Pacific Rockfish won't load?

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited November 2015 in Carrara Discussion

trying to give the angelfish some company.  anyone else tried it?
http://www.daz3d.com/pacific-rockfish-collection

tried rebooting.  tried refresh files.

tried dragging from the content window. 
tried from File, Import menu.
Carrara gives me the unable to import message.  
i see rockfish in the instance tab, but there's no geometry.

tried import rockfish.obj  
obj import works, won't let me add shader. don't know how to import the cr2 information

was looking forward to some beautiful fishie renders. >.<

any help appreciated, Thanks!!

double checked file path to rockfish.obj was correct.

scap cant import pacific rockfish.JPG
786 x 715 - 78K
Fishies.jpg
640 x 358 - 32K
Post edited by Mistara on

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

duplicate is grayed out for the angelfish?

tried selecting "angelfish" , "model", "body1"

tried importing with convert skinning checked. deformers unchecked.

• It is listed for Studio. Is it a .duf file? Is there also a DSON version that you are attempting to load? Maybe that is the issue?

The reason the angelfish won't duplicate is because it is rigged. You cannot duplicate rigged figures unless you get a plugin by Fenric. I don't have it, so I forget what the name of the plugin is.

The angelfish isn't that heavy on the resources. You could load another one or two from your Content browser, pose them each differently, and then stick them in a replicator and have a nice school of fish.

it's an ancient poser product.  like .rsr old

learned this week, not to take compatibility for granted. >.<  need to learn how to fix stuff

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2015
    MistyMist said:

it's an ancient poser product.  like .rsr old

learned this week, not to take compatibility for granted. >.<  need to learn how to fix stuff

Yeah - SKU #1610 - that is old. surprise

On the other hand, I have some even older fishies that work fine in both Studio and Carrara, like these: http://www.daz3d.com/lionfish and http://www.daz3d.com/bass that I have all used recently and the angelfish you are already using is older too, so age alone isn't a good predictor of compatibility.  Still, good to know that the rockfish collection doesn't work - I've had it on my wishlist for a long time, guess I'll remove it.sad

You said the .OBJ loads but won't let you add textures?  Is it just totally missing UV's so the maps don't work or is it giving you some sort of weird error when you select it and try to go to the texture room?

Does it load in Studio?  Maybe you can load it there and resave it or export it and then load it in Carrara?

If DAZ isn't interested in fixing an old product like this (which is weird since they are still selling it for $25!), you could try messaging the vendor directly and see if they can help? Maybe they've still got the old files somewhere and can provide you with a UV mapped .OBJ at least?  Worth a try maybe.  EDIT TO ADD: nevermind - blondie9999 doesn't seem to have a forum account under their vendor name, so I guess that option is out, unless there is a readme with a contact email somewhere.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

oo forgot lionfish. thanks.  think i haz sea turtle also.

mebbe need one of those mtl files for rockfish,obj

• modelling fish is not hard

are pretty flat you can trace them out in Vertex Modeller from photos, look on Wikipedia for some

subdivide and triangulate duplicate and soft select middles and pull out, weld edges

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

The sea turtle works fine -- I did this render for a compo earlier this year:

BirthOfWorlds.jpg
    1836 x 1080 - 1M

have you tried octopus, any chance?  https://www.daz3d.com/octopus

is pricey to gamble it will work.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

No I haven't, but don't forget Daz offers a 30-day no-questions refund.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

It is very old, and very basic compared to todays models.

pricey doesnt equal quality?  lol  

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited November 2015

I bought that Octopus earlier in the year and it was awful!!  I didn't know I could return it because I thought it was cartoony and also awkward, and I mean awkward to pose, I thought it had to be defective or something. It was also so  fake looking..... bleagh!  no 

Bijan has a clownfish on Renderosity.... he sells terrains on DAZ, but not other models.

frown SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

The octopus doesn't pose in Carrara.. well it does but crikey it looks like crap..

The Content Paradise one works though in Carrara, you just have to make a cuppa after applying a pose as it takes that long to do.. ( on my PC it does )

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2015

Oops - wasted post, sorry.

I was going to post an image I did with the Octopus, then I realized I did it in Studio, not Carrara.  As said above, it does work in Carrara, but you need to add a level of smoothing and completely redo the textures and it is hard to pose.  It might work OK if it is not front and center in the image - even in the studio one I did, I hid it in shadow and behind some bubbles.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

thank you.!! saved me moola and aggravation :)

i forget the ef critters. iirc was a jellyfish

edited November 2015

Terror of the deep jellyfish seems to work okay.  

some replicator fun. the replicants follow the main jelly's dance moves.  should be some fun

quexi needs a rara pose set >.<

jelly repl2.png
    1200 x 598 - 933K
    jellyrepl.png
    1200 x 598 - 694K
    quexi2.png
    1200 x 598 - 939K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • For those having trouble loading fish from the Pacific Rockfish Collection:  They have been on my wishlist for a long time, but at $25, I stayed clear.  Last weekend, however, they briefly dropped to $2.00, so I snagged them! smiley   Unfortunately, the INFO button in the Daz Install Manager reports "Page Not Found" for this product.   It took quite while to find the Rockfish in Daz Studio 4.12, but Install Manager put everything in the Content Library - Products folder - P folder - Pacific Rockfish collection.  The only icon that loads a fish, is the one labelled "Rockfish".  After loading it you can you can click on the other icons to change the type of fish.  You can also pose them using the icons labelled Feed, Swim1, Swim2, Turnleft and Turnright.  There are also some manual pose controls in the Parameters settings.

Note that you can also load the default fish via File - Import C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Libraries\Character\Animals\Rockfish.cr2 .  (I tried that before figuring out how the poorly labelled icons work.)    wink

I'm now busy adding the Rockfish to an underwater scene with a merman.

kewl!  thanks.