Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.0.21!

Comments

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521

I am not sweeping anything under the rug. The files are encrypted. That doesn't change the answer. The encryption is transparent to the customer. I would estimate that greater than 90% of the customers will never even notice that they are encrypted. 

The last two sentances are contradictory, because the first one is incorrect. The encryption is only transparent to the customer if you're doing it via the OS's native file system encryption. At which point the text on my directory listing is green (I'm using Windows), but otherwise my experience with the files is identical to the current situation, except I can't distribute them.

But that's not what you're doing. Instead I'm being blocked out of them. And frankly, as one of the customers who will notice they've been encrypted and I can't get into them, that matters to me. I don't frankly care that many people won't. Many people never use Morph Loader Pro. Many many people never use the weight mapping tools, the bone editing tools, the geometry hiding feature, the graft-merging feature (which is pretty nifty).

You could add those features without disrupting the majority of users. You could add features and change things for that majority without disrupting those things that are only useful for a minority of power-users.

Why are the power-users being swept away here?

• oomuoomu Posts: 175

From the FAQ:

Products can be installed and used on multiple computers, but you can only be actively logged in on one computer at a time. In fact, using Daz Connect makes this easier than before, as any computer you log into will have access to your purchased products directly within Daz Studio. There is no need to carry around your installation files—simply login and download your products on any machine.

They also said that if that is not a possible solution (if you have a crappy internet on your laptop) you can contact support and they will work something out for you.

One daz's engineer in that thread confirmed he's working on the possibility to download a ready to install package to install later on whatever computer. That computer will need to have your customer key and be "signed" (for that, DAZ Studio just needs to have been connected ONCE to internet to your account to get your customer key).

DAZ_Rawb said:

» show previous quotes

This should ease your concerns about having local backups of your content:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/934196/#Comment_934196

WandW said:

Wow!  Glad I didn't renew my PC membership this month!! surprise  I'm in until March and that will be it for me, as I don't use Studio, except as a bridge to get content into Poser.

I'm off to download the 1500 or so remaining items that I had never downloaded with Install Manager because I had used the old installers.  I guess this is going to be Goodbye, DAZ...

it's one real issue : it will be more difficult (but not impossible) to export bought content from DAZ Store to Poser. Poser (or whatever script) will not be able to decrypt the specific DAZ files detailling the content and how to use it. It will only have access to the raw files (maps) and to export from daz the mesh in .obj or whatever format DAZ export support.

So, it lets Renderosity as a more universal store to buy content for whatever software. But, Renderosity/RuntimeDNA/PoserWorld/... has the same problem with Piracy. It's obvious one day or the other, more store will try to use DRM, a DRM who works with DAZ Software and/or future Poser.

DRM is not only about end user, but also about competition between companies.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100

>And as I have stated several times. Export is unaffected by any of this. Now if you want me to predict the future? I can't. It is beyond my >capabilities. 

Yes I know, no one can not confirm about DAZ company decision. and I undersand if there was  man who can capability to confirm, they may not answer these question in this forum.

The company decision is that export is unaffected, that is as stated, both in the FAQ and by me. It is confirmed. That does not mean that the company will not change that at some future date that nobody can fortell.

You already quoted the answer on the other one. The part that is unanswered is what content and when. And again, I can't predict the future. 

Let's imagine this scenario: I have an encrypted DRMed Genesis 4 for Studio Alcatraz version (aka DS 5).

What does prevent me from writing a script which exports the base mesh, then for each morph dials it, exporting the modified mesh and then another script that imports the lot and creates a cracked Genesis 4? I used the morph example but with scripting and the SDK I can do the whole thing (bones, weight maps... even the kitchen sink).

For this DRM scheme to work  it is mandatory that DAZ removes all exports and embargoes the SDK availabily to anybody who is not a DAZ PA. So the options are either: 

1-a DRM scheme which aggravates legitimate users and delays crackers only for the time it takes them to stop laughing at DAZ or...

2-an ADX Florence supermax ('muricans know what I am talking about) which makes impossible for people to use Studio in a pipeline.

Any comments? 

if the goal is to completely prevent all kind of piracy or really really complicate it, yes DAZ would be forced to go that way (the kind of HDCP over HDMI, full encryption bluray and criminalization of keys sharing insider readers/software the video industry got). 

But it's a balance : just to complicate the sharing of DAZ Store package could be enough.

Now, it's just that crazy : someone buy once the content, lets DIM download everything, put it on a server somewhere, publish a torrent, youhouuuu !  it's way too easy.

After I started to look about that whole community, 3D contents, daz, poser, just by doing some searchs for informations, google lead me easily to forums, blogs and torrents links with mostly ALL the DIM packages for all recent contents. it's quite frightening.

