Spline Objects - How do you put a hole in one? [SOLVED]

MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
edited October 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all,

I am having a total brain freeze!  I have drawn a spline object and drew a couple circles inside of it, but can't remember how to make those circles cut holes in the main shape.  I know I have done this before (I made a bunch of gears this way a couple months ago) but can't remember how.  I thought you just selected them all and grouped them and anything inside another object would make a hole, but it doesn't seem to be working!

See the attached image for what I have now - I am trying to use the circles to cut four holes in the fin shape.

Thanks!

Mark

SplineWithHoles.JPG
1865 x 939 - 344K
Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

Comments

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

Nevermind - I opened up an old object I did this on and figured it out.

In case anyone wants to know how to do this, it had nothing to do with grouping the shapes; you select them all and then go to Arrange->Combine as Compound.

• I was going to let you know about the Combine as Compound, then saw you had it solved!
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

I tried dropping a very dense upside down cone on a slim spline object with density set very low, but it did not put a hole in it.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2015
    diomede said:

I tried dropping a very dense upside down cone on a slim spline object with density set very low, but it did not put a hole in it.

I didn't even think of a cone - but I did once try dropping a bulldozer on a flat spline object - unfortunately it just shattered.  Maybe if we combine them and place the cone, then drop the bulldozer on it... cheeky

Shattered Spline

ShatteredSpline.jpg
    640 x 480 - 27K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

.laughyes

• I dumped a bunch of spline torusi and they just bounced.

• I dumped a bunch of spline torusi and they just bounced.

Is it weird how fascinated I was by that one last tire, just watching it wobble a little...will it fall, or won't it?!

• It's a stupid little experiment, but it is kind of fun to watch, if for no other reason to see if that last tire ever falls over- No spoilers! ;-)