Which to install: DS or PS product version

When you purchase DAZ products that are delivered as separate DS and PS installs, should I be just be installing the PS one for use in Carrara?  I'm guessing the PS version is more compatible with Carrara's shaders and architecture? 

Also like to save disk space, if I don't need both. 

Thanks

- Don

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

I always use the Poser version, saving each Runtime in a separate folder on a dedicated external drive, then adding it to Carrara's browser as needed.  I have had trouble with DUF files in Carrara, and avoid them.  Since most new products at DAZ no longer come wih Poser versions, I mostly shop elsewhere now.

• My use of Carrara 8.5 is at a standstill right now (no computer capable of running it), but when I did use it, I had no problems with loading the .duf stuff. Then again, I really didn't have a lot of the modern stuff.

Here is what I observed, is that the newer products for Poser used the DSON importer thing, which should be listed on the product page. Trying to load the newer Poser stuff caused problems with Carrara, so if the product was Studio native, in the .duf format, and had a Poser version, I tended to go with the Studio version so as to avoid confusion. If it was an older product, which didn't list the Poser DSON importer in the product description, then I would install the Poser version and not the D/S version.

That was my own way of doing it, so your mileage may vary. There may be better and more efficient ways of doing it.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I think it may well depend what kind of thing you're installing. Genesis/G2 figures and clothes are .duf native and generally have no Poser version ("Poser Companion Files" are just .duf loader scripts and are pointless to Carrara). Apart from where features are not supported (HD morphs etc), I've never experienced a problem.

When it comes to props and scenes, the only times I've found it to make a difference is if the .duf uses features that Carrara doesn't support (e.g. Instances). The file will open -- eventually, it seems to take forever -- but the instanced objects won't show. Generally these files don't have a Poser version, since Poser doesn't support instances either. Where there's both versions, I've always found it to be swings and roundabouts. Yes the shaders look slightly different, and you may prefer one over the other, but they all still need adjusting.

In all instances, don't bother opening/installing a PCF version

I don't know about really old (pre .duf) stuff, since I don't have any. DSON has always worked fine (with the caveat of unsupported features).

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

I install both ( on a seperate HDD to my OS ) plenty of room..

I find by doing that I can check to see which works the best.. It's not unusual for me to use parts from both to get the item working but the majority of the time the DUF file works for me with adjustments.. Some of the latest Poser stuff ( last few years ) doesn't work in the way of morphs & poses and have to be manually done and some of the Poser files take forever if never to load!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

for like the old pc 1.99 stuff, i use ps version.

mostly cuz duf stuff shows bones wires

• DondecDondec Posts: 243

Good observations and tips.   Thank you all very much.

- Don

• 3DMD3DMD Posts: 18

I also install both PS and PS. In Carrara 8.5, under the smart content tab, I can't even see most of the DS conten, but it's all there under the Ps tabs. So I just find it easier to us PS. Also helps to have Poser Pro 10. (or 11).

• DondecDondec Posts: 243

Like others here 3DMD I've got separate Runtimes installed for different things and it still can be a challenge to find relatied items no mater how organized you are.  I've been using a database management package called PzDB 1.3  thats perfect for my needs.. Multi Keyword search, shows pics of everything including full file path names, search by category, author, whatever you want..  Inexpensive, helpful and fast.   Hope this helps

- Don