[Released] Mirror Geometry for Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Mirror Hair and Clothing with the new Mirror Geometry for Genesis 9!

This powerful script quickly and easily creates mirror images of hair and clothing that are virtually indistinguishable from the original items. Mirror items support the same bone hierarchy, morphs (including JCMs), DFormers, rigid follow nodes, and more. Even hierarchical material presets will work with your new mirrored items!

The RSE Mirror Geometry for Genesis 9 from Esha and RiverSoft Art can:

• Mirror Clothing and dForce Clothing
  • Mirror Hair

Note: dForce hair and strand-based hair are not supported

The RSE Mirror Geometry for Genesis 9 is also a merchant resource! If you are the creator of the original items, you can easily create mirrored versions for your sets and sell them!

Comments

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,309

I bought this so fast it didn't know what happened!  Can't wait to put it to good use!

• An awesome product! Strainght into the cart.

• Gogger said:

I bought this so fast it didn't know what happened!  Can't wait to put it to good use!

Thank you for the support!  I hope you love it. smiley

• Protozoon said:

An awesome product! Strainght into the cart.

Thank you so much! smiley

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

The product script file to open the Mirror Geometry PDF manual opens the Genesis 8 version, not the Genesis 9 version.

I first converted HY Bob Hair from G8F to Genesis 9 with your hair converter. It worked well. Then I tried to mirror it with Mirror Geometry. Mirror Geometry went through the motions and created the file, but it is not mirrored. I successfully mirrored another hair that I first converted from G8F. HY Bob Hair is a pretty simple looking polygonal hair. Why won't it mirror? The working OBJ is not mirrored.

This is the log file:

02:59:43 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Adding Files...
    02:59:43 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Adding "Follower/Hair" file: N:\DAZ 3D\Studio\Converted Hair Library\People\Genesis 9\Hair\HY Bob Hair\HY Bob Hair (G9).duf
    02:59:46 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Executing Script
    02:59:46 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Selecting Preset: N:\DAZ 3D\Studio\Converted Hair Library\People\Genesis 9\Hair\HY Bob Hair\HY Bob Hair (G9).duf
    02:59:46 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Input Filename does not have "clothing" in its path: N:\DAZ 3D\Studio\Converted Hair Library\People\Genesis 9\Hair\HY Bob Hair\HY Bob Hair (G9).duf
    02:59:46 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Input Filename does not have "accessories" in its path: N:\DAZ 3D\Studio\Converted Hair Library\People\Genesis 9\Hair\HY Bob Hair\HY Bob Hair (G9).duf
    02:59:46 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Input Filename does not have "props" in its path: N:\DAZ 3D\Studio\Converted Hair Library\People\Genesis 9\Hair\HY Bob Hair\HY Bob Hair (G9).duf
    02:59:46 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Converting item from N:\DAZ 3D\Studio\Converted Hair Library\People\Genesis 9\Hair\HY Bob Hair\HY Bob Hair (G9).duf to N:/DAZ 3D/Studio/Converted Hair Library/People/Genesis 9/Hair/HY Bob Hair/HY Bob Hair (G9) M.duf
    02:59:50 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): HY Bob Hair G9 is of type Follower/Hair
    03:00:18 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Copy Icons from N:\DAZ 3D\Studio\Converted Hair Library\People\Genesis 9\Hair\HY Bob Hair\HY Bob Hair (G9).duf to N:/DAZ 3D/Studio/Converted Hair Library/People/Genesis 9/Hair/HY Bob Hair/HY Bob Hair (G9) M.duf
    03:00:18 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Copy Categories from N:\DAZ 3D\Studio\Converted Hair Library\People\Genesis 9\Hair\HY Bob Hair\HY Bob Hair (G9).duf to N:/DAZ 3D/Studio/Converted Hair Library/People/Genesis 9/Hair/HY Bob Hair/HY Bob Hair (G9) M.duf
    03:00:19 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Execution Complete.
  • barbult said:

The product script file to open the Mirror Geometry PDF manual opens the Genesis 8 version, not the Genesis 9 version.

Thank you for reporting that.

• eshaesha Posts: 3,227

barbult said:

I first converted HY Bob Hair from G8F to Genesis 9 with your hair converter. It worked well. Then I tried to mirror it with Mirror Geometry. Mirror Geometry went through the motions and created the file, but it is not mirrored. I successfully mirrored another hair that I first converted from G8F. HY Bob Hair is a pretty simple looking polygonal hair. Why won't it mirror? The working OBJ is not mirrored.