The industry/politicians failed (or wanted to fail?) to prosecute theses websites, so they go to obfuscate stuffs (encryption).

---

To be honest, I would prefer a TAGGING system : to TAG inside ALL files (in jpeg, in tiff, in dsf, duf, and so on), cryptographically the identity of the customer. The files would be still standard (a standard JPEG you open in gimp or photoshop), but it would be very difficult to remove your personal information from it without destroying the colors, contrast and all of the files. It would dether people to simply put their bought content on the internet and live from piracy.

But tagging is not a perfect technology for now, and it would needs Adobe and others companies to help the whole industry on a good tagging system : hard to remove the information but readable by standard softwares, letting people to create derivative works.  

(of course licence about derivative work would still be an issue).

There is no easy solution.

I just hope DAZ will not abuse DRM.

-

Apple removed DRM from music, because we all lived with CD (good quality, NO drm AT ALL). In a way, the industry couldn't put back the genie in the bottle. Steve Jobs knew that, he called to remove DRM from music.

But there is extensive and crazy DRM on ebooks, APPS (of course) and movies in Apple iTunes/iBooks store (and of course Apple Music and all new way to consume music, like streaming from others companies like Spotify, Deezer...). It's a real concern.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I remember the days, when our one and only Computer was as big as a whole room and needed to be fed with cards where we had to punch holes for information .. Then came DOS ... Then came WINDOWS ... Have tried UNIX, LINUX, BEOS, everything. There has still to be developed a system and a program which is really, really safe.  There will never be one ... So-called safe system were either safe because they were so obscure that nobody cared to crack them, or they were safe for ... hours ... days ... some even for months ... but none was safe in the long run.

So, you can't get a safe system, as long as people from the outside are able to reach the system, or as long as people from the inside can reacht the outside world.

So you never will be able to create a safe DRM in the long run.

You just get angry customers.

I was doing research for an assignment (mature student here) and I came across a point raised by the author of the book; the company (IBM forty years or so ago) were claiming they spent 50 million on security; one individula at the conference said it seemed to be 49 million on advertising and 1 million on travel and accommodation.

Security has long been known about, we're sill playing the same game with those wanting to steal our info: bigger lock, every time they find a key for that last lock.

edited October 2015
    Syndaryl said:

I am not sweeping anything under the rug. The files are encrypted. That doesn't change the answer. The encryption is transparent to the customer. I would estimate that greater than 90% of the customers will never even notice that they are encrypted. 

The last two sentances are contradictory, because the first one is incorrect. The encryption is only transparent to the customer if you're doing it via the OS's native file system encryption. At which point the text on my directory listing is green (I'm using Windows), but otherwise my experience with the files is identical to the current situation, except I can't distribute them.

But that's not what you're doing. Instead I'm being blocked out of them. And frankly, as one of the customers who will notice they've been encrypted and I can't get into them, that matters to me. I don't frankly care that many people won't. Many people never use Morph Loader Pro. Many many people never use the weight mapping tools, the bone editing tools, the geometry hiding feature, the graft-merging feature (which is pretty nifty).

You could add those features without disrupting the majority of users. You could add features and change things for that majority without disrupting those things that are only useful for a minority of power-users.

Why are the power-users being swept away here?

1. It is transparent to the customer. You load the content exactly the same way you load it now. You pose, clothe, animate, apply shaders, change materials, morph, etc. None of that is affected. 

2. You saying you want to read the files does not invalidate the fact that greater than 90% of the customers never will. Nor does it specify why you feel you need to be able to read the files. 

3. This does not prevent you from using the rigging tools, building pose sets, light sets, shader sets, character presets, material presets, or creating morphs. It doesn't stop you from using transfer utility or autofit. 

So what is your specific use case where encrypting the files prevents you from doing something?

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    WandW said:

Wow!  Glad I didn't renew my PC membership this month!! surprise  I'm in until March and that will be it for me, as I don't use Studio, except as a bridge to get content into Poser.

I'm off to download the 1500 or so remaining items that I had never downloaded with Install Manager because I had used the old installers.  I guess this is going to be Goodbye, DAZ...

That is of course up to you, but have you read the FAQ ? you are not forced to use Connect, you can go on just as before if you like that better.

Possibly, but it wasn't very long ago that the DSON format was trumpeted as an open format based on JSON, a standard data format.  I prefer to keep my powder dry.

I don't take any offense; keep in mind this is strictly a business decision. DAZ is no longer a small shop run by a group of artists, but is now but one small piece of a $80 Billion dollar corporation, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone, and has to contribute to their bottom line...

Now that I didn't know, it makes a previous post I made, more interesting to me at least.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

You already quoted the answer on the other one. The part that is unanswered is what content and when. And again, I can't predict the future. 

