Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.0.21!

Comments

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
    edited October 2015
    Do it in the software instead of hacking the files. The results are at least as good, you can see what you are doing and are less prone to errors. 

Tell me how to split off the morph of a face from the rest of the head with a gradient fall off around the edge of the face to help with a smooth transition, in Studio. Tell me how to split a whole body morph into left-of-figure from right-of-figure, again with a smooth gradient between the two halves of the morph so they can be dialed in together for the same effect, or dialed in one at a time for a partial effect with a relatively smooth transition. Tell me how to directly copy the deltas from G2M to G2F. The transfer utility doesn't do this. It's also slow as balls at what it does do. Now, what it does do is GREAT, don't get me wrong! But it's friggin recalculating everything and I don't need that. I just need the damn file of deltas copied over and repointed.

Poser files are not encrypted. No issues there at all, 

Please read my post. I didn't say that was an issue. I just explained I've been doing that with major format shifting (eg. poser to Studio) for years, and I now also do that with what should be minor format shifting (one shader to another) within Daz formats. But now I won't be able to do the second.

Now as far as mass changes to files from DAZ Studio format to DAZ Studio format, there is API for that, so again, the DUF or DSF file do not need to be opened. 

The API is poorly documented, the DAZ script editor is primitive, and the DAZ scripting engine is slow as all get out. I'm already fluent in C# and I have full familiarity with JSON and the libraries I use to work with it in C#. I can do all my coding in a well developed industry standard IDE, and I get a binary at the end of it which has great performance. I also get world class professional debugging tools for when it all goes pear shaped instead of squinting at a log file for trace print statements and praying I printed out the right variable, like in the '90s. I'm also not shackled to Studio's own 2GB memory footprint, internal bugs, and general performance problems (as a scripting environemnt) when all I need to do is a JSON read and write. Never mind that I lean heavily on regular expressions for some of this work.

Give me an IDE with intelligent assistance, proper tracing and debugging tools, and a fast result, and you'll be competing with what I'm doing right now. I don't think DAZ wants to get into the IDE market, or ship a full one with each copy of Studio (talk about bloatware).

There is no visual feedback for most of what I'm doing here.

Post edited by Syndaryl on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    RAMWolff said:
    jakiblue said:

Question: with the new encrypted files, does this mean I will no longer be able to open a .duf file in a text editor, fix a file pathing problem and save it - thereby ensuring I can use the product until the update comes in?

This is a good question, please DAZ don't ignore it.  I too want to know about this.................

That's exactly what it means...it has been answered, but what hasn't been completely answered is whether or not that is doable with the Script Editor in Studio...it's sort of been implied that maybe it can.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    jakiblue said:

Question: with the new encrypted files, does this mean I will no longer be able to open a .duf file in a text editor, fix a file pathing problem and save it - thereby ensuring I can use the product until the update comes in?

This is a good question, please DAZ don't ignore it.  I too want to know about this.................

That's exactly what it means...it has been answered, but what hasn't been completely answered is whether or not that is doable with the Script Editor in Studio...it's sort of been implied that maybe it can.

I've never used that editor, I like my editor (Edit Pad Pro) which I bought for work like this.  I'm used to that work flow I don't want to be forced to do my edits in the DAZ editor.  That's not cool at all! angry

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
    RAMWolff said:

I've never used that editor, I like my editor (Edit Pad Pro) which I bought for work like this.  I'm used to that work flow I don't want to be forced to do my edits in the DAZ editor.  That's not cool at all! angry

The DAZ editor doesn't have the ability to find-and-replace across many files in one location, and it doesn't do regex find-and-replaces. For those, I even put Visual Studio aside and turn to Edit Pad Pro because of the good implementation. It's a great editor.

Syndaryl said:
    RAMWolff said:

The DAZ editor doesn't have the ability to find-and-replace across many files in one location, and it doesn't do regex find-and-replaces. For those, I even put Visual Studio aside and turn to Edit Pad Pro because of the good implementation. It's a great editor.

Yup.  If DAZ is going to force us to use their inline Editor then they need to implement stuff like search and replace and all that other stuff.  I use that all the time too! 

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    Syndaryl said:
    Do it in the software instead of hacking the files. The results are at least as good, you can see what you are doing and are less prone to errors. 