I had this happen once but can't say what was the cause. Closing and re-starting DS solved the issue for me.
    Have you tried converting this hair more than once?

edited October 2023

I tried 3 times by following the instructions to delete the data files and start with a new scene, but I did not restart Daz Studio. I will try that, thanks.

No, rebooting the computer (was shutdown and unplugged overnight because of severe thunderstorms), starting a new scene, previous mirror file and data deleted, still didn't work to mirror this hair.

I did overcome the problem manually, by exporting the hair at base resolution, no hair morphs active and inverting the X axis on export. That created a properly mirrored OBJ. I put that OBJ in the Mirror Geometry Working folder and selected it instead of the one created by Mirror Geometry when I tried the script again. That worked, so now I have my mirrored hair, but the reason for the original failure is still a mystery.

Maybe this process will help someone else if they run into this issue.

Screenshot 2023-10-01 160225.jpg
    498 x 233 - 32K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited October 2023

Here's my mirrored HY Bob Hair. esha might recognize her fluffy rug.

G9 GU HY Bob Hair Mirrored_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 4M
  • eshaesha Posts: 3,227

Hi barbult, clever solution! yes

I don't have that particular hair (and I don't buy G8 hair anymore). Is there anything special about this hair or setup, like a hair cap? Does it parent and fit correctly to G9 when you load it?
    If it's not parented or fitted, it will not be mirrored along the X axis. That's the only reason I can think of right now why the mirroring didn't work.

edited October 2023

esha said:

Hi barbult, clever solution! yes

I don't have that particular hair (and I don't buy G8 hair anymore). Is there anything special about this hair or setup, like a hair cap? Does it parent and fit correctly to G9 when you load it?
    If it's not parented or fitted, it will not be mirrored along the X axis. That's the only reason I can think of right now why the mirroring didn't work.

I don't see anything special or unusual about it. It doesn't have a hair cap. It loads fit to and parented to Genesis 9. I wouldn't expect you to buy old G8 hair to test this. Even though I worked around the problem, I hate to let a technical mystery go unsolved. I am going to create a new output folder and start again, first doing the conversion to G9 and then the mirroring. Maybe I did something last time that caused the problem.

Edit: Before I did that, I decided to mirror the G8 hair first (I own the G8 version of the mirror tool, too) and then convert the mirrored hair to G9. That worked fine.

Edit 2: I redid the conversion to G9 followed by the mirroring with a new output directory. The converted hair still did not mirror. I guess I have to give up. I have two different workarounds, so I will use those if I run into this trouble again.

• What are some practical uses for Mirror Geometry? Does it save time and effort? If so please explain.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982

JonnyBravo2010 said:

What are some practical uses for Mirror Geometry? Does it save time and effort? If so please explain.

I am thinking the same thing, not sure what practical uses there are for it.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635
    edited March 28

Ghosty12 said:

JonnyBravo2010 said:

What are some practical uses for Mirror Geometry? Does it save time and effort? If so please explain.

1) You have an outfit with a shoulder pad on the left but not the right and you want it the other way round.

2) You have a hair with a left parting and you want a right parting (without wanting to flip the whole image)

3) You have a set of pants with one long leg and one short and want them flipped

4) You have an asymmetrical hat you want the other way round

etc.

The promo pictures give a pretty good overview of some use cases: https://www.daz3d.com/mirror-geometry

Post edited by Silent Winter on
  • RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,371
    edited March 26

Silent Winter said:

Ghosty12 said:

JonnyBravo2010 said:

1) You have an outfit with a shoulder pad on the left but not the right and you want it the other way round.

2) You have a hair with a left parting and you want a right parting (without wanting to flip the whole image)

3) You have a set of pants with one long leg and one short and want them flipped

etc.

The promo pictures give a pretty good overview of some use cases: https://www.daz3d.com/mirror-geometry ;

Thanks for the help @Silent Winter.  Your link had extra characters though: https://www.daz3d.com/mirror-geometry

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • @ Silent Winter, thank you. I appreciate your feedback.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635
    edited March 28

RiverSoft Art said:

Silent Winter said:

Ghosty12 said:

JonnyBravo2010 said:

etc.

The promo pictures give a pretty good overview of some use cases: https://www.daz3d.com/mirror-geometry ;

Thanks for the help @Silent Winter.  Your link had extra characters though: https://www.daz3d.com/mirror-geometry

No worries. And Doh! I don't know why the forum does that - I paste the link, but if I hit space instead of just enter, it adds the semi-colon in the text, and then in the link there appears all the %c&A% stuff

JonnyBravo2010 - You're welcome :) 

Post edited by Silent Winter on