Best practice for importing poser light sets? (saunders tavern)

i'm playing with this set - http://www.daz3d.com/saunders-steampunk-tavern
poser lights not showing up in browser tray.  so i used the import option.
They came in as distant lights. 

can't figure out why it's darkness with all the lights in this set?

i see the edit, master light on menu.  seems to only work by light type.
Can i make 2 Master lights?  one for the ceiling lights and one for the wall lights
I don't see an insert master light on the create menu.

Thanks!

scap import poser lights.JPG
832 x 510 - 35K

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

gave up on the import poser lights.

changed all the lights to bulb.  turned off the scene ambient cuz it ruined the look of the wood texture.

there's no way to magically send a light or prop to the location of another prop or body part? tavern is a cr2. 

it's taking like 3 tries to attach a picture.

vila tavern.png
    1500 x 985 - 2M
    vila tavern.png
    1500 x 985 - 2M
    vila tavern.png
    1500 x 985 - 2M
  • If you save a zeroed out bulb to your object browser you can drag it to parts of your scene hierarchy but that depends where the hotpoints are for your  items, Jack Tomalins sets for example are notorious for having the hotpoints at 0,0,0 for everything regardless where it is in the scene, others it can vary wildly, finding the object center for each bit in motion may work if not rigged.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    MistyMist said:

gave up on the import poser lights.

Good. Poser lights are not compatible with Carrara, which is why the "Lights" portion of the runtime is hidden.

Sometimes it just seems like a bulb light makes the most sense. That's not always the case when it comes to creating a great look to a scene. Spot lights have a lot of versatility for angle and range falloff, which can be very useful for adding drama, even though you'll often need to spend more time thinking and placing... but it cxan end up looking much more artistic.

I use a lot of Light Linking. In this endeavor, I'll use some lights only for a specific effect, either in the scenery or the characters. Then I have to come back and add lights that affect both, so that I have shadows from the characters onto the scene and so on. But just illuminating a whole set like that will allow us to see it, but it most often ends up lacking any form of artistry or story. 

• For a nice fill light, drag a light of your choice and drop it on the camera you wish to render with. The light is now parented to the camera. For fill, I like a light set to 50% or so to start, and then I go up or down, depending on the scene. If you are rendering a figure that looks at the camera, it's a nice way to get a reflected highlight. See attached:
    A3 racing girl front.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 104K
    edited November 2015

tavern is a Nighshift set, crossing fingers isnt 000 hotpoints

trying lining up light with fixtures, but not blocked by fixtures.

Post edited by Mistara on

i tried making 2 groups, one with the wall lights, and one for the ceiling lights.

but i'm still having to shift-click each light in the group to edit, master light.

is there anyway to speed up workflow?  can i somehow select all the lights in the group without shift-clicking them all?

thanks smiley

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited November 2015
    MistyMist said:

i tried making 2 groups, one with the wall lights, and one for the ceiling lights.

but i'm still having to shift-click each light in the group to edit, master light.

is there anyway to speed up workflow?  can i somehow select all the lights in the group without shift-clicking them all?

thanks smiley

Yes. In the instances tray on the right, open the group and drag a selection around all of the lights. 

DragSelect.jpg
    242 x 106 - 35K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • If the lights are grouped, select the group, and then Master light.