Can I order a custom G8F hair to anyone?

feldarztfeldarzt Posts: 122
edited December 2023 in Art Studio

Hey guys,

I want to have a G8F hair that basically doesn't exist. At least, not as a whole. The hairs that I managed to find out there either don't have some parts that I need or plainly look like s%#t.

So... I'd like to, like, pay someone capable to make the hair in question for me. I mean, I'm okay with making my own clothing and armor, but hair is beyond my capabilities.

In a perfect world, I would contact outoftouch for this because they know their hair. But they seem to be unreachable, as in no contact info can be found. So, maybe there is someone else whom I could work with?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• You could post in Art Studio. Don't forget that a custom hair for you, especially if you want exclusive rights or the vendors don't think it will sell, will cose many times a hair model from the store.

• feldarztfeldarzt Posts: 122

Richard Haseltine said:

You could post in Art Studio.

Thanks for moving it to the proper section, Richard!

Richard Haseltine said:

Don't forget that a custom hair for you, especially if you want exclusive rights or the vendors don't think it will sell, will cose many times a hair model from the store.
    This is probably true, but the actual price remains to be seen. Maybe it will be acceptable, maybe not. But in any case, it's better to ask, get a few options, and see where this will lead.

No replies in a week or so? :'(
    Maybe it's the wrong forum section after all.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,603
    edited January 6

I don't think it's that - more that I am not sure this place is necessarily the best place to look for commisions. From what I have seen the PAs that post here usually all mention that they have a long list of things they are planning on making for the store and so are unlikely to have any spare time for making anything else. Plus taking on commisions is a different way of working and perhaps not something that most PAs would be interested in.

Oh, and also I think most PAs have also said that G9 is easier to work with and so the G8F requirement may also be a stumbling block.

Maybe if you post the details for the hair you want you may get lucky and someone will say that they have something similar in the works?

Post edited by SofaCitizen on

SofaCitizen said:

I don't think it's that - more that I am not sure this place is necessarily the best place to look for commisions. From what I have seen the PAs that post here usually all mention that they have a long list of things they are planning on making for the store and so are unlikely to have any spare time for making anything else. Plus taking on commisions is a different way of working and perhaps not something that most PAs would be interested in.

Sounds logical, but also painful in a way. Then again, it's usually a matter of "how much" and/or "I'm interested in your task". So I'm not losing hope yet.

Oh, and also I think most PAs have also said that G9 is easier to work with and so the G8F requirement may also be a stumbling block.

That may be, but I'm not ready to move to G9 in the nearest... IDK, a few years at least.

Maybe if you post the details for the hair you want you may get lucky and someone will say that they have something similar in the works?

You know, that's actually a great idea that I should have had myself :) Thanks! So the inexistent hair in question is basically a hi-quality (outoftouch like, give or take) classic Lara Croft hair with the long braid and that "slightly messy" front. Leony hair has the almost perfect front part, but... heck, I need that braid :)

feldarzt said:

That may be, but I'm not ready to move to G9 in the nearest... IDK, a few years at least.

I understand that. G8 was the current generation when I started and so most of my stuff is there. I am not against using stuff from one generation on the other but it doesn't always go so smoothly.

You know, that's actually a great idea that I should have had myself :) Thanks! So the inexistent hair in question is basically a hi-quality (outoftouch like, give or take) classic Lara Croft hair with the long braid and that "slightly messy" front. Leony hair has the almost perfect front part, but... heck, I need that braid :)

Ahh, well that doesn't sound like too much to ask then - in fact, given how much Lara Croft fan art is around, there is a good chance that already exists but perhaps is named differently (to avoid copyright issues etc). Alternatively, you may be able to combine Leony hair with a braid from a different hair and maybe depending on how well you can match the colours and the angles you take then it won't look like they were ever separate. Pretty sure there have been promo renders for things where the PA has used a kit-bashed hair and it was not immediately obvious and so it's definitely possible.

edited January 7

SofaCitizen said:

I understand that. G8 was the current generation when I started and so most of my stuff is there. I am not against using stuff from one generation on the other but it doesn't always go so smoothly.

Yep. Especially when it's G9 the model in question. Also, I already have a bunch of custom G8's that are perfect for my tasks. So... no, no G9 for me for now.

