Script for fast exit of DAZ Studio

weird-grafxweird-grafx Posts: 44
edited December 2023 in Freebies

Hi there,

this is the first time I share a script here, so I hope it will be useful for some DAZ users.

Are you just as annoyed by how long Daz Studio takes to exit as I am? Then this little script is for you.

With the script I'm able to exit a larger DAZ Scene in about 2 minutes, where the standard exit takes more then 6 minutes.

How is this possible?
it looks to me that deleting individual objects in the scene one by one is faster than deleting them all at once. This is what my script does. It identifies all root objects in the scene and deletes them one by one.

I could imagine that it could be even more improved by recursively deleting objects, but my scipting capabilities need to improve first.

Have fun with it and let me know what You think.

Weird-Grafx

-----------------------------------------------------

Updated the script to V1.2
-added dialog for saving scene before exit (thanks for the hint to crosswind)
-added a progressbar to see the progress of deleting the rootnodes

zip
zip
ExitDAZ.zip
Post edited by weird-grafx on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

Personally, I suggest you first check undo stack before clearing and close DS in the script so as to necessarily remind users of saving the scene first... otherwise it'll be a disaster if a user forgets to save before pressing a shortcut to your script...

• crosswind said:

Personally, I suggest you first check undo stack before clearing and close DS in the script so as to necessarily remind users of saving the scene first... otherwise it'll be a disaster if a user forgets to save before pressing a shortcut to your script...

Thanks for the hints. 

• My question is? Why sould you need a script for something that seems to be a bug in buggy software. LOL

Thanks for sharing your hard work.

• Silver Dolphin said:

My question is? Why sould you need a script for something that seems to be a bug in buggy software. LOL

You're totally right. Maybe DAZ will recognize it finally and fix it in the right place. I would be glad if no script is required. 

• Silver Dolphin said:

My question is? Why sould you need a script for something that seems to be a bug in buggy software. LOL

A bug is soemthing not working as intended, while "slow shutdown" isn't the intent "clean shutdown" is. Don't forget that DS amkes a lot of use of plug-ins (even for core features) - I don't know if that is what requires the extra steps during the shutdown process, as each has to exit cleanly.

• Any Changes you've made to the UI probably wont be saved either

• JpegerJpeger Posts: 24

I just kill the process. For 4-5 years I've been doing this with no side effects.

Now, disclaimer: This works for me and my set-up, and I'm not recommending it. I'm just reporting I've had -0- adverse reactions from it other than starting from the same content directory each time.

• Not sure if it was my script that motivated the DAZ developers, but with the latest release 4.22.015, it looks like DAZ Studio on exite is doing built-in what my script did. Maybe even better.

So no need to use it anymore, if You use this version.

Thank You DAZ for adressing this finally!

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395

i guess this was adressing closing DS in a normal case, as in, after dumping or saving a scene, a normal quit.
    personally, i never really noticed the slow shutdown or it didn't bug me.

HOWEVER, what makes my life hell (obviously due to the fact that my laptop is an old lame piece of garbage), is the way DS hogs all resources when it renders (or lags in a scene, especially with iray viewport, which i don't use much cuz way too slow), is that WHEN I WANT TO BREAK UP A RENDER, IT TAKES AN ETERNITY. i'd rather quit DS alltogether and start it again (i usually save before i render in case of recurrent freeze/crash situations) than wait for the render process to finally stop, with my laptop ignoring every single command...

so this here wouldn't be helpful either, right?

• manekiNeko said:

i guess this was adressing closing DS in a normal case, as in, after dumping or saving a scene, a normal quit.

HOWEVER, what makes my life hell (obviously due to the fact that my laptop is an old lame piece of garbage), is the way DS hogs all resources when it renders (or lags in a scene, especially with iray viewport, which i don't use much cuz way too slow), is that WHEN I WANT TO BREAK UP A RENDER, IT TAKES AN ETERNITY. i'd rather quit DS alltogether and start it again (i usually save before i render in case of recurrent freeze/crash situations) than wait for the render process to finally stop, with my laptop ignoring every single command...

No, this script won't help with this kind of problem and a I said, with the latest version of DAZ it's not anymore. Sorry.  

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395

weird-grafx said:

manekiNeko said:

No, this script won't help with this kind of problem and a I said, with the latest version of DAZ it's not anymore. Sorry.  

ok, thx anyway for the reply ^^