Can a vendor make known musical instrument brands?

I met a vendor that is selling EXACT 3D replicas of known equipment. I think I've only seen Daz vendors do an approximation or 'similar looking synthesizer".

But I mean an exact replica and if possible to include the real name/logo on the instrument.

Do we know the Daz policy on making real-world products?

I'd like an MPC for the studio products- and really be able to buy gear (synths, drum machines, controllers, MIDI devices, Guitars, etc) without always buying a studio room.

Anyone have any ideas?

Or would a workaround be to buy the bodyshape here and get the custom skin to complete the work- someplace else????

Asking for a friend.

Comments

• The vendor probably shouldn't be doing that, if it was accepted at Daz item would have to be an Editorial License I would think.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

I can ask. But I know we have approximations. 

I'd really like daz to pick up an instrument maker.

I think about how almost EVERYTHING should be available in 3D- and if Daz is the world leader, I'd love to see the full variety of items on offer.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744
    edited October 2023

Griffin Avid said:

I met a vendor that is selling EXACT 3D replicas of known equipment.

If that vendor does not have written license agreement with the musical instrument manufacturer,  then that vendor is likely infringing on the original manufaturer's intellectual property rights.  Whether it is a company like Yamaha, or Korg, or Gibson, they have inherent and documented rights to their designs and logos. 

There are strict rules for trademark protection,  patent protection, industrial design protection and copyright protection.  Daz follows these rules.  Most vendors follow these rules.  They can make a guitar,  but they are restricted from making an accurate reproduction of a Gibson Stratocaster Guitar. 

The question is, does it pay to get a license from the manufacturer to make these authentic reproductions?   The math on that,  would suggest not. 

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Thank you for responding. 

Yeah, that'd be like asking to be the "Official modeler of..."

I wonder if, overall, it was about the intent....as artists are making ARTWORK featuring your product and not impacting the hardware sales.

Or if imaging and branding could be impacted by seeing company logo out of context...

I can use the images of the actual hardware anyway I like...but the model used to make the picture...

Sorta like Daz Studio licenses.....

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,874

FirstBastion said:

Griffin Avid said:

I met a vendor that is selling EXACT 3D replicas of known equipment.

They can make a guitar,  but they are restricted from making an accurate reproduction of a Gibson Stratocaster Guitar. 

That would be a tough reproduction given that Gibson doesn't make Stratocasters.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744
    edited October 2023

Gordig said:

That would be a tough reproduction given that Gibson doesn't make Stratocasters.

Yes, you are absolutely right,  but they did try...  https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/articles/features/weird_guitars_the_story_of_gibsons_hendrix_stratocaster-126637

Post edited by FirstBastion on