Boolean operations in the Vertex room ??

I've never tried doing booleans in the vertex room, bit tried now for the first time.

SO I selected both intersecting meshes, activated Boolean subtractions, I do as the prompt says "Alt+Ctrl click a point on 'this polymesh', which will turn yellow" -- and then what?

Doh! Not a very intuitive operation. 

Can someone help. please?

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811

what I do for e.g..

in the modelling room create a simple plane mesh

then create a simple low poly cube

select the cube and place it through the plane 

with the cube still selected click on the Boolean icon in the toolbar and then just a simple mouse click on the plane mesh and boolean... done yes

Screenshot 2023-08-31 104344.png
    788 x 693 - 72K
    Screenshot 2023-08-31 104419.png
    669 x 660 - 51K
  • cobuspcobusp Posts: 302

Stezza said:

what I do for e.g..

in the modelling room create a simple plane mesh

then create a simple low poly cube

select the cube and place it through the plane 

with the cube still selected click on the Boolean icon in the toolbar and then just a simple mouse click on the plane mesh and boolean... done yes

Thanks for the reply. Problem is, Boolean isn't available if only one mesh is selected (and for some reason I cannot upload any image files (Pg or Jpeg) to this thread :-( When it starts Uploading, that's is where it stays!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811

Do you have the standard version or Pro version of Carrara?

uploading attachments really sux at the moment and Daz doesn't know how to fix it by the looks of it... no

I have Pro 8.5

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 190
    edited September 2023

Have you consulted the CarraraOnlineHelp (menu: Help->Carrara Help)? It will open a pdf. Thou it's a version 7 manual, it's mostly correct IMHO.

The Boolean Operation of the modeler room is described on page 276 and onwards.

Post edited by RuudL on

Thank you, I have gone to the manual and decided to just use the boolean tool in the control bar -- not the Boolean operation under the Construct menu. That solved the problem!

I have now come up with a new challenge in the vertex room -- I cannot find a way to smooth edges that Carrara automatically creased when I use the Bridge tool. Even when I select All edges to be smoothed, or using the smooth tool -- no luck! You can see in my screenshot how ugly that looks when applying subdivision smoothing to the mesh. :-(

Capture crease.PNG
    931 x 750 - 258K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

That is often a sign that you have impermissible overlapping edges, or a double plane occupying the same space, or similar.

Diomede said:

That is often a sign that you have impermissible overlapping edges, or a double plane occupying the same space, or similar.

Ah - Cinema has a great mesh checking function, and it identified these edges as "non-manifold". Thank you!

• In my experience, boolean, regardless of what design tool you employ it in, is not a one click solution tool.

After hours of use I have gleaned to personally single out exclusively all the intersecting planes of the new primative, cut them out of the original primate and then boolean the new primative into just them.

Afterwards, using "avg weld" I can then add them back into the original primative and correct just a handfull of the absurdly generated new polies that appear after boolean operation.
    AND you have to correct all these polies or you can't use "Lines" and "Insert Points" on the newly modified primative.