New Carrara 3D Animation. "Beyond the Ghetto". Cyberpunk Dystopia (SciFiFunk 15)

Go beyond the Ghetto, go deep into the old city where the cameras have been removed, if you dare. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKP55l_dhrE

In the future the population seek protection with the city walls of the New London. Just outside those walls the level 4 citizens create ghettos and eek out a living feeding off the scraps of those inside.

The remains of "Greater London" are not policed or catered for. It's a wild west suitable for unscrupulous gangs. Our hero wishes to take a journey to one such conurbation, known in our time as Dagenham.

He gets a welcome which will set him on a brand new path of self confidence ....

more at
https://www.facebook.com/scififunk?ref=hl

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

The English Bruce Lee is very nicely done, excellent animation Steve, bravo !

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    DUDU said:

The English Bruce Lee is very nicely done, excellent animation Steve, bravo !

Many thanks my friend!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Very good, especially the character animation and the camera movement.  Somehow, "The Fifth Element" comes to mind ... B-}

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

A fight scene!  Yes!

Excellent fun  :)  The last line was reminiscent of the Matrix:  "I know kung fu."

Seemed to be a lot of camera shake/bounce when it was first person view of the protagonist walking, as if you had actually parented the camera to the walking characters head, not sure it was necessary as a simply smooth camera movement at head height would have worked too.  Just my opinion though, the 'camera shake' style works fine in some movies (Bourne comes to mind)

BTW that taxi station attendant eating a sandwich bit really really worked. I don't know where you found bvh/animate files for someone eating or whether you just keyframed it,but that was really convincing, and I'm thinking an animation of someone eating is pretty difficult to do.

edited October 2015

Many thanks Jonstark and Steve K,

Fight scene! Yes I tried to get as close to the fight scene in Bourne 3, as I could given time contstraints / budget etc. There was a bit of Matrix in there. Had to use a similar black coat as it looks so good for those fight scnenes (completely impractical in real life but thats the movies for you).

The walk/shake bounce. It's a taste thing I suppose. Sometimes I like it, sometimes it's not quite right. Either way it's a "cheap" shot in that it's easier to animate, and I'm looking to roll this series out ASAP these days.

Thanks Jon re: Taxi Boss. It won't suprise you to learn then that I spent a lot of time on that character. As always I start from preset/stock mocap. but that sequence needed a lot of editing to turn it into a conversation / other actions sequence (the scanner, burger etc). If you look closely I took one bite then a couple of bites out of it for added realism!

Episode 15 was one of the more difficult in the series. Coregraphing the fight scene was tricky. Translating that into an action sequence that stayed in sync even harder. Also the episode combines several sets from earlier in the movie.

Episode 16 is thankfully more straight forward....

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited October 2015

Another excellent episode. I loved seeing the final fight, after watching your construction videos. The only comment I have relates to the cabbie and the owner: in such a heavily surveilled society, they seemed way too open and forthcoming. The fact that they weren't even suspicious makes me suspicious, IYSWIM. Although I liked the fact that the first thing he did was take Steve's photo. (also, how did he immediately know which driver, considering S. has radically changed his appearance since he last saw him?)

But the quality of the  animation was such that after a while I forgot I was watching an animation. yes

Post edited by TangoAlpha on

Thanks TangoAlpha.

I think you should constantly be suspicous when watching this web series. Who do you trust? Don't forget that's the same cabbie driver from episode 5 (the one that smirked).

The photo taking is in fact a retina scan. Immediately the person, his credit rating and relevant information are retrieved. It is also how people take payment in the future. The thugs were robbing him and then having some sport on the side. They didn't bargain on thier victim being a trained kick-boxer. Come to think of it, niether did he!

Thanks for your kind words about the animation. I had to re-animate, fix etc several times per shot on the Taxi boss. :)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Very cool... another sparkling episode!  smiley

Yes... suspicious indeed. Especially if you are a TalkTalk customer...which thankfully I am not. frown

yes SileneUK

Many thanks Silene - Next Episode is called "Disinformation". Another layer of corruption is revealed.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Another great episode and the quality of the animation and rendering just keeps getting better and better. Some great lighting in this too!

edited October 2015
    PhilW said:

Another great episode and the quality of the animation and rendering just keeps getting better and better. Some great lighting in this too!

Many thanks Phil. I think we are "into the groove" now. There are some tough rendering challenges ahead. I may need to up the rendering gear. Some frames in future episodes are up to 8 minutes a frame!

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on