Tell me how to split off the morph of a face from the rest of the head with a gradient fall off around the edge of the face to help with a smooth transition, in Studio. Tell me how to split a whole body morph into left-of-figure from right-of-figure, again with a smooth gradient between the two halves of the morph so they can be dialed in together for the same effect, or dialed in one at a time for a partial effect with a relatively smooth transition. Tell me how to directly copy the deltas from G2M to G2F. The transfer utility doesn't do this. It's also slow as balls at what it does do. Now, what it does do is GREAT, don't get me wrong! But it's friggin recalculating everything and I don't need that. I just need the damn file of deltas copied over and repointed.

You made the same post elsewhere. the answer is there. 

Syndaryl said:

Poser files are not encrypted. No issues there at all, 

Please read my post. I didn't say that was an issue. I just explained I've been doing that with major format shifting (eg. poser to Studio) for years, and I now also do that with what should be minor format shifting (one shader to another) within Daz formats. But now I won't be able to do the second.

Sure you can. Make your changes and save the file. There is no need to hack the file. 

Syndaryl said:

Now as far as mass changes to files from DAZ Studio format to DAZ Studio format, there is API for that, so again, the DUF or DSF file do not need to be opened. 

The API is poorly documented, the DAZ script editor is primitive, and the DAZ scripting engine is slow as all get out. I'm already fluent in C# and I have full familiarity with JSON and the libraries I use to work with it in C#. I can do all my coding in a well developed industry standard IDE, and I get a binary at the end of it which has great performance. I also get world class professional debugging tools for when it all goes pear shaped instead of squinting at a log file for trace print statements and praying I printed out the right variable, like in the '90s. I'm also not shackled to Studio's own 2GB memory footprint, internal bugs, and general performance problems (as a scripting environemnt) when all I need to do is a JSON read and write. Never mind that I lean heavily on regular expressions for some of this work.

Give me an IDE with intelligent assistance, proper tracing and debugging tools, and a fast result, and you'll be competing with what I'm doing right now. I don't think DAZ wants to get into the IDE market, or ship a full one with each copy of Studio (talk about bloatware).

There is no visual feedback for most of what I'm doing here.

You also have not looked at the Script editor since before 4.7. And the API is not limited to script access. Ask your dev questions in the appropiate forum, and you will get answers. 

mjc1016 said:

Like I said before pick one method and stick to it...and this is actually something that I prefer (other than the possibility of duplicated texture files). It could be very well the simplest to actually manage,  if the database is completely reliable.   Because there can now be an infinite number of organization schemes and nothing will break.  But it does require a fully functioning database...

Since the only issues I have seen with the PostgreSQL database is people having issues installing it and the longstanding PostgreSQL - Zonealarm conflict. What are you saying is wrong with the database? 

Nothing is wrong with it...now.  Just that it is a prerequisite for this kind of content management.  Valentina on the other hand...

That is one part of this that I really like.  (Oh and there's a strange problem with Daz's Postgre and WINE....but that could just be my system.  The standalone Windows works in WINE and the Linux native works, too.)

mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    jakiblue said:

No, it can't be edited in the DAZ Studio Script editor. I didn't mean to imply that, if I inadvertently did. 

mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    jakiblue said:

No, it can't be edited in the DAZ Studio Script editor. I didn't mean to imply that, if I inadvertently did. 

Then how are we supposed to edit files if they are locked down (encrypted)?

edited October 2015
    mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    jakiblue said:

Ok...then I guess fixing path errors is a thing of the past.  But there shouldn't be many of those with Connect content, any way, right?

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    RAMWolff said:
    mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    jakiblue said:

Then how are we supposed to edit files if they are locked down (encrypted)?

What specific use case is there for that? I have seen one list, and none of the things listed actually need access to the file. 

Fixing paths comes to mind............

mjc1016 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    jakiblue said:

Ok...then I guess fixing path errors is a thing of the past.  But there shouldn't be many of those with Connect content, any way, right?

And fixes should be available faster. 

RAMWolff said:

If you aren't moving files there is less need for path fixes. And bug fixes are easier to send to you this way. 