So, I want ask yours, how do you plan if you can decide it. maybe daz ask yours too,no? what contents syould be and when it start? How you decide if you can? If all future contents keep to be offered as DIM , then user who like to use DAZ connect, choose the option, what is problem?
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,191

OK, I have finally read enough of this that I am going to ask a question that has been gnawing on me since page 3. DAZ_spooky, DAZ_Rawn and DAZ_Jon ... Why is there so much two stepping going on here with this? One minute we read  its optional, then we read that all product will be shifting to connect. Then DAZ is going to this to help customers because we are stupid (Implied by the comments made by Spooky) followed by it will protect products from piracy. We, for the most part are grown men and women here, and obviously this is something that the company is going to do no matter how much the customers scream, yell drag their feet and say we don't want this, so just tell us and lets all move on.

Yes I am clearly frustrated with all of this, I haven't seen so much dancing since the last democratic and republican debates. I wrote this while irritated so I am sure that this post will disappear quickly, so feel free to reply via site mail if you like.

Roy

AKA

ShadowhawkOne

Actually Cloud ist just the name of a server somewhere, owned by somebody else, who may or may not allow me to work with files on or downloaded from said server.

once downloaded, once your DAZ Studio WAS authenticated on your computer ONE TIME, you can use all your contents disconnected forever. DAZ only needs to obtain your customers encrypted keys from the store once to be able to decrypt content each time you use them. No need to be on internet all the time or each time your launch DAZ.

-

and you can export content as usual from DAZ.

-

DRM and encryption gives a lot of power to DAZ,  for now they will not use that power to close DAZ Studio (you can export content or use the images maps in whatever software, but it will complicate life for Poser). But in the future ? But the future is always scary: we don't know what it will be. The day I'll not be able to mix, modify, change paid stuff for my personal not commercial use, well.. I'll stop to buy.

edited October 2015
    Khory said:

"Of course, this whole "Cloud" thing is not an new idea at all."

Haven't we really sort of been on a cloud as far as content goes for a while now? It sits somewhere after I buy it till I download it. If I change my mind about it I can put it back there till I want it again. I'm just not seeing any difference other than ease of use. Pretty much the same ease of use my ebooks provid. And should I ever move to one of the more powerful tablets it might be pretty awsome to only have to have a limited volume of content on it but all of it available to me with the click of a button.

I have to prove I'm me after downloading it if for example I need to reinstall; that is a big different. Issues that cause one problem can and do cause others; not being able to use what I've bought is a serious issue; if I can't get online, I can't use something I've bought, downloaded and installed. I'm seeing legitimate customers being penalised. I accept it wont be happening often, but why should it happen at all?

Post edited by nicstt on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited October 2015

This is a repost.

This is not a a Rant .. this is my resignation from buying Daz products once they have changed officially to daz 4.9  Or Daz connect/cloud encrypted only products.

I've been so unhappy about the announcement of the new changes at daz to the point it has thrown me into depression. Daz has always been my home outlet for creating  fantasy worlds or for me to tell my stories. . with.  the new changes and seeing how the new daz4.9 wanted to restructure my file system  after I installed it. I would not have any Idea how to get Maya or Blender to work with daz connect models because as it is now I can access my 3d content in Maya through my Non Encrypted  content files. & Daz Connect/cloud also bloated my Hard drive with 2 content directories. NO THANK YOU.  so I uninstalled Daz4.9 and replaced my system with a  shadow copy I had made to get my files back to the way they were,  So I can say I TRIED Daz 4.9 &* what I learned is after that changes to Daz connect or cloud  so will being able to access them the way I always had in my work flow with other software.. I've been a 8 year user & fan of Daz.  But now I really hate  the direction they took. but guess that is a way things are going, I was hoping daz would be different.  But I'm not restructuring my PC drives for a software upgrade ever . there is 8 years 1013 gigs of stored content. Does daz have any idea how long it would take me to restructure that .. the alternative is to have 2 content drives.. No thanks.

So after feeling sorry for myself all night I started doing some research into Alternatives for 3d   and I think I found something new I can work with besides Poser Pro.  I figure if the future is that I'm going to have to be forced to use a cloud base software for my 3d and  Illustration content by software company's then its going to be on my terms not theirs  and I will do my speaking with my Wallet.     It seems money is the only thing a company will listen too, instead of loyal long time users. crying foul.  Daz3d you really have Offended me with this change.

Anyway I think found a new alternative  for me to replace daz for some of my 3d needs and maybe save myself a few bucks too when it come to using figure for my 3d printed ceramics molds ..  So if you are like me,  this maybe will fit your needs as well.  it is cloud based also  and it will run on PC,  android and Mac devices  so when your sitting waiting for the bus for school you can be working on a new project on your Mobil device. the software Also allows for saving  AutoCAD format  which will save me a lot of time in converting models.  

