Please let me see your most photorealistic render using only the sun-sky system or default hdri

CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
edited December 2023 in Art Studio

Please let me see your most photorealistic portrait render using only the sun-sky system or default hdri... without using purchased utilities like Render Studio or Click N Render etc. Built in DS lights or using primitives as lights is Ok.

Because of my lack of skills, no matter how I try using the sun-sky system or default hdri with built in DS lights or lights created from primitives, the renders just look... inferior I would say?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited December 2023

Portrait as in a person?

Can we put in a backdrop?

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • Moved to Art Studio

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    Oso3D said:

Portrait as in a person?

Can we put in a backdrop?

Yes to both questions.
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

Ok, here we go.

Note that one of the key elements of sun/sky is that you can change a lot of parameters.

In this case:

Environment map .5. This dims the backdrop a bit.

SS Sun Disk Intensity 10. This works out to 5x normal (with the environment map); I wanted a bright illumination.

SS Sun Disk Scale 16. This is 4x normal; this makes for softer lighting.

SS Horizon Blur 1. This turns a hard horizon line into a soft gradient.

SS Horizon Height .23. Just nudging it to where I want.

Dome Rotation 27.44. Moved the lighting more off to one side for DRAMA (jazz hands).

Sun/Sky is actually a quite flexible lighting system, particularly when other lights are added. If I was going to do a better portrait I'd probably do a tight spot for eye 'glint,' and a rimlight. But I wanted to show how serviceable it could be on its own.

Freja Sitting Sunsky.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Oso3D said:

Ok, here we go.

Note that one of the key elements of sun/sky is that you can change a lot of parameters.

In this case:

Environment map .5. This dims the backdrop a bit.

SS Sun Disk Intensity 10. This works out to 5x normal (with the environment map); I wanted a bright illumination.

SS Sun Disk Scale 16. This is 4x normal; this makes for softer lighting.

SS Horizon Blur 1. This turns a hard horizon line into a soft gradient.

SS Horizon Height .23. Just nudging it to where I want.

Dome Rotation 27.44. Moved the lighting more off to one side for DRAMA (jazz hands).

Sun/Sky is actually a quite flexible lighting system, particularly when other lights are added. If I was going to do a better portrait I'd probably do a tight spot for eye 'glint,' and a rimlight. But I wanted to show how serviceable it could be on its own.

Good tip about the disk scale!
  • David RDavid R Posts: 214

Not sure how PR this is, but...

Environment Mode - Sun-Sky only

Environment Intensity - 1.00

SS Lattitude - 28.24405

SS Longitude - (-82.71962)

SS Day - 7/10/2023

SS Time - 2:00 PM

SS Sun Disk Intensity  -1.00

SS Sun Disk Scale - 16.00

SS Sun Glow Intensity - 1.00

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,346
    edited December 2023

Rendered it just now,, approx. 150 iteration,  default hdri

babina-default-1stbastion.jpg
    750 x 1061 - 139K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,236

meh just use an HDRI from polyhaven 

lilweep said:

meh just use an HDRI from polyhaven 

I actually expected you to say this lol. This is so you.

Looks great! Did you change the toneapping settings?
    David R said:

Not sure how PR this is, but...

Environment Mode - Sun-Sky only

Environment Intensity - 1.00

SS Lattitude - 28.24405

SS Longitude - (-82.71962)

SS Day - 7/10/2023

SS Time - 2:00 PM

SS Sun Disk Intensity  -1.00

SS Sun Disk Scale - 16.00

SS Sun Glow Intensity - 1.00

Thanks! Increasing the sun disk scale is a good tip.
  • This thread inspired me to try using my 3 ghost light set up and disable the HDRI while using the Sun-Sky settings.

Some modest tinkering with various Environment settings gave me some nice results that I'm personally pleased with.

Thanks so much for the inspiration to experiment with this! :)

Lee

SunSkyGhostLightsNoHDRI-Test.jpg
    1391 x 1800 - 1M

This thread inspired me to try using my 3 ghost light set up and disable the HDRI while using the Sun-Sky settings.

Some modest tinkering with various Environment settings gave me some nice results that I'm personally pleased with.

Lee

Nice render, Lee! I always love your take on rendering male characters.
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,346
    edited December 2023

CHWT said:

FirstBastion said:

I set the ISO to 120.

I also used David R's settings listed above to do this Sun/Sky render.  Same 150 iteration so a bit grainy, but lighting wise it works.

sunskyonly-pinkhair-1stBastion.jpg
    750 x 1061 - 189K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on

CHWT said:

FirstBastion said:

I set the ISO to 120.

I also used David R's setting above to do this Sun/Sky render.  Same 150 iteration so a bit grainy. 

Got it thanx!
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,063

99 percent of my renders just use the default HDRI... if you check out my gallery you can see more of my artwork.  It is soooooooooooooooo easy to use... I just turn the ENVIRONMENT... DOME ROTATION... where I want the light to shine and waalaaa done...

if I want a more realisitic lighting I will bump up the LUMINANCE in the lightbulbs as in this image.  Super easy peasy.  ;)

• edited December 2023

HDRI with one spotlight and one point light. Promotional material for my new album release.