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    RAMWolff said:
    mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    jakiblue said:

exactly thank you

edited October 2015
    RAMWolff said:

If you aren't moving files there is less need for path fixes. And bug fixes are easier to send to you this way. 

There are plenty that do get past Q/A with path errors, now.   And fixes take at least a day but usually 3 or so, after they are reported.  Even if the fix is now a day or a few hours away, and just the one file it still needs to be reported before the fix is even started, while an edit is only a few seconds/minutes.

Something I just bought in the sale has one...no I can't remember what item it was, but it was an absolute path that went to Jack's C;/ drive not mine...simply chopping that bit off and resaving it in my text editor was all that was needed.  Yes, it was a texture reference that could have been manually loaded and then resaved, but it was quicker to just edit the file.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,573
    edited October 2015
    mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:

There are plenty that do get past Q/A with path errors, now.   And fixes take at least a day but usually 3 or so, after they are reported.  Even if the fix is now a day or a few hours away, and just the one file it still needs to be reported before the fix is even started, while an edit is only a few seconds/minutes.

You could save a new preset, though that would not be a batch fix.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899

I just finished going through all 16 pages of this thread and ... wow... there is some serious panic going on.  I have some concerns of my own that I'll figure out later how to express, but in the mean time...

To the mods here...

You guys are doing an incredible job keeping your cool!  yes  Serious props to you all, and don't let all the panic sour you (ultimately it is still just a job).  You're the messenger, and you're taking the beating, but it's not your decisions people are beating on, it's Nippon's (I never knew about that until I read it a couple pages back).  I can only imaging the absolute dread you guys felt when you heard about all these changes and knew the furor it would cause in the forums.  I can imagine some of you actually dread getting up in the morning to go in to work to face this.  It's not you.... it's not personal... don't let it get you down.  We NEED you guys here, even if we sometimes forget it.  heart

Let's not beat too hard on the mods... they're trying hard to be helpful, and they're people just like us.

It's still BETA.... which means a lot of what we're worried about may still be changed, scrapped, whatever.  I know there's a few things I'm hoping get changed.  smiley

Ray

mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:

Something I just bought in the sale has one...no I can't remember what item it was, but it was an absolute path that went to Jack's C;/ drive not mine...simply chopping that bit off and resaving it in my text editor was all that was needed.  Yes, it was a texture reference that could have been manually loaded and then resaved, but it was quicker to just edit the file.

Plenty? I haven't seen that many. (And yes, I am a customer.) Part of the delay is having to repackage the product. That is not the case with DAZ Connect. 

• I'll be voting with my wallet on this. No Poser/Daz content that is encrypted will enter my hard disk unless it is truly embarrassingly dirt cheap, or free. I want to be able to edit my content, jpg's, cr2's, duf's etc and arrange the files as I please, thank you very much.

Also I won't knowingly get and use any application that will stop working at a time that the selling company sees fit. I was fooled into buying Poser Pro 14 Game Dev because they didn't tell beforehand that it stopped working if it couldn't phone home.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

After all I feel DAZ hope customer  just buy  daz content  , apply shader preset,  matpreset, and make scene then render.

not hope to modify ,edit, learn how each file  work without you become daz vendor.

daz programmer understand clear  which tool work how about each version .

then you say  it is easy without tweaking file, you can do samething in daz stuido only.it may work but it may work not well.

I often get customer support reply,  at current, it seems not work as expected, etc. then suddenly it work when daz up-date..

there were many topics, if you  edit one code in dsf , it work , or prevent your problem easy.

eg one morph file cause problem , everytime user load genesis, it turn monster. or it happen when user apply character preset.

but user can not find which file cause problem. you may just need to set current value of the problem morph.dsf . and set default value zero.

But  if you try modify  and save, l by DAZ tools only (save modifed asset etc) it may cause problem for custom user.

because they can not clear, how each option work.

but if user can  find and edit the morph.dsf , it work as expected.   and not care, (if you mistake, just delete the file only, then re-load the buck up file)

But if user  can not check them, maybe he re-install again and again. then ask  support, then support can not answer clear.

mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:

You could save a new preset, though that would not be a batch fix.

Correct. 

