3D Animation for Screenwriters! (Using Carrara)

Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
edited October 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Hi there.

I'm producing this series to help screenwriters frustrated at not seeing thier work visually to encourage you that a DIY approach is possible.

3D Animation for Screenwriters Part 1. Tutorial Series Introduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfd7InMU_AM&list=PL511383E90B92CC0E&index=97

3D Animation for Screenwriters Part 2 Workflow What you can get for free and what to buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af-j6rewKyc&list=PL511383E90B92CC0E&index=98

3D Animation for Screenwriters Part 3 (Finding Free or very cheap models).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M4lq2m9pf4&list=PL511383E90B92CC0E&index=99

3D Animation for Screenwriters Part 4 (A real live 3D Animation Rendering Session explained) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3UTpplHNHM&feature=youtu.be

I'll keep adding to this thread as we go. :)

Note newer parts are added to the thread, see below. This could turn out to be a long series.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Quite an endeavour!  I hope this attracts more 3D users.

• LotharenLotharen Posts: 282

Thank you for sharing this. This has helped me see just what Carrara is capable of in reguards to animation. I'll be watching your videos for sure. :)

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198

Thanks Guys.

I've got a lot more to share in the series. Been busy finishing Episode 15 and taking care of other "arms" of the business, but I expect to continue the series today or tomorrow.

3D Animation for Screenwriters Part 5 ( Case Study. The Breakfast Club. Your first Storyboard).

It starts as the breakfast club and ends up as some kind of Matrix Style Post Apocolyptic interview! lol.

Anyway hope it encourages screenwriters to get involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nIVkmVOI68

• LotharenLotharen Posts: 282

3D Animation for Screenwriters Part 5 ( Case Study. The Breakfast Club. Your first Storyboard).

It starts as the breakfast club and ends up as some kind of Matrix Style Post Apocolyptic interview! lol.

Anyway hope it encourages screenwriters to get involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nIVkmVOI68

Another great video! Thank you so much for doing this. I am in the process of getting into animation, (something I've said here I would never do - haha) and seeing some of the in's and out's is very helpful.

Lotharen said:

Another great video! Thank you so much for doing this. I am in the process of getting into animation, (something I've said here I would never do - haha) and seeing some of the in's and out's is very helpful.

Ah good! Thanks for letting me know. You are the perfect audience for this series then. I was thinking of going into how to combine models into your own custom scene next.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited November 2015

Very cool, Steve!

It's always fun to see and hear your take on things and to see first hand how you go about creating your animated video. It's really neat how similar our workflows are while being so incredibly different at the same time! 

You and I have very similar passions - I find out more and more about the similarities the more tutorials you produce. In contrast, I have begun my Carrara endeavors in 2005 and have yet to show a single finished episode. But it is part of this contrast that makes this whole thing so fun... it just shows how many ways there are to achieve nearly the same results in Carrara. 

Furthermore, I have never tried Octane and am amazed at the speed you're getting from it. In Part 5, where you just throw in some subjects and Octane them, I'm amazed at the result with literally no additional work on shaders or lights!?! Did you pause, fix stuff, and come back to render it, or is Octane really that easy to use?

I have been an active participant in the Linear Workflow ever since PhilW mentioned his findings. As with most major changes in how we do things, it did take some getting used to before I actually completely switched over. The strange thing was that, since I've began in 2005 I've amassed a wonderful collection of 'sound stages' saved to my browser - none of which set to this new workflow. Luckily for me, my standards that I've set for myself back then work so well with the workflow that all I need to do for most of them was to set up a new default empty scene, and drag the whole CAR file into the new scene, using the new render settings. 

I've gone even further in this linear workflow by getting (gifted by a friend) and studying Digital Lighting and Rendering by Jeremy Birn, and later buying PhilW's Realistic Rendering course, which translates much of Birn's material nicely over to Carrara. I only mention this here because that workflow also helps to narrow that gap between normal default Carrara useage and Pro software results by simply using the internal render engine. I then took that whole rationale and took it into Birn's (and mine) methods of light stage design, rather than using the more time-consuming Global Illumination with Indirect Lighting. There are many situations where GI + IL in Carrara, using the linear workflow methods, can still render quite fast. But the more I needed to fill my scenes full of objects using many transmaps and reflections, the more I needed to revisit my old standards of rendering. Well I've found it to be super-simple to go back to my lighting methods from before along with the linear workflow with great success - so I didn't even need to transfer my CAR file sound stages to a new default! Just change the render settings and, in some cases, optimize anything I've used in the Scene Background/Atmosphere channels. Most case of my saved files, I didn't need to do anything for that. Brighter, more realistic renders still within the 1 - 3 minute/frame range!

Ooops... babbling again!

Cheers Steve! Thanks for the cool series! I look forward to more - as always!

3dc CommandCrews CentCam1H.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 805K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited November 2015

Dartan!

Nice to hear from you again my friend. :)

Very good result from that render.

To answer your question - yes - I simply switched octane on and got an instant result. Typically 30 seconds on a single GTX780Ti graphics card will give you a good result with lots of daylight in the scene at 1080 resolution. For night scenes or scenes with lots of lights it can be a lot slower (almost impossible) unless you've learned a thing or two about the renderer. I am going to teach this later in my project but for once it will be "pay to view" content.

I admire your patience at not releasing anything yet. I went the "do it now" route, then I re-made episodes 1-4. I scrapped 6 merging it with 5, so at some point I still need to re-render 5 and 7 via Octane to bring them up to speed. 

As soon as I get some free time I'll add to this series. Lots to share. :)

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Bravo, my friend! Bravo!