Let's Make Clothing - The Sequel!

Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,019
edited October 2023 in Freebies

Update: Zips were moved over to Rendersity to pair up with the Tutorial.

It's about time ;-)

Tutorials are WIP [work in progress]

First tutorial will introduce the concept of using GeoShells for clothing items. Rather than having to paste clothing onto actual skin textures, we can make use of GeoShells. Of course this presents its own group of challenges but once one gets the swing of it, more options are available for the wardrobe(s) of your favourite characters.

Decided to make available some different Templates for some of the figures. To work with GeoShells, one needs to be aware of the 'group' as well as the material zone, that the clothing will be on. So these packages will have 2 folders in them: one for the normal mat templates, the other for the groups.

Will attempt attaching a zip. Yes! [remember to right-click and name the download as appropriate]

1st zip is for G8.1 Female.

Promo.png
2510 x 1351 - 1M
Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,019
    edited October 2023

And the same now for Genesis 9, and Genesis 8 Female.

Promo G9.png
    2560 x 1394 - 741K
    promo G8F.png
    2560 x 1394 - 807K
    edited October 2023

Part one has been uploaded to Renderosity. Should be available sometime this week.  {It's live!}

In the tutorial we cover an introduction to 'skin clothing' [incl. the making of another uvmap].

The slacks in this image is 'skin clothing' -- no pJCMs, yeah! :-)

Let's Make Clothing promo.png
    857 x 1000 - 1M
    The Sequel.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    edited October 2023

I edited the text in the description area so it's back in the pending approval basket. All should be available as soon as.

Adiós

eta: Both items now available.

• riuken1riuken1 Posts: 128
    edited October 2023

The sequel just like the movies,jajaja. Thanks for the tutorial.

Post edited by riuken1 on
  • You're quite welcome :-)

• Working on the next section -- making a long skirt.

If this goes on sale might want to grab a copy:

https://www.daz3d.com/pjcm-poses--for-clothing-creators-for-genesis-8

It's very helpful, does not do the work but provides the poses one needs to accomodate. DarkEdgeDesign  also provides a video tutorial with the product :-)

• That is actually already in my wishlist.. Regards, Richard.
  • Finally, have the images for Part 2 now in the editing basket. In it we use one method for making a long skirt.

By the way for those who like to have thicker clothing {not recommended for many projects} the Thickener plugin script works very quickly and does not lose the uvmap :-)

edited October 2023

My eyes can no longer read this thing so hopefully there are few if any typos, etc. "as is" Sequel 2 is now uploaded and live to download from Renderosity.

Hopefully all seeking some knowledge on the topic will find something helpful in it. It touches on several tips along the journey for making a long skirt.

Promo.png
    857 x 1000 - 698K
    edited November 2023

Just starting a couple of tutorials which will take me some time to complete however while it is still free, you might like to take a brief stop over at the 3dscanstore. Upper right hand corner there is a word "Free" - from there a little drop down menu. Snag the free headscan. The download includes an .obj file and textures. Those are the main items that I will be using in one of the walk through projects. The rest of the files you can do with as you please of course.

They also have a couple of other free downloads which may be of interest.

The other tutorial is about making a top. Thought I'd attempt explaining a few things about the free mesh that was made in Marvellous Designer, samples of which are available scattered over at ArtStation. The big thing in selecting is to be sure the description actually states "Genesis 8" etc. or it will not. They have some other avatars that some are modelling for. If you pay money for any of these models - do be sure to check them for fit within 7 days as some vendors are rather tight about that. [normally the grace period is about a month if I recall correctly] {of course if you have M.D. and the scene file is included I suspect you can reshape the mesh easily there}

Update: the images are in the editing basket for the next tutorial for a shirt! The example used is of a free one that is available at ArtStation. While it was not made for G8F, many of the objects from Marvellous Designer share the same signature issues with regards to turning them into fully functioning clothing items. Nothing all that difficult, just to be patient as there are no 'one click solves all problems' solutions.

edited November 2023

Sequel 3 has been uploaded to Renderosity :-)

See the notes and readme for link information etc.

It is a walk through project taking an existing .obj for a woman's shirt for a different figure; and making it into a shirt clothing piece for G8F.

It is not exhaustive but is a guide which hopefully makes enough sense that all who want to can glean some useful tips from it.

Sequel 3.png
    857 x 1000 - 307K