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

A good business listens to the people that keep that business going. Those people are the customers, as, without them, the business folds as there is no business being done without them. A business that tells their customers "This is how it's going to be!" will lose the customers that disagree with that as they feel they're not being listened to. A business that will only listen to their 'ideas men' and not their customers will not do well, as, yet again, customers that don't agree with these ideas will disappear as they don't feel that they are being listened to.

A business that listens to their customers, implements the things that THEY want in order for that business to continue running, that consults the customers about things that 'ideas men' come up with and DOESN'T implement things that customers didn't want or ask for will do well. Customers will stay loyal, inform others how good that business is which generates new customers and more income.

Daz, listen to your customers, by all means consult 'ideas men', but, consult us to see if what those 'ideas men' come up with is something we want.

We managed perfectly well without 'bright ideas' like DIM and CMS, and, should, if you do things properly, continue to do so. Please keep the .zip option for those of us that don't feel the need for 'bright ideas' as we have consistently proved that things work perfectly well without them.

Losing customers thanks to poor implementation of 'bright ideas' is something you can't afford to do

edited October 2015
    mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:

Plenty? I haven't seen that many. (And yes, I am a customer.) Part of the delay is having to repackage the product. That is not the case with DAZ Connect. 

More than one or two a week...granted a lot of them are on older content that is getting updated.  And yeah, I imagined the turn around time would drop a lot with Connect...but a quick edit is still faster.

And I did mention about resaving/saving after reloading the texture...but it was more efficient to edit the file.  Open the duf, search and replace.  Save. 

I do enough of that when I forget to move the textures to the texture folder when making something...at least those won't be encrypted and can still manually edit the dufs.

mjc1016 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:

More than one or two a week...granted a lot of them are on older content that is getting updated.  And yeah, I imagined the turn around time would drop a lot with Connect...but a quick edit is still faster.

Fix it and save a preset. 

mjc1016 said:

Fix it and save a preset. 

Point is, that for me, it is a lot faster to open it in a text editor and chop off the part that is making it an absolute path than is it to drill through and manually load in the missing image map.   Besides, that's the way I'm used to doing it...and yes, used hack CR2s like that too (dufs are a lot easier to read and find things in).

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164

I'm not going to bother commenting on daz new 4.9 I'm done with it  Do as you must . and I will not support it  Sorry .. But I do I have a request I would like to get done before you guys implement  the new Daz connect. I would really like a bug fix for this product i bought in July and had a open ticket on  it since July  its a great product i love using it. it just what i needed for my animation and it would be much better if the doors and everything function the way it said on the product page when i bought it. I don't want a return or my money back.  I really would like the door to work? Any help here? 

I am buying  and clearing out my wish list. and no longer adding things to it in anticipation of the new connect products encryption schema, so getting this ticket request done before the big change over would be great. because I am in the process of downloading all my products in my daz product library  with 2 different copies of Daz Studio backed up  with serial keys#   and I am walking away.

a capture of the help request starting back in july

Capture.JPG
    1411 x 1166 - 173K
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

I have bought  one product with PDF kind manuall from daz shop offered by popular vendor, then it recommend edit DSF to work it.

though I felt it seems miss understanding, there is another way it work.  Then  I do not know,

if it work at current DS 4.8  witout tweaking dsf file, I know the vendor send bug report about this. .

maybe DAZ work quick if bug report offered by vendor.   then maybe resume it already.

but if daz hope not user check dsf  files, you may better  at first check these product,   then stop sell them. 

I do not teach you which product  guide to edit dsf .angel

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited October 2015

There you have it, "That is the way I'm used to doing it."

Your fly in the ointment when it comes to 'bright ideas'. You need to keep on side with these folks, they are mostly your bread and butter. As for "Try it, you might like it!", that's what the tobacco companies said, that hasn't ended terribly well!

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited October 2015

Image map?

Select the untextured part(s), in the surfaces pane select the material zone.

Click browse to the correct file.

Save as material preset. 

Compared to

Not have the file load porperly.

Find the offending file. 

Open it in a text editor.

Find the line with the broken reference.

Fix the broken reference (Which usually requires you to browse to where the file is located.) 

Save the file.

Refresh your library

Apply the new version and hope you got all of it. 

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
This discussion has been closed.