Ahh, well that doesn't sound like too much to ask then - in fact, given how much Lara Croft fan art is around, there is a good chance that already exists but perhaps is named differently (to avoid copyright issues etc). Alternatively, you may be able to combine Leony hair with a braid from a different hair and maybe depending on how well you can match the colours and the angles you take then it won't look like they were ever separate. Pretty sure there have been promo renders for things where the PA has used a kit-bashed hair and it was not immediately obvious and so it's definitely possible.

That is true, there's a lot of promo-arts with some kitbashed hairs. And it's definitely possible to get Leony hair and a braid from somewhere else. But there's a massive "but" here. I'm doing animation. And it feels like attaching a free-hanging braid to a hair would create a lot of pain in the ass. Not to mention that DS already gives some of that :)
    As for the existing "kind of LC hairs", they are those looking like $#1& ones. Most of them were made during the V4 times, give or take. So I simply see them as unusable. (Also, I like when my things are perfect :) )

Post edited by feldarzt on

feldarzt said:

That is true, there's a lot of promo-arts with some kitbashed hairs. And it's definitely possible to get Leony hair and a braid from somewhere else. But there's a massive "but" here. I'm doing animation. And it feels like attaching a free-hanging braid to a hair would create a lot of pain in the ass. Not to mention that DS already gives some of that :)

Oh! Yes, that would most likely not work then, you will need a proper connected hair for that :(

I will wish you luck then, hopefully someone suitable will see the post and take up the challenge :)

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 846

feldarzt In case it fits the bill, OOT has this hair for G9. You can adjust and parent it to a G8, rather than autofit it, to preserve the morphs. It's a softer looking style but in some ways similar to the classic Lara Croft hair. It has a long braid and an adjustable messy front, so just one piece to deal with. There may even be an RSSY hair converter (G9 to G8) at some point that might make it easier to use this straight on G8.

Oh wait, it seems MMX Genesis 9 Clones for All might also help. Here's the thread were this was mentioned (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/616716/can-you-use-g9-hair-on-g8)

Hi SapphireBlue,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I really appreciate the attempt to help! That 4-in-1 hair is kind of sort of close, but there are some details that are wrong don't match what I'm looking for. Most notable, the braid/tail base is way too high. Plus some other, smaller things.
    Call me strange, but I'd prefer a perfect hair even if I have to pay much more for it than something "close but not enough". And again, thanks for the suggestion!

SapphireBlue said:

feldarzt In case it fits the bill, OOT has this hair for G9. You can adjust and parent it to a G8, rather than autofit it, to preserve the morphs. It's a softer looking style but in some ways similar to the classic Lara Croft hair. It has a long braid and an adjustable messy front, so just one piece to deal with. There may even be an RSSY hair converter (G9 to G8) at some point that might make it easier to use this straight on G8.

Oh wait, it seems MMX Genesis 9 Clones for All might also help. Here's the thread were this was mentioned (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/616716/can-you-use-g9-hair-on-g8)

Well, looks like the topic is dead on arrival :(

Let's continue here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/669046/how-to-make-hair-for-g8

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775
    edited January 16

Kitbashing multiple hairs together is probably still the way to do it. I know you think "classic Lara Croft hair with the long braid and that "slightly messy" front" describes what you want fully and perfectly, but google images gives me too many possible Lara Croft hairstyles to pick exactly what you're after. Actual pictures of what you want would reall help - you'll need them anyway if you ever find this person to build the hair for you.

If you're able to find two (or more) hair meshes that match your requirements, be aware that Outoftouch has a hair shader product on sale at Rendo that you can apply to any hair - so you can use that to pull the look together. I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to link to it, but it's called "OOT IrayPair Hair Shaders" 

Post edited by chris-2599934 on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,346

Sometimes it helps if you post a picture of the type of hair you are looking for.  Then fellow users can help and make suggestions.  

chris-2599934 said:

Kitbashing multiple hairs together is probably still the way to do it.

I'd really like to avoid it. As I mentioned above, I'm doing animations, and there's going to be quite many of them. And I have big doubts about a braid "by itself" going through dForce properly.

I know you think "classic Lara Croft hair with the long braid and that "slightly messy" front" describes what you want fully and perfectly, but google images gives me too many possible Lara Croft hairstyles to pick exactly what you're after. Actual pictures of what you want would reall help - you'll need them anyway if you ever find this person to build the hair for you.

