Best method for making plugins

So I'm up and running on VS Community.

Just wondering about the work flow.

Like say I am making a layout and I want to see what it looks like, is it a case of restarting Daz Studio each time you make a change to see what it's like ?

Or is there some way to see your changes as you make them ?

C++ is new to me, so pardon my ignorance.

Comments

• surrealsurreal Posts: 155

I don't have a great deal of history with Daz Studio (DS) but my experience is that you will get an error if you try to overwrite/update a loaded dll while DS has it loaded (even if you uncheck it in INSTALLED PLUGINS).  Once a program loads(starts using a dll) you generally have to close the program to get it to release the dll so that you can change the dll. There is no hup function that I am aware of in DS.

There are a few other programs that handle plugins differently where you can simply deactivate a plugin to free it. But not DS, unless you build your plugin/dll to talk to a remote service with connect/disconnect functionality. Even then it is always safest to close and restart so that you are sure everything is reset and initialised to expected values.

• Yep - I found out that I couldn't write the file when Daz was open.

Happily for me I just got an M.2 SSD so things start up pretty quick now.

I'll see how I get on, thanks again :)

• Yes you have to keep opening and closing daz when making plugins... Try using a ramdisk!!!

• So... has anyone written an unplug-DLL plug-in yet?

(and does it work on itself?  wink)