I'm going to keep looking  for more 3d Alternatives , because I figure if I'm going to buy a 3d model I'm not going to be nannied on how I have to install it into my system or verify the item with encryption every time i want to add a new device or PC on my private Home network to access my content drives.I am not a computer DumAss .  not to mention all the other laundry list of problems that  Daz connects going to cause me in using the content .  Daz has gone to far this time and I have spent way to much money on 3d content to be lumped up with the criminal elements of  the web. . I have always been forthright and up front with daz 3d when it comes to using their products. I Gave credit for the products I used in my production animations. and if I was not sure about the legal issues on using their content for a project I contacted them to get the information I needed to use their content legally.   I am not a criminal or a pirate . and I hate being Nannied or treated like I am after I have spent thousands of dollars on content here at daz.    Once google asked me to verify my daz content for a Youtube video which was easy done with a screen short of my Sales receipt .. and that is all that should ever been needed for validation of a product. 

This move by Daz3d has offended me to the core. . So Screw it.   Daz has been fun but they have sucked the fun right out of 3d modeling for me with every new change they have made it has been slowly cutting out poser support.   I paid for poser I did not pay for daz.  So maybe a change to something new  will bring back that excitement of 3d  for me again .  I have a regular 3d budget. so what 3d modeling site or company do I want to spend it at now that I won't be able to use Daz clound based content?   I hate this new direct daz has made and I am going to protest it the only way I can. With my wallet!  maybe my 100 bucks a month in sales is no big loss to daz3d.( check my Account records for proof.) . But some new company is going to welcome it I am sure. It seems the on;y thing companies listen to anymore is the money . so hear my money talk  Daz or wave good buy to it.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    atticanne said:

I posted this in another thread at approximately !0:15 this morning.  It apparently was overlooked in the flurry of consolidating and closing threads.

"How will this affect those of us who have 32-bit?  What about the Product files?  Can I still find the product in the list, click Create New Category, and Studio place all of the product's items together in one category in my Content Library?  If someone tries 4.9 and doesn't like it, how much of it can be rolled back to 4.8?

I am not a gamer.  I am opposed to the cloud and encryption.  I gave up on Smart Content a long time ago.  I have already started diversifying my spending."

No difference between 32 bit and 64 bit. 

So will 4.8.0.59 still work correctly if I delete this folder?

• You already quoted the answer on the other one. The part that is unanswered is what content and when. And again, I can't predict the future. 

So, I want ask yours, how do you plan if you can decide it. maybe daz ask yours too,no? what contents syould be and when it start? How you decide if you can? If all future contents keep to be offered as DIM , then user who like to use DAZ connect, choose the option, what is problem?

DAZ Vince has already said there are currently no products planned for Connect-only release.

I can't test the system; I've just finishing backing up again.

I was going to now actually try it, but if it's going to download and install everything again, I'll have to delete what I already have; the SSD only has 100GB of free space, and I don't like going close to capacity on them (it slows them down).

Suggestions, other than deleting everything (Yes I know I've backed it up).

atticanne said:
    atticanne said:

I posted this in another thread at approximately !0:15 this morning.  It apparently was overlooked in the flurry of consolidating and closing threads.

"How will this affect those of us who have 32-bit?  What about the Product files?  Can I still find the product in the list, click Create New Category, and Studio place all of the product's items together in one category in my Content Library?  If someone tries 4.9 and doesn't like it, how much of it can be rolled back to 4.8?

I am not a gamer.  I am opposed to the cloud and encryption.  I gave up on Smart Content a long time ago.  I have already started diversifying my spending."

No difference between 32 bit and 64 bit. 

So will 4.8.0.59 still work correctly if I delete this folder?

Sure. Though anything installed will no longer be present. 

nicstt said:

I can't test the system; I've just finishing backing up again.

I was going to now actually try it, but if it's going to download and install everything again, I'll have to delete what I already have; the SSD only has 100GB of free space, and I don't like going close to capacity on them (it slows them down).

Suggestions, other than deleting everything (Yes I know I've backed it up).

On the computer that is cloud only, I moved the old directories to a USB 3 external drive. It took longer to copy the directory to the external drive than to download my content directory from my account. (YMMV)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Havos said:

I think the idea is that a signature would only lock people out of DS, which seems to be the major concern, and one assumes that the majority of pirate using customers are using DS, so would be locked out. Blender and others would ignore the signature, but it is a moot point since Blender (I believe) can not read DS native files anyway, and they are the only ones being encrypted.

