Mac OS /Carrera and narcolepsy

I use Mac OS 9.5. Whenever I have a large render in Carerra say over 2-3 hours my mac falls asleep and when I re-awaken it the render in Carrera has frozen. This is despite the fact that I have moved the screen saver to never going to sleep setting.  I have to abort the render and start over, making sure nexttime that I move the mouse around every  hour or so.  I thought it was a problem with Carrera, and was about to ask about it on the formum, however after doing some searching on line I find that it is a mac problem as it does the same to other rendering programs, If you are having the same problem the solution is quite simple. It is a little Mac App called Caffeine. Go either to the Apple App Website where it costs $3.99 or download it for free from caffeine.macsoftware.com  I tried it last night with a 7 hour render and it works.

Starboardtack

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I was just about to say, "Caffeine", but you figured it out wink Brilliant little app - just sits in the menu bar. Click on the coffee cup when you don't want the Mac to sleep, and click it off when you want to go back to normal. Essential for those massive 40+ hour renders!

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,847

Is that 10.9.5? I've never had that problem, ever. What hardware are you using, and what are your settings in the Energy Saving Panel. I've rendered using Carrara, Vue, DS, Poser, never happened.

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452

Totte,

Yes you are right, its 10.9.5   I am using a mac mini 2012 / 16 RAM.  I tried a number of settings in the Energy Savings Panel. even  "Never" sleep. Also all the display settings, along with enable power nap.   No matter what setting the mac would go to sleep "on the job".  The problem is apparently known as a search online brings up other examples.  If you have never experienced it ..keep doing what your doing...Your golden.  

Starboardtack 

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452

Totte,

You have got me thinking...When  Carrara freezes, as described in the top post, and I have to "Force Quit" Carrara, It shows in the force quite frame that  "Quick Time 32" is not responding.   I thought that Carrara 8.5 was  64 bit ? Why does it show 32 ?

Starboardtack

Force Quit frame.png
    396 x 284 - 42K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Quick tip - if you are doing a render which will take a long time, even a still, use batch rendering so that if there is a stoppage, you can restart where it left off.  Our horriby inefficient power supplier often has what they call "load shedding", where the power gets switched off for a few hours, so this is a boon.

Last I heard, Quicktime was still 32 bits.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373

its quicktime not carrara. QT is not being updated and beleive its dust bin ready. never render to qiucktime. image sequence is the way to go