You're probably right. Well, there are some pics that show what I want decently. This one has a 90%-perfect hair shown from the front. Hair, not the character herself. The only two "buts" I'd mention here is that the braid has to be a little longer (for which a length morph would've been nice to have) and a little thinner (again, a morph for that would've been great to have):

Then there's the Leony Hair product readily available at the DAZ Store. As I said before, I think its front is perfect (with a partial wet setting set to it, not in its dry state), and I would use it as the primary reference for "my" hair's front/head part:

And then there's the classic. This pic shows clearly how long the braid has to be. Probably "Make it like this but less 1997 and more 2024" can be said about it:

If you're able to find two (or more) hair meshes that match your requirements, be aware that Outoftouch has a hair shader product on sale at Rendo that you can apply to any hair - so you can use that to pull the look together. I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to link to it, but it's called "OOT IrayPair Hair Shaders" 

Oh, that's great to know! I'll get that. Thanks for the heads-up!
  • NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

feldarzt said:

I'd really like to avoid it. As I mentioned above, I'm doing animations, and there's going to be quite many of them. And I have big doubts about a braid "by itself" going through dForce properly.

You should be aware that braids are in general not dForceable. Most braided hair is rigged, so when you see a braid behaving floppy in a DAZ Studio render or animation, it's because it's been animated like a limb, not simulated.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few dForce braids out there. For example, this one: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-tara-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-females and this one: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-lea-hair-2-for-genesis-3-and-8-females , and some others (these two are just the first one I got by searching "dForce braids"). So, at the very least, dForce braids exist and are not impossible to create :)

Ninefold said:

You should be aware that braids are in general not dForceable. Most braided hair is rigged, so when you see a braid behaving floppy in a DAZ Studio render or animation, it's because it's been animated like a limb, not simulated.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,650
    edited January 18

feldarzt said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few dForce braids out there. For example, this one: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-tara-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-females and this one: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-lea-hair-2-for-genesis-3-and-8-females , and some others (these two are just the first one I got by searching "dForce braids"). So, at the very least, dForce braids exist and are not impossible to create :)

Ninefold said:

Except on both of those the braids are rigged with bones. According to the descriptions:

Tara Hair - "The hair's plait has an articulate rig consisting of 5 custom bones with ERC dial sliders to help fit your figure poses beyond the 12 sample hair poses provided.

And Lea Hair - "The long plait has an articulate rig consisting of 19 custom bones. Posing the plait is by using the bones with ERC sliders, node transforms, Active Pose Tool, or pose presets. The plaited section does not drape with dForce simulation, however the loose tail at the end can be draped with dForce. Similarly, the bun and topknot do not drape but the topknot wisps can drape. Users may modify these dForce Simulation settings in the Surfaces pane."

Post edited by zombietaggerung on

Well... Okay, my bad.
    But even without the dForce support initially, the hair itself is still what I'm massively interested in. Be it with a bone-based braid or whatever.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,650
    edited January 18

Sorry, friend. I don't mean to discourage you, but what you're asking for is unfortunately not as easy as it seems. Have you considered trying one of these two freebies: https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/88062/candy-braids-hair-for-genesis-8-females or https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/90836/amv-braid-hair-g8f-ds ?

Or even this? It comes with the hair: https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/77959/retro-heroine-8-outfit

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
    edited January 19

zombietaggerung said:

Sorry, friend. I don't mean to discourage you, but what you're asking for is unfortunately not as easy as it seems.

I wonder why it is not as easy as it seems. There are people capable of making good G8 hairs and there's me who's willing to pay a reasonable sum for making one based on my description. You don't mean to say that those capable people are working only for DAZ, chained to their computers in a basement somewhere in the middle of a desert? :)

Yep. Tried the first one and the last one. The first one would have been a good option if it was made of ten times less polygons than it is (and its poly count is above a million). And the second and the third ones are belonging to the category that I characterized here as "looking like $#!&". I mean, for a freebie, they're good enough. But that's not what I want.

Post edited by feldarzt on
  • feldarzt said:

zombietaggerung said:

Sorry, friend. I don't mean to discourage you, but what you're asking for is unfortunately not as easy as it seems.

