Biblical high priest

I’m not an artist of any sort and not that skilled with DS. I’m a scholar/educator working on a project where I need a lot of illustrations of biblical-era scenes (not specific stories). Here’s my best attempt so far at the biblical high priest Aaron in his priestly vestments. I haven’t tried posing him … I think I’ll need to do a lot of tweaking when that time comes, but I only need him for a few scenes. I think he will probably be the most complex character in the project. Helpful suggestions and constructive criticism desired! For reference see https://brill.com/view/journals/jsj/52/3/article-p359_3.xml?ebody=figures. Sorry the render is a little dark.

If you see ways to improve the character, please make suggestions! Most artists’ conceptions show the stones on the shoulders as rectangles, so I may try to replace those. I know he needs sandals. There are supposed to be inscriptions on all the stones and on the gold circlet, which I’ll add in Photoshop after rendering whatever scenes he’s in (if the gems are large enough to make that effort worthwhile).

High Priest Aaron Concept 1.png
830 x 1160 - 856K

Comments

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833
    edited December 2023

Apologies to all and to Mods.  The pictures in my posts following seem to be disappearing.  I will try to edit them back in.

Hi cheard, nice work and thanks for the link.

On and off, I too wish to create Biblical scenes but have not put too much effort into it yet.  My biggest ambition for this interest (which is one of many, unfortunately) would be to put together half-decent illustrations/renders but also to create physical 3d models of certain scenes based on the renders.  There is nothing commercial intended.

I have some references (children's bibles!) for clothing and will mostly rely on such modelling/sculpting skills that I have for the other scene assets.

I have made a few attempts to learn the use of Marvelous Designer for simple clothes-making.  (MD can make the most complex garments imagineable but what I do will be clumsy, simple stuff).

The latest workflow I've tried out in the past couple of days is to use Genesis2, which I can use in both DAZ Studio and Poser.

My test piece was to Shape Genesis2 Male slightly and to export for use as an Avatar in Marvelous Designer.  There I made the simplest of robes which I exported as an OBJ file.

The pattern I made for the robe is extremely poor, but it made a robe to try out the concept.

Screenshot 2023-12-08 08.21.18.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 157K
    Post edited by Hermit Crab on
    edited December 2023

Next, I brought Genesis2 male up in Poser and clothed him with the robe.

I used Poser's Cloth room to carry out a clothing simulation.  (This is very easy to do for a simple use like mine).  G2Male was posed at thirt frames along the timeline and the cloth draped around him in that pose.

The only picture I have of this shows him after a cloth sim together with a final model of him in a different pose. (I will elaborete shortly)

Biblical.jpg
    1049 x 813 - 279K
    edited December 2023

My next stage is to export the model and draped cloth as an OBJ which I then load into 3d Coat.  This last program allows me to sculpt the model as though it was made of clay, so to speak.  Typically I would sculpt a hairstyle or a pattern on the cloth or make a base, so that it can be 3d printed.  Again, this is purely a private exercise.

That is what I showed in the Poser render above.

3dCoat has a cloth simulator.  The second piece of clothing draped on his arm was only a rectangle draped as cloth.

Here is an image of him in 3d Coat:

The colours are a bit off.  That model could be 3d printed if turned into Voxels within 3d Coat and the extra cloth given thickness.

edited for typo

Screenshot 2023-12-10 22.46.35.jpg
    692 x 920 - 37K
  • At this stage, I must acknowledge that I haven't offered anything in the way of comment or suggestions on the work you showed. Apologies if nothing I'm showing is helpful to you.  It is obvious that my attempts don't come close at all to what would pass for simple clothing of biblical times, but I am attempting a workflow (I have gone down a few avenues already).  I'm optimistic that, for my level of interest, I could embellish clothing using digital sculpting.

Once again, your work is certainly an impressive achievement.

Lastly, I'll offer a couple of shots from my Marvelous Designer beginner's efforts.  (I took out a subscription and, as people do with gym membership, never managed to find the time to learn.  It is a wonderful program but subscription-only now. (A free program called Jinny comes from the same company and Blender apparantly has at least one low-cost clothing plugin).

edited December 2023

Post deleted

edited December 2023

post deleted

edited December 2023

Apologies for the number of posts.

Here are some Marvelous Designer shots of my primitive attempts to use the program.

I like to use a wind force in MD for screenshots.

Screenshot 2023-12-10 21.54.23.jpg
    564 x 695 - 29K
    Screenshot 2023-12-10 22.03.26.jpg
    564 x 695 - 25K
    Screenshot 2023-12-10 22.08.50.jpg
    564 x 695 - 31K
    Screenshot 2023-12-10 22.09.59.jpg
    564 x 695 - 25K