Victoria 7 vs HD

I just bought the HD add on for Victoria 7 and I tried to do a comparison render but I don't see a difference. I loaded V7 as one model and then loaded V7HD as a second model, put them close together, zoomed way in and did a test render. They look the same. Are there any other steps (parameters or settings) I should be doing? Thanks in advance.

v7-comparison.jpg
1039 x 1291 - 1M

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583

Are you rendering in Iray or 3delight?

• Iray. I haven't applied any materials to either figure. They are just the default figures with default textures.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583

Select the figure and go to the Parameters pane, under Mesh Resolution make sure Render SubD Level is set to 3.  3delight will automatically increase the SubD level for HD morphs, Iray needs to be told.

• The Render SubD Level was set to 3 for the HD version. This morning I woke up thinking that maybe since I had both versions of the model loaded in the scene together, that maybe Daz was applying the same settings to each. 

So I tried something different. I loaded each version into a scene by themselves and I'm now confused in a new way...

If you load Victoria 7 in a scene, the HD settings are available to her in the Parameters Tab. So I did 4 renders:

• Victoria 7 with HD settings at 0%
    • Victoria 7 with HD settings at 100%
    • Victoria 7 HD with HD settings at 0%
    • Victoria 7 HD with HD settings at 100%

They all seem different and I don't know why (but at least I'm seeing differences). If you load all 4 images into Photoshop as one file with 4 layers and do some show/hide maneuvers, you'll see the slight differences. But for some reason I find that V7 with HD settings at 100% looks more detailed than V7 HD with HD settings at 100%. They all look awesome in their own way, but I feel like I'm seeing morph differences and not detail differences.

If I'm seeing this right, the HD version loads the HD options into Studio. So you don't need to load the HD version into your scene even though it's available as its own actor object. But if you do choose to use that actor over the normal Victoria 7 actor, there will be slightly different morphs applied to the G3 base figure.

Please enlighten me if I'm totally wrong about this.

victoria7-compare-01.jpg
    1005 x 722 - 172K
    victoria7-compare-02.jpg
    1005 x 722 - 169K
    victoria7-compare-04.jpg
    1005 x 722 - 172K
    victoria7-compare-03.jpg
    1005 x 722 - 173K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,571
    edited November 2015

V7 HD is just V7 with the HD morphs on - HD isn't a separate figure, it's the saem figure with the postiion of soenm of the vertices created by the SubD process moved. It may be that the V7 HD preset is loading with more than just the base shape and HD applied. Edit: the Render SubD level is only 2 for V7, 3 for V7 HD - did you adjust the base to match the HD preset?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • After doing this again with the Render SubD level set to 2 on both and making sure they both have HD settings at 100%, I still see a slight difference. I appreciate everyone's help. Maybe this is a bug or maybe there is some other small setting I don't know about.

As I'm slowly learning all the ins and outs of Daz Studio it does get frustrating and overwelming when you are presented with all these settings (software and models) and little documentation is provided.

victoria7-compare-05A.jpg
    1057 x 717 - 177K
    victoria7-compare-05B.jpg
    1057 x 717 - 196K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    TenTen71 said:

As I'm slowly learning all the ins and outs of Daz Studio it does get frustrating and overwelming when you are presented with all these settings (software and models) and little documentation is provided.

Completely understand that feeling! One thing you can do- in the DIM, the "i" button on the line with the product will take you to the ReadMe, if there is one. It will tell you where the files are located, and information on the product if there is any. The HD morphs, the vendors don't explain as it's not a new concept. It sounds like you got a variety of results and looking at it, other than what Richard told you, I don't know what else you could do. With HD, you'll normally see more details around the eyes and the lips, those are the first two things I check for and compare.