weighting the bones

hi everybody!!  I have a very naive question, but...   I have tried to  rig characters, very simple characters, re topologized in zbrush, very light polys...  I never get a really convincing rig... painting the weight, there is always a part wich tear the shape... well, not when rigging a cylinder, but a little more complicated, I never get a succesful rigged character... OK, animation is sometghing I do sometimes, and so I don't have a lot of practice...  and i suppose that Victoria 4 or Michael, and so on, are rigged in carrara, and they work pêrfectly...

so, waht is the secret?? or, at less, a path to try again??? in C 8,5 pro, there is only one option: the brush to paint weight, and it's very rough, I think...

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited November 2015

http://www.evilinnocence.com/xd-pose-fix-tutorial/.   Might help but you need poser

Post edited by Headwax on
  • You can run into those ripped looks if the underlying mesh is not dense enough to support the amount of distortion when the figure is bent. It's hard to say for sure if that is the problem you are having without seeing a screen capture of the figure's mesh, the weight painting for the joint, and of course, the distorted area.
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

When you're weight painting , you're effecting the bone influence over the "Vertices" of the mesh, ..so if yout model is Very light on poly's , you can see unwanted deformation at joints since there's not enough vertices to allow a smooth bend.

You can add more edge loops around the joint area's which bend acutely, (elbows and knees) which should let you paint better weights for those areas.

Hope it helps