,

Richard

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,295

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out