There are at least 2 Blender addons that do read native DS...but I know one hasn't been updated in a while and I haven't played with the other...but they were/are dependent upon the unencrypted, readable files...and could still work for  self generated content, but not morphs to the base figures.

Richard why you can answer it?frown

I can understand,  Currently no.  but future yes. then I ask DAZ Vince or spookeys or DAZ moderators,

how do you think, if they  can decide it ,.  when it will start, and which product you may (or hope to)  release

as daz connect only?   or

At current  DAZ spookey and daz mans,  think, "no we need not migrate any content as daz connect only.  it is not for customer"?

I understand many man have said,  about currently no product are planned .

then which product they may plan I ask if they can diced it.   IF they may never change, there is no need discribe such thing.

or DAZ programmer modelator are not hope so?  they do not hope migarate contents as DAZ connect only?

I just hope to know, their will.  no need confrim, how daz decide or not.

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    hphoenix said:

With all the features that people have been asking for......Physics, Better Animation Tools, Properly updated documentation, and more.....this is what they give us.

DRM and enforced structured 'smart' content.

And with so many on the forums pointing out the problems involved with these 'benefits', they keep pushing them like they were a gift from the gods.

So what if at some point the license server crashes?  What if DAZ folds?  Will all that post 4.9 content become unusable?  What if I need to reinstall after that from a backup copy?

Or maybe my account gets corrupted.  Pre-4.9, I could just use my backed up DIM files.  Couldn't use DIM itself, obviously, but that's a minor inconvenience.  But with 4.9 and on, since it can't authenticate, I lose all that content.

I just finished burning a few BD-R discs with my DIM files for backup.  Glad I did, now....

If this goes live in 4.9, I won't be upgrading, nor will I renew my PC+.....nor will I be shopping at the DAZ store, unless there is still an option to download unencrypted DIM files for offline install and usage.  A shame, really.  I was finally getting the hang of content creation and was looking into turning my dev skills toward plugin creation.

You don't need to be online to use your content, you will absolutely need to be online only once - to register the account on the machine - when the offline downkload and install option is available.

Which, if in the described scenario (reinstalling from backup without access to the servers, for whatever reason), would still lock you out, correct?  New OS install, so it won't have whatever magic is needed to decrypt without connecting.

Oh, wait.....we download a keyfile of some sort when we connect that one time.  We can back that up too?  And what if that file gets corrupted.  Before, we might lose access to one corrupted package.  Now, if THAT file gets corrupted, NO encrypted content will work.

And I keep seeing other DAZ staff talking about "it accounts for 90% of support tickets" and "90% will never notice the files are encrypted."  Well, 90% of those 90% are the 'just trying it out cause it looked neat' crowd.  The other 10% are your bread and butter, because they consistently spend in the store.  Those 10% that WILL notice are the ones who edit files, rearrange directories, modify paths, and actually continue to use the product for years.  That 10% probably spends 90% of the money that goes through the DAZ Store.

Can't find something?  Why not actually put a metadata point into DIM that can be looked at when you right-click a product or show details that tells you the direct path to the main content it installed?  Seems simple enough, but it isn't there.......Or maybe a search box for the Content Files pane that actually works?  (i.e., it doesn't show the content icons for the search, but shows the FILE TREE for the search which you can then select from.....)

DRM is going to hurt DAZ.  But you won't listen.  We've shown countless history of how it's failed in the past.....why do you cling to it so?

• hphoenix said:
    hphoenix said:

With all the features that people have been asking for......Physics, Better Animation Tools, Properly updated documentation, and more.....this is what they give us.

And with so many on the forums pointing out the problems involved with these 'benefits', they keep pushing them like they were a gift from the gods.

So what if at some point the license server crashes?  What if DAZ folds?  Will all that post 4.9 content become unusable?  What if I need to reinstall after that from a backup copy?

Or maybe my account gets corrupted.  Pre-4.9, I could just use my backed up DIM files.  Couldn't use DIM itself, obviously, but that's a minor inconvenience.  But with 4.9 and on, since it can't authenticate, I lose all that content.

I just finished burning a few BD-R discs with my DIM files for backup.  Glad I did, now....

If this goes live in 4.9, I won't be upgrading, nor will I renew my PC+.....nor will I be shopping at the DAZ store, unless there is still an option to download unencrypted DIM files for offline install and usage.  A shame, really.  I was finally getting the hang of content creation and was looking into turning my dev skills toward plugin creation.

You don't need to be online to use your content, you will absolutely need to be online only once - to register the account on the machine - when the offline downkload and install option is available.

Which, if in the described scenario (reinstalling from backup without access to the servers, for whatever reason), would still lock you out, correct?  New OS install, so it won't have whatever magic is needed to decrypt without connecting.

