What is a "transmat"

I keep running across this term in studying AOA lighting.  I don't know what it means.  Even Google is stumped!  Can someone help?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

It's usually transmap, short for transparency map, a grayscale image file used to make parts of an item transparent.  In DS/Poser, black is completely transparent and white is completely opaque.  For example, let's say you have a long-sleeved shirt and you want it to be sleeveless.  You take the template for the shirt and paint the sleeves black and the rest of the shirt white, and you put that in the Opacity channel.

• tring01tring01 Posts: 305

It's usually transmap, short for transparency map, a grayscale image file used to make parts of an item transparent.  In DS/Poser, black is completely transparent and white is completely opaque.  For example, let's say you have a long-sleeved shirt and you want it to be sleeveless.  You take the template for the shirt and paint the sleeves black and the rest of the shirt white, and you put that in the Opacity channel.

Perfect!  Thanks!

I was watching a YouTube tutorial series by a British guy and he must have said it 60 times.  Was driving me mad.  Thanks much for the reply!