I wonder why it is not as easy as it seems. There are people capable of making good G8 hairs and there's me who's willing to pay a reasonable sum for making one based on my description. You don't mean to say that those capable people are working only for DAZ, chained to their computers in a basement somewhere in the middle of a desert? :)

Yep. Tried the first one and the last one. The first one would have been a good option if it was made of ten times less polygons than it is (and its poly count is above a million). And the second and the third ones are belonging to the category that I characterized here as "looking like $#!&". I mean, for a freebie, they're good enough. But that's not what I want.

No of course I don't mean that. What I mean is, most good hair creators have moved on to G9 and are deeply unwilling to return to G8, especially not for a one off commission unless they are making a couple of thousand dollars off of said commission. Unfortunately most daz PAs do this for a living so they have to balance time/effort/return. 

I see your point, and it's probably not too far from the truth. But you can't speak for all of them. I can't too, and the 100% absence of them here in this thread probably proves your point. But I kind of hope that there are always some exceptions to any rule. Besides, there are always options. Like, for instance, the hair's in question exclusivity. It can be temporary, like keep it exclusive for me for X months and then put it on the market. Things are negotiable, especially when talking about such commissions.

zombietaggerung said:

feldarzt said:

zombietaggerung said:

No of course I don't mean that. What I mean is, most good hair creators have moved on to G9 and are deeply unwilling to return to G8, especially not for a one off commission unless they are making a couple of thousand dollars off of said commission. Unfortunately most daz PAs do this for a living so they have to balance time/effort/return. 

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,514
    edited January 20

feldarzt said:

I see your point, and it's probably not too far from the truth. But you can't speak for all of them. I can't too, and the 100% absence of them here in this thread probably proves your point. But I kind of hope that there are always some exceptions to any rule. Besides, there are always options. Like, for instance, the hair's in question exclusivity. It can be temporary, like keep it exclusive for me for X months and then put it on the market. Things are negotiable, especially when talking about such commissions.

zombietaggerung said:

feldarzt said:

zombietaggerung said:

If you are willing to pay, two grand minimum or more, some PA's might accommodate your request. But know this. You buy their time (hire them for your project product) and the product is yours. It is not cheap. You can't say make it for me and release it in 6 mos for others because that is wanting to have your cake and eat it too. Impossible. That scenerio benefits only you and it has to be a win win. A win for you and a win for them. Exclusivity equals money.  Else you cross your fingers and shop what is out their for all of us to buy. I hired a PA to create a character I designed, so because I designed it that was not part of the cost. A PA's time is valuable and a product they would make could be a 'buy-out' bought by DAZ as a DAZ Original (sold for a bulk sum) or sold to the masses for bulk sales. If you can't 'buy-out' your product like Daz would, than your only option is to hope it appears in the store. There is no such thing as temporary exclusive use ( . . . unless your going thru divorce and addressing the use of dwelling)

Post edited by ArtAngel on

LOL, ArtAngel! laugh

You got it all wrong. No one is saying "make it temporarily exclusive for free" or something. All I'm saying is that it can be negotiable in a way that I pay the either pay some kind of a full price and keep the hair for myself OR paying an almost full price but making the hair exclusive for some months. Ain't that a win-win? And please, let's not count my money here. If I can get myself a top-notch PC with a pair of star GPUs for rendering, I probably can afford the product in question.

ArtAngel said:

If you are willing to pay, two grand minimum or more, some PA's might accommodate your request. But know this. You buy their time (hire them for your project product) and the product is yours. It is not cheap. You can't say make it for me and release it in 6 mos for others because that is wanting to have your cake and eat it too. Impossible. That scenerio benefits only you and it has to be a win win. A win for you and a win for them. Exclusivity equals money.  Else you cross your fingers and shop what is out their for all of us to buy. I hired a PA to create a character I designed, so because I designed it that was not part of the cost. A PA's time is valuable and a product they would make could be a 'buy-out' bought by DAZ as a DAZ Original (sold for a bulk sum) or sold to the masses for bulk sales. If you can't 'buy-out' your product like Daz would, than your only option is to hope it appears in the store. There is no such thing as temporary exclusive use ( . . . unless your going thru divorce and addressing the use of dwelling)