Oh, wait.....we download a keyfile of some sort when we connect that one time.  We can back that up too?  And what if that file gets corrupted.  Before, we might lose access to one corrupted package.  Now, if THAT file gets corrupted, NO encrypted content will work.

And I keep seeing other DAZ staff talking about "it accounts for 90% of support tickets" and "90% will never notice the files are encrypted."  Well, 90% of those 90% are the 'just trying it out cause it looked neat' crowd.  The other 10% are your bread and butter, because they consistently spend in the store.  Those 10% that WILL notice are the ones who edit files, rearrange directories, modify paths, and actually continue to use the product for years.  That 10% probably spends 90% of the money that goes through the DAZ Store.

Can't find something?  Why not actually put a metadata point into DIM that can be looked at when you right-click a product or show details that tells you the direct path to the main content it installed?  Seems simple enough, but it isn't there.......Or maybe a search box for the Content Files pane that actually works?  (i.e., it doesn't show the content icons for the search, but shows the FILE TREE for the search which you can then select from.....)

DRM is going to hurt DAZ.  But you won't listen.  We've shown countless history of how it's failed in the past.....why do you cling to it so?

I beleive that it's been said that a back up of the content will reisntall without needing to phone in, but in the worst case if you do have to go online in the bandiwdth for account activation seems to be very small so even a mobile account should not be strained, you would not need to rdownload your content.

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
    edited October 2015
    So what is your specific use case where encrypting the files prevents you from doing something?

I've spoken about it repeatedly, but just as the DAZ official replies keep getting swept away, I'm not surprised my own posts have as well. And yes, I haven't gone into detail, generally people don't care about the dorky details and I'm a little surprised I have to justify myself.

The two I use most heavily are

1) I perform edits directly on morph files to split up full body morphs I buy into eg: head/upper body/lower body, left/right, limbs/torso. Or isolating the face from the rest of a head morph that includes eg ears and head shape. I have a C# program I've written that is a great assist in this. The morphs may need clean up afterward, but a LOT LESS than if I tried to manually "undo" part of them, or bash Shrinkwrap and vertex groups into doing it for me.

I like the leg shape from one full body morph, the head from another? I'm not limited by the fact that they're FBMs. Most human characters have the heads as separate morphs, but "Monster" characters tend not to.

1 B) I've been looking at expanding this to basically "chopping off" a morphed limb or head or whatever  (including rigging transformations) and turning it into a geograft for the base figure to just surgically apply the one body part. I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with this ability, but nobody thought people would be using morphs to correct joint bending, or to drive other morphs to correct a third morph. I'm sure I'd come up with something... except

2) Direct copying of morph files from eg G2F to G2M or vice versa (usually vice versa, most monsters come out for G2M not G2F). Not the morph transfer utility, it produces a different result that I'm not looking for in this situation, and is still a little glitchy anyways. This involves replicating the morph directory structure, copying the morph files over, and then batch editing them to point back to the correct figure.

2B) 1 combined with 2 happens pretty frequently. "Oh, the face transformation off that male werewolf is exactly what I need for my female dog-woman!" I don't want it to have the male face, I want it to have the deltas. Basically, I want my Genesis single-body solution back :D

This also works between props or clothing that have the same base mesh, but it doesn't come up as much except during my own dev cycle, where the files are obviously unencrypted.

Misc other things:

As other people have mentioned repeatedly, products occasionally go out with something odd in one of the DUF files, and it's a lot cleaner and preciser to just go in and fix it. And DAZ are not always quick about doing this themselves.

Doing a mass edit and conversion of material presets from one shader base to another. Perl scripts for the win, although I'm experimenting more with C# for this. All those collaborations in the store where I was on a DS/Poser light set project, I was doing this to convert from poser LT2s to studio lights. I do this sort of mass conversion from poser materials to HSS or Uber Surface as well, including more modern materials with node networks.  This is easier to do from one studio format to another instead of from one program to another, but I still need to get into the files. Then it's push the button, and it whips through lightning fast.

This last point is, I think, going to be VERY interesting to me as I get settled into IRay. Also the reverse - turning IRay surfaces back into pure Uber Surface 2 presets to have better control over a 3DLight render.

EDIT:

I've also converted an item to G2M from G2F by hand fitting it to G2M, then copying the DUF etc and editing the DUF to replace the geometry, and then editing all the copied files to refer to the new DUF. It's very fast.

Post edited by Syndaryl on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I beleive that it's been said that a back up of the content will reisntall without needing to phone in, but in the worst case if you do have to go online in the bandiwdth for account activation seems to be very small so even a mobile account should not be strained, you would not need to rdownload your content.

