oh yeah, newbie here to bug ya! Subdivide scale??

PoserMagicPoserMagic Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

2 issues, no tut I have found has a major break down of where things are, I am looking for subdivide. I know enough 3d modeling stuff to get myself into trouble but not enough to do what I want. Also, I have seen tuts on how to export obj like V4 hands and how to scale them in hex, but not see how to export them. What scale?? I did a morph on M4 head and his neck went up up and away! I think I exported wrong. Any help would be great! thanks

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

You export at the inverse to the scale you imorted at.

• PoserMagicPoserMagic Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ascania said:

Ok I am very new, I have no clue what that mean! LOL Sorry, when I import the obj, it is defalt at 1.00 I set it to 100 so what do I export it at?1.00? Thanks :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited May 2012

Same settings. There is an export bridge for Hex, if your in DAZ Studio just hit the DAZ Studio icon and it will take you back to DS and offer to create a morph target for you.

HexCustomDSExport.jpg
    668 x 90 - 18K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • edited May 2012

I don't think he's talking about I/O scaling, Ascania. "Posermagic", "head morph" and "stretched neck" (a little transliteration here...) are major clues to problems I observed early on in creating morphs for use in poser.

So PoserMagic...

What you need to do is export the head from Poser as a wavefront object file. When the "export options" box appears, the only 2 boxes you want checked are "as morph target (no world transformations)" and "include body part names in polygon groups".

If you don't check "as morph target", poser exports the head from it's current position, and when you reimport it, the head POSITION will be added to the morph along with its SHAPE. If the model was moved from its default position before exporting it this way, it results in the target flying off away from the model. Exporting as a "morph target" exports the object with the default position coordinates and prevents that from happening.

MOREOVER:

Once you bring the head into hexagon, DO NOT MOVE IT (or at the very least, don't move the neck seam points). Otherwise, you'll end up with the head flying off away from the body just as in the case above. You can change its shape, but NOT its position.

BTW, (this may be a little complicated) there's a way of "fixing" your morph *IF* you still have your original exported head WITHOUT ANY WORK DONE ON IT. Heres how:

Load the morphed head you altered into poser as a morph target.
    ALSO load the original head as you exported it as another morph target.
    Now set your altered morph to "1" so that the head fies off.
    Next set your original head to "-1". This subtracts your error and will put the head back where it belongs, and with your morphing intact.
    Now you can "spawn morph target" on the head and delete the other 2 morphs targets.

As I said, this can get real tricky so you may have to do some experimenting. And unfortunately, if you don't have a copy of the original export, then you won't be able to use the above trick.

Hope this helps!

Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • edited May 2012

Ascania said:

Ok I am very new, I have no clue what that mean! LOL Sorry, when I import the obj, it is defalt at 1.00 I set it to 100 so what do I export it at?1.00? Thanks :)

In hexagon, if you import at a scale of 1 you want to export at a scale of 1.
    If you import at a scale of 100, you want to export at a scale of .01

1 is the inverse of 1, and .01 (the decimal equivalent of 1/100) is the inverse of 100.

Mathematically stated, the inverse of x is 1/x and "x" can be any number.

Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
    edited December 1969

Thank you all SO SO much :) You all have given me all kinds of useful information. Thanks so very much again! I so wish I had not flunked geometry 2 times in High school, I never thought I would need it! LOL As a mom of 3 I am going to make sure they pass everything even if they think they won't "need" it! lol

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

I don't think he's talking about I/O scaling, Ascania. "Posermagic", "head morph" and "stretched neck" (a little transliteration here...) are major clues to problems I observed early on in creating morphs for use in poser.

Indeed. And they indicate that the morph target came in at the wrong scale.
    The most common way of getting a morph target at the wrong scale out of Hexagon is not exporting it to the inverse of the scale used to import it. (well, the multiplicative inverse actually)

The rests, as you wrote, is basic Maths. Pre-high school level maths.

edited December 1969

Ascania said:

Indeed. And they indicate that the morph target came in at the wrong scale.
    The most common way of getting a morph target at the wrong scale out of Hexagon is not exporting it to the inverse of the scale used to import it. (well, the multiplicative inverse actually)

The rests, as you wrote, is basic Maths. Pre-high school level maths.

Yeah, I just mean in general I wish I had passed. It was just a basic statement, not about the post. I never though I would be using a program that relied on geometry. Knowing all the terms and all the other stuff. I have learned it over the 5 years I have been doing poser but it would have been nice to not have to learn later in life and knew as soon as I opened the programs. :)

edited December 1969

Oh, and ty I loaded the morph target obj I saved that was making his head go up back into hex. I re-saved it at the scale provided then loaded it, and yay! It worked :) ty all so much :)