Shaders renders only WHITE

Sometimes I have a problem with shaders in that they only looks bright white when rendered. 

What can I do to avoid this , is there a setting that I might not know about?

It is not a specific shader, it just happens now and again.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583

It's caused by a corrupt shader file in the temporary folders -- AFAIK they haven't been able to pinpoint any particular cause.  When it happens, go to the temp folder (you can find it in Edit > Preferences) and delete the contents of the Brickyard folder, then when you render DS will recreate the shader files.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

There are 3 things that I know can cause it...and probably a lot more.

1. Canceling a render BEFORE it is done optimizing images/precalculating SSS.

2. Taking too long for the files to be written to the temp folder, so that the render actually starts rendering before they are all there (this is pretty rare and happens only with a large write cache on the hard drive being used AND a lot drive activity).

3. Not having the permissions to write to the temp folder...this one will make it so EVERY time a render happens it will 'whiteout'...if it starts at all.

Those are the 3 I've found by actually doing them...the first is the most common reason it happens for me.  The second and third don't happen any longer since moving things around so the temp file is not on the drive with most activity and has proper permissions.

Another reason, that could cause it, but more often causes different problems...two figures with the same SSS ID.

In all cases, other than slow writes or permission problems..the fix is as Mike said.

• I just restart DS, has always worked so far.

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,105

Yes in general you have to close DS, take a coffee, restart DS. It is a matter of the way 3Delight bakes your shaders. I oftern works in shader mixer, and I often have these issues. Only closing DS will solve that!

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Deleting the the corrupt files in the temp brickyard will fix it most of the time without having to close Studio.  The few time it didn't I needed to delete the temp optimized textures as most likely one of them was corrupted and messing up the shader.