Yeah, it was mentioned that it would be a small file/check...and only if updates were available would it start getting into bigger data transfers. 

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited October 2015
    hphoenix said:
    hphoenix said:

Do you talking with your wallet that is is the on ly language Companies understand anymore,.  I will continue to buy stuff here at daz until they Officially have changed their content to Dax connect instead  of Zip files at that time. My shopping days here are done. Money talks and it walks and it can move to other shopping sites.. give me some incentive Daz to keep buying your products.  Increased Product cost and now product key encryption.. is really not  what I call incentive for continuing to buy products for Multi Software users like myself.  No matter how much Hay you try to feed me its still Hay.

But don't take my word for it. Iets see how this all has worked out for daz sales ina year after they have made this change official . My bet is its going to work against Daz, not for them.  Unfortunately Daz Studio was not the only software I was using the site content in . even though I have been finding a lot less poser compatable products .  But it looks like the direction daz is heading for besides the cloud base content is but also  Proprietary software content only as well ... 
    The good thing is I have been in 3d long enough to have a very very large 1 TB plus  content Library  to work with for a long time to come.   So now thw question is going to be what can I spend the money I saved on from not buying 3d content at daz anymore.

With the money I'll be saving not spending at daz I can  update my wardrobe again this year.  I love buying Venus.com &  Victoria secrets clothing. I just got some London jeans from VS for $50  in size 12 this week  which I can actually wear myself..lol

Post edited by Ivy on
    Syndaryl said:

I've spoken about it repeatedly, but just as the DAZ official replies keep getting swept away, I'm not surprised my own posts have as well. And yes, I haven't gone into detail, generally people don't care about the dorky details and I'm a little surprised I have to justify myself.

The two I use most heavily are

1) I perform edits directly on morph files to split up full body morphs I buy into eg: head/upper body/lower body, left/right, limbs/torso. Or isolating the face from the rest of a head morph that includes eg ears and head shape. I have a C# program I've written that is a great assist in this. The morphs may need clean up afterward, but a LOT LESS than if I tried to manually "undo" part of them, or bash Shrinkwrap and vertex groups into doing it for me.

I like the leg shape from one full body morph, the head from another? I'm not limited by the fact that they're FBMs. Most human characters have the heads as separate morphs, but "Monster" characters tend not to.

1 B) I've been looking at expanding this to basically "chopping off" a morphed limb or head or whatever  (including rigging transformations) and turning it into a geograft for the base figure to just surgically apply the one body part. I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with this ability, but nobody thought people would be using morphs to correct joint bending, or to drive other morphs to correct a third morph. I'm sure I'd come up with something... except

2) Direct copying of morph files from eg G2F to G2M or vice versa (usually vice versa, most monsters come out for G2M not G2F). Not the morph transfer utility, it produces a different result that I'm not looking for in this situation, and is still a little glitchy anyways. This involves replicating the morph directory structure, copying the morph files over, and then batch editing them to point back to the correct figure.

2B) 1 combined with 2 happens pretty frequently. "Oh, the face transformation off that male werewolf is exactly what I need for my female dog-woman!" I don't want it to have the male face, I want it to have the deltas. Basically, I want my Genesis single-body solution back :D

This also works between props or clothing that have the same base mesh, but it doesn't come up as much except during my own dev cycle, where the files are obviously unencrypted.

Misc other things:

As other people have mentioned repeatedly, products occasionally go out with something odd in one of the DUF files, and it's a lot cleaner and preciser to just go in and fix it. And DAZ are not always quick about doing this themselves.

Doing a mass edit and conversion of material presets from one shader base to another. Perl scripts for the win, although I'm experimenting more with C# for this. All those collaborations in the store where I was on a DS/Poser light set project, I was doing this to convert from poser LT2s to studio lights. I do this sort of mass conversion from poser materials to HSS or Uber Surface as well, including more modern materials with node networks.  This is easier to do from one studio format to another instead of from one program to another, but I still need to get into the files. Then it's push the button, and it whips through lightning fast.

This last point is, I think, going to be VERY interesting to me as I get settled into IRay. Also the reverse - turning IRay surfaces back into pure Uber Surface 2 presets to have better control over a 3DLight render.

EDIT:

I've also converted an item to G2M from G2F by hand fitting it to G2M, then copying the DUF etc and editing the DUF to replace the geometry, and then editing all the copied files to refer to the new DUF. It's very fast.

Do it in the software instead of hacking the files. The results are at least as good, you can see what you are doing and are less prone to errors. 

Poser files are not encrypted. No issues there at all, 

Now as far as mass changes to files from DAZ Studio format to DAZ Studio format, there is API for that, so again, the DUF or DSF file do not need to be opened. 

