Bryce 7.1 Pro and Windows 10

I have just made a short test render in Bryce 7.1 Pro under Windows 10 and it works!

Comments

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

I posted this back in July elvis after sandman_max  asked about it. It seemed ok. Not tried it on the final release of Windows 10 though.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/58587/bryce-and-windows-10#latest

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119

I remember Stuard's post, though I didn't remember who posted it but that Bryce runs on Win10. It's good to know that a second "brycer" confirms it. I'm not going to upgrade (or is it a downgrade?) from Win7 but once I need to replace this machine, I'll certainly end up with a Win10 one.

• Ups, I forgot your post StuartB. I am sorry, I should have checked it

That's ok elvis. Still using it on Windows 7. Just don't like 10smiley

• Me too stuart....

• launoklaunok Posts: 782

Well, I got Win 10 this week.  Bryce worked right from the start although Daz Studio didn't wanted to even start but after NVidia drivers that also now works.

This render was done yesterday using Bryce 7.1 on Win 10 laptop.

launok fashion shop interior 1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 523K
  • Just recently loaded Bryce 7.1 Pro onto notebook with Windows 10. test renders were great for the most part, however, I noticed that moving of objects is rather unsteady as opposed to my old PC also, the color picker in the light source edit panel does not want to allow the selection of colors including gradients and tends to crash the program. I am using a notebook with Win 10, i7 processor and NvIDIA Geforce built in. Are there any known solutions to these issues? Thanks.

• Lucky!

Hope Bryce works on your platforms for years to come.

I miss Bryce on my mac

• It works fine on Windows 10, but you're going to have to do some work to get it to launch automatically when you click on a scene file. The extensions for older Bryce files will have to be added manually if you still want Bryce 7 Pro to open them as well.

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

I run Bryce7.1 on Windows 8.1 using compatibility setting for Win 7 ( no service packs ) Does anyone know if Win 10 has compatibility setting for older software also ( like win 8.1 does)?

edited November 2015

@S Ray.

Don't know about Windows 10 Compatibility settings, but in Windows 7, if you go to the Bryce install folder and find the Bryce main executable icon and Right click it there may be the Properties option right at the bottom. Or Right click the Bryce shortcut on your desktop if you have one.

If you click Properties that should include a Compatibility tab at the top.

Post edited by StuartB on
  • edited November 2015

Been a very long time since I've posted here. Feels like a ghost town. Anyway...

Bryce 7 works fine in Windows 10. If you wish to run in Compatibility mode just right-click on the executable (also works on a shortcut). At the bottom of the resulting pop-up menu select Properties. Next you will see a window with a double row of tabs. Click on the Compatibility tab. In the middle of that tab you should see an area says "Compatibility mode". Tick the box to activate and in the drop down menu you will also be able to select from numerous options going as far back as Windows 95.

Post edited by wantczak_1bd4d4edcf on
  • Before i spend $$ on bryce 7.1, how does it work on a samsung 10.4 w latest android software?

Bryce does only work on Windows (I used it on Win98 up to 7) and on Mac OS up to 10.6.

• I am having trouble with Bryce 7 on windows 10.

I have two monitors and am trying to move Bryce to my secondary monitor but it falls apart while dragging it across. Also, when I click the terrain editor the dialog pops under the main Bryce window so that I cannot reach it. If I drag the main Bryce window out of the way, the moment I select the terrain editor dialog the main window pops over the dialog making it impossible to edit terrain.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Bryce will not work on multiple monitors.  It likes full screen on one monitor, regardless of which flavour of windoze you are using.

The option to use 2 monitors (Edit > Preferences) was introduced with Bryce 7.0 Though the main window stays put, the labs open on the second screen, also in full screen mode (Bryce 7.0.1.34). In Bryce 7.1 this doesn't work anymore and also often crashes Bryce 7.1.

• I just got a brand new laptop last week, and have been busy installing stuff. I love it -- it's my dream machine at last, an MSI GE62 2QD with an NVidia GeForce GTX 960M graphics card, 16GB of RAM,and a SSD in addition to the 2TB hard drive. Not to mention the hoopy backlit keyboard! heart And I'm having no trouble whatever with WinX except for the inability to control when it updates. But then I'm working with a clean factory  install, not an update.

So finally I opened Bryce (in compatibility mode with XP SP3) and eventually discovered I have two problems. 1. If I use the mouse to reposition an object, it skids about like a frog on ice. 2. I still have the Screen Corruption of Doom which I have demonstrated with a series of screen grabs below. I learned as long ago as Win7 not to multitask with Bryce, but now this mouse misbehavior is killing me.

Capture.JPG
    1000 x 568 - 68K
    Capture2.JPG
    950 x 633 - 74K
    Capture3.JPG
    1071 x 637 - 88K
    Capture4.JPG
    1084 x 840 - 102K

Bryce should work directly in Win 10 I've read - though I'm still on 7. No problems with multi-tasking. What Bryce doesn't like is when the Task Manager is open. I noticed this on both Win 7 machines.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

Bryce works great on Windows 10. No problem there. I also dio not have any mouse-frogging issues. What I did notice, is that Bryce does not like to work with pen tablet. When I tried that, I experienced the kind of issues (frog on ice) that Bonito Lil is describing.

• @Hansmar, I always had the frogs on ice with my Wacom as well. For the mouse to also become a frog is a new development. 

As for the screen bitmap corruption, this confounds me, to be the only one experiencing these problems. Bryce also does not work well with Windows Explorer/File Explorer, which is irritating when you mislay a texture.

I dropped the compatibility setting to let Bryce work in Windows 10,and discovered while exploring properties that I had the option of using the default Intel graphics or the NVidia hotrodded graphic chipset, so I changed over to NVidia. Sadly, this did not change the bad behaviors. Now the default palette isn't working right in the materials lab: Unless I use Alt-click to access the extended palettes,I get no response from the swatch. All the colors show in the default palette, but the swatch only shows, well, not even fifty shades of grey...

Not tried it myself in Windows 10, just wondered if Large Address Aware would help.

By allowing Bryce to use a bit more Ram.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556

Download link from the same page.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/laa_2_0_4-zip.34392

• Yes, I deployed LAA as soon as I installed Bryce. Well, at least there are workarounds for every problem so far.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

What a sad story. Maybe reinstalling Bryce would help (maybe not)? Could be some file corrupted or something. More expert people than me might be able to help you.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

i have noticed that you do encounter problems with bryce using W10 home edition, the W10 pro version though, no problems at all!

• @Tim82, that is good to know! I was planning to upgrade anyway, in order to take control back,of system updating. Last night I had to give up on editing a terrain because I couldn't control the brush at all. All the dials kept veering wildly.

sadly with W10, all versions you can not stop auto update! ...its kind of one of the new things added! stupid in my opinion! ...but with some negatives there are a lot of positives with W10 :) ...but ultimately it all boils down to personal preference :)

no problem :)

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

I have windows 10 home edition 64 bit. I also have 16 gb ram and a 4gb zotac nvidia gt730 graphics card. I will try to create something in Bryce here soon. I have opened it to make sure it works though. I am almost done getting things organized.

• kellyocskellyocs Posts: 6

Before i spend $$ on bryce 7.1, how does it work on a samsung 10.4 w latest android software?

Where can I spend $$ on bryce 7.1? The daz studio 4.9 bridge to bryce is complaining that it can't export to any lesser version and I can't find any links to upgrade.