Beautiful_Sadness.png
    1134 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by short223_cda7b0323a on
  • CHWT said:

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

This thread inspired me to try using my 3 ghost light set up and disable the HDRI while using the Sun-Sky settings.

Lee

Nice render, Lee! I always love your take on rendering male characters.

Thank you so very much, CHWT! :)

Lee

99 percent of my renders just use the default HDRI... if you check out my gallery you can see more of my artwork.  It is soooooooooooooooo easy to use... I just turn the ENVIRONMENT... DOME ROTATION... where I want the light to shine and waalaaa done...

if I want a more realisitic lighting I will bump up the LUMINANCE in the lightbulbs as in this image.  Super easy peasy.  ;)

Cute renders! Do you make portraits with the default HDRI too?

HDRI with one spotlight and one point light. Promotional material for my new album release.

She looks ethereal! Was the default HDRI used in this portrait?

CHWT ... you asked... "Do you make portraits with the default HDRI too?"

Yes... You must be asking about human portraits... sorry I posted my furry couple... Here are a few human portraits... ENJOY!

This one was created for the Daz+ Inspiration Contest - March 16, 2022 - March 29, 2022.. and WON!

I create mostly portraiture artworks... I was a wedding photographer for 20 years and am now putting what I did with film into artworks.  I have loads more in my gallery (the linky is in my signature below)... or... click here... https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5888571185561600#gallery=album237&page=1 ... I try to post only my BEST works in my gallery (my opinion) so feel free to browze at your leisure.  I hope you enjoy the works I've posted there :) 

CHWT ... you asked... "Do you make portraits with the default HDRI too?"

Yes... You must be asking about human portraits... sorry I posted my furry couple... Here are a few human portraits... ENJOY!

This one was created for the Daz+ Inspiration Contest - March 16, 2022 - March 29, 2022.. and WON!

I create mostly portraiture artworks... I was a wedding photographer for 20 years and am now putting what I did with film into artworks.  I have loads more in my gallery (the linky is in my signature below)... or... click here... https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5888571185561600#gallery=album237&page=1 ... I try to post only my BEST works in my gallery (my opinion) so feel free to browze at your leisure.  I hope you enjoy the works I've posted there :) 

Love them !
  • Outdoor hdri that comes with DS with intensity bumped to 2.

Mime Portrait.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 311K
    Protozoon said:

Outdoor hdri that comes with DS with intensity bumped to 2.

Wow Protozoon I am impressed! Besides using camera DOF, did you change the tonemapping settings? (OT I have all of your products)
  • Llola Lane said:

May I ask which character figure  this is?  

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2023

Some lovely renders here, folks! I hope I'm allowed to comment as a non- IRay- user;) Just wondering why I see so much blur being used? I understand the concept of artistic freedom etc. but it has very little to do with actual photorealism, no? This was more of a general obsevation and absolutely not aimed at any particular user. I just find the topic intriguing, that's all:)

Llola Lane, the above portrait is absolutely stunning, sure is a winneryes

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • edited December 2023

CHWT said:

short223_cda7b0323a said:

She looks ethereal! Was the default HDRI used in this portrait?

It was either default or the Paper tiger set of HDRI lghts. Either way it shouldn't make too much difference as I used a special technique to control the light.
    Post edited by short223_cda7b0323a on
  • David RDavid R Posts: 214

Llola Lane said:

These are marvelous! 

edited December 2023

FirstBastion said:

Llola Lane said:

May I ask which character figure  this is?  

Yes you may :)  She is https://www.daz3d.com/sharon-hd-for-genesis-8-and-81-female ... What else I used is in my gallery linky if you wanna check it out... https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5888571185561600#gallery=album237&page=2&image=1288587

ENJOY!

Post edited by Llola Lane on
    edited December 2023

Sven Dullah said:

Some lovely renders here, folks! I hope I'm allowed to comment as a non- IRay- user;) Just wondering why I see so much blur being used? I understand the concept of artistic freedom etc. but it has very little to do with actual photorealism, no? This was more of a general obsevation and absolutely not aimed at any particular user. I just find the topic intriguing, that's all:)

Llola Lane, the above portrait is absolutely stunning, sure is a winneryes

Thank you... For me Sven... The blurr (DOF too) comes from my Wedding Photography background.  If I wanted to add a little romance to a photo or get rid of an ugly background I used to have a filter to blurr the edges and make the people POP!  We are talking 30-40 years ago when film was the only option for taking pictures... There was no photoshop back then.. no digital.  Well.. I wasn't computer savey back then... lol.  I really like the effect so to add a little umpffffffff to my artwork.. I do the same blurr effect (and DOF) on almost all of my portraits.  You will also notice that I add frames to all my portraits.  To me a portait isn't 'finished' til it has a frame around it :)  Hope this explaination helps you understand my artworks.  ENJOY!

Post edited by Llola Lane on