In none of your use cases do you actually need to open the DUF files to achieve those results.

• I'm an infrequent user and peruser of the "What we want in the next version" threads, and certain things keep coming up:  good cloth dynamics/collisions that can be applied to any mesh you can load (P5 pioneered a pretty workable system for that back in, what, '03?), and dynamic hair (LaMH and Garibaldi both have decent strands without physics properties now).  These were first requested as features in the then-yet-to-be-seen DAZ|Studio 3, and have not happened yet.  A good, or at least plausible and easy-to-use, physics engine for hard-body drop-and-bounce sorts of animations.  Sometimes integration with new or popular render engines is brought up (iRay was an unexpected and delightful answer to much of this!)  Someone asked this morning for support for high-resolution monitors, on which the on-screen text all but disappears.  Allowing users to adjust UI text size would be a simple enough fix.

Yeah, about a third of the requests, or more, are for features that are already there but aren't as well publicized.  I've even fielded one, maybe two, of those you-can-already suggestions myself.  But hardly any of the things users ask for are ever implemented.  I've never seen anyone ask for a DRM system there.  Even most of the posting PAs seem to be against it.  But guess what the 4.9 release is all about:  cloud storage (might as well leave my files in the breakroom) and anti-piracy encryption (at which point the breakrooom sounds like a good enough plan, as I can't get the combination-lock open anyway... my purchases, since I can't use them, become FTGH for whomever can).

BLUF:  Before the development team implement another shiney-happy-innovative toy to bump the model number forward one more peg, y'all need to look at what your customers actually want in your product!.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,874
    edited October 2015
    vwrangler said:

Yes. I understand that. However. If I organize content in a way that at least theoretically makes sense to me, then I shouldn't have that number one complaint. And if I do, it's my own damn fault, and Daz Connect won't really be able to help much with that anyway. Also, not quite the point I was making in the first paragraph quoted, and not relevant for the second.

Yet many customers with that complaint do organize their content in a way that makes sense to them and then contacts customer support complaining about not being able to find their content. The problem with that scenario is that customer support can no longer find that content either. 

And, again:
    (1) Not the point I was actually trying to discuss,
    (2) My own damn fault if I lose content I relocate myself, as noted;
    (3) Not the source of my particular continuing confusion;
    (4) I entirely understand that all customer service can do in that case is to tell someone to download it again and put it where it was put by Daz, and that customers get irritated with that response; to which Customer Service can only say, as diplomatically as possible,
    (5) see previous point 2.

Regarding the first issue of What I Was Actually Trying To Discuss: I still don't understand the relationship between what you've been saying here about Daz Connect vs DIM vs web delivery, and what Rawb is trying to do, and what Vince is saying. How do those work together?

And please, I do beg you, put to one side the issue of customers finding content they have moved around themselves, and instead make the connections between the things the three of you are saying more clear to me. I'm sure it's there; I'm just not getting it.

Post edited by vwrangler on

As for me, why I feel annoy such encrypting it should make me difficult to understand how each content work.

I use JSON editor often.  eg, DAZ suddenly use Alias for pose controller about gen2F.

of course DAZ never clear said ,"we now use Alias , then it work as such etc"

I needed  to change pose controller for my customized character.  but when I check subcomponet,

there seems no sub controlelr,, why,, it is empty. then I serch dsf, then understand..

Hmmmm,, so Alias seems work as clone for real JCM .   then hope to make Alias For my controller too.

to learn these things, I need to look and serch each file, then needed to open dsf, and check learn forumula

with DAZ dson document.   It is not kind for me at all, I feel it is written for programmer, no custom user.

but I can learn JSON, then I read and leraned.   (of course I need to say thank you, even though these document seems monster for me)

or sometimes, vendor actually offer miss formula  product morph .  I do not say which product missed forumula etc,

but if I could not check dsf directly, I can not find where is problem. then I could not report about product.

If I can check dsf directly, I did not need to wait the vnedor understand there is problem, and up-date.

if it is rocked as  not to modify , I can not clear, where is problem and why it happen about such simple morph mistake.

hey,, I really can learn daz studio by tweaking and read DSON files,  but if you rock about asset data,

I can not anymore, DAZ really like change often, then I hope to follow it. even though I am not vendor,

but just hope to learn, product I bought as real money , and hope to know why it work so.  then try to use

the knowledge to improve my character or making contennt just for me!

I have never tried  to download irregal copied product!! and not use such download site. such tools never!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    jakiblue said:

Question: with the new encrypted files, does this mean I will no longer be able to open a .duf file in a text editor, fix a file pathing problem and save it - thereby ensuring I can use the product until the update comes in?

This is a good question, please DAZ don't ignore it.  I too want to know about this.